[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Here's how Maple Globe went for me

KhorpionKhorpion
Reactions: 855
edited January 2021 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
To preface this: I think that conceptually, the Maple Globe Event is one of the most interesting and exciting I’ve seen. Having the ability to customize a aesthetically pleasing, fully customizable chair including the choice to add BGM to your chair (a Maple first as far as I know, please correct me if I’m wrong) is really neat. Having a medal and additional customization in the way of the spinning Maple Leaves that recognize and reward the diligent is wonderful. The grind, drop rate, and unreasonable demands of the event? I cannot fathom how it made it through to live servers and past NEXON testing teams.

--

I got my lv 11 Globe Chair. But I did not complete the event to its intended fullest (3 Gold Maple Stars + Maple Globe Collector Medal) despite:

53 hours farmed cumulatively in Heroes of Maple and Black Heaven blockbusters for S Rank figures Lil Phantom and Lil Orchid, respectively.
13.5 hours farmed cumulatively in Grand Athenaeum for S Rank BGMs Way Back Home and Primrose.
~$140 spent on Gachapon for the 3 S rank materials.
10.5 billion mesos spent cumulatively to get the 50 chair displays for the Gold Right Maple Leaf.
7 days of capping out 15 chair interacts for the Gold Left Maple Leaf.
Multiple days’ worth of Pollo/Fritto runs across multiple characters including buying out coupons from the AWAKE bamboo shoot shop to acquire enough globe chairs for the level up.
Days’ worth of Flag Race to obtain the S Rank Swing Chair.
Hours of runs cumulatively in Dimensional Invasion / Ghost Park / Evolution Lab for Catch Breath / Ghost / Fly poses, respectively.
Maxing out harvesting condensed crystal energies across 8+ characters for days to get the associated S Rank materials (Elodin/Elluel in particular gave me the hardest trouble).
Days of completing VJ/Arcana/Esfera dailies on multiple characters to get the S Rank BGMs for the 3 areas.

So why didn’t I finish the event? What S ranks am I missing?

Capping out 7 runs of Monster Park since the start of the event to today, the final reset before the event’s end, only to get two of the three S rank expression. I ended up missing the Zzz expression.

I fell short of completing the S rank materials and ultimately getting the Maple Globe Collector Medal + the Gold Center Maple star because of a factor that I did perfectly, but I pulled the short end of the stick on RNG. And now I get the pleasure of being reminded every time I sit on my Globe Chair https://imgur.com/a/kXGZQnD that I did not complete the event and get all the chair customizations I desired + don’t have a medal that represents all the efforts I went through, listed above, because I did everything right, but it was out of my control. To be locked out of not only the Gold Center Maple Leaf, but also SILVER because expressions are lv 8. And to stare at the Red Center Maple Leaf that inaccurately represents the grind I was put through to obtain 30/31 S Rank materials when the Red Leaf represents only 16/31 of them as per the event criteria.

I think as Maplers, myself included, there are probably moments we look back on and say “I could have done things differently.” It could be in the pondering moments after a failed boss run, staring at mesos/droplets farmed and saying to ourselves that we could have farmed more, looking at a missed opportunity and saying I could have participated more/been present more, etc. In the case of the Globe Event, if I were to fall short of completing it, I expected the reason to be that I wasn’t able to get the S rank farmable items or did not invest enough IRL money into Gachapon. In which case, I would find myself ruminating “I could have farmed more…I could have spent more money.” That ultimately was not the case, and the reason instead to be I did everything correctly by way of Monster Park and still failed…The last reason I expected to fail this event.

The Maple Globe Event is undoubtedly the most time intensive, greatest sink in multiple areas, cosmetic event, and dare I say event in general, I have every participated in in MapleStory.

Imagine creating a cosmetic event where the designated criteria for full completion rides on unreasonable drop rate items, pay to win methods, and to still have a chance despite it all to fail even after doing everything correct. And not to mention, with the NEXON team having all this in mind, still allowing the event to make it through to live servers in its current state, and to limit it to less than 3 weeks.

Having a game that rewards persistence and patience eventually, even if you run unlucky, is one thing. But to even imagine up an event scenario where failure is possible even after persistence and patience, and having it go through to live servers knowing it lacks consideration of the players’ time?

I don’t even use any of the 3 S rank materials obtained from Gachapon because I don’t like how they look aesthetically. I obtained them for the sake of the event completion. Because the completionist I am combined with the chair collector in me motivated me to pursue it. Despite the grinds I listed above, the only S rank materials I actually use are Sparkling Transparent Glass, Lil Phantom/Orchid, Swing Chair, Primrose BGM. And I would have used Lil Alicia instead of Lil Phantom if I actually had the time to invest into learning Tower of Oz floor 48 and clearing the tower for the first time, but instead had that spent farming the S rank materials needed for completion.

The sheer hours grinded, the 10.5 billion meso sink, the ~$140 sunk in Gachapon. And to lose it all, to have the S material grind and overall designated event completion criteria to go down the drain. Because I was diligent with monster park and did everything I could to not get the final Zzz expression I needed. Because of a drool expression I wasn’t even going to use. Reboot is inherently at a greater disadvantage than Regular Server players because of the inability to trade. Full completion of the event is reliant on personal grind and RNG without any other option.

I’m just 1 story. I’m just 1 Mapler. I’m 1 voice. I want this post to not just represent me as a very discouraged and frustrated Mapler, but the others who were unable to complete the event because of their circumstances and bad rng (not everyone has the time to farm UNREASONABLY rare items / spend hundreds on gachapon / farm enough to invest 10.5b into a cosmetic event), the others who gave up or were discouraged from completing what, otherwise, was a lovely event conceptually.

The playerbase has a right to speak up, and the company in charge has the responsibility and obligation to acknowledge when they are at fault.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want and expect compensation. I think I can speak for many Maplers when I say an event extension is fitting to say the least.

Personally, given the circumstances, I believe it’s justified to ask that I am given the Gold Center Maple Leaf + Maple Globe Collector metal. I genuinely believe it’s deserved because the limiting factor was RNG despite maxing out on Monster Park from start-finish of the event.

For those that read this to the end, thank you for listening and giving me a platform where I can vent and express my thoughts and be heard. I hope the CMs and others at NEXON see this post as well. I would love to hear others' experiences with this event as well.

Comments

• EstarkoEstarko
    Reactions: 630
    edited January 2021
    I think you went way too far with this event, and also to spend 50 hours+, 140$ and 10bil for it

I only think the event could be extended a little bit, because I didn't get to the music level haha. since that part seemed cool to me but I think it's not too bad. little sad that I didn't reach that point dude to having stayed at chairs level for days.

In the end I'm actually thinking should I get the empty globe as the chair or add decorations to it, it still look nice and empty globes are cool too

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2021
    That's such horribly bad luck. I feel for you.
    I think that those who designed this event (probably CMS; this looks like a miniature version of their My House system), thought that making most of the globe materials tradable, justified their low obtainability.
    They just weren't thinking of Reboot at all.
    But I believe that the people in charge of GMS should have looked at this event more carefully before throwing it at us. Not to mention testing it to make sure it even works right... thing had bugs on top of its harsh design.

Also, https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/1098/rng-events-should-have-a-diligence-backstop/p1
  • EstarkoEstarko
    Reactions: 630
    edited January 2021
    edit: sorry I think u might be in reboot, if so then it's probably a lot harder for reboot players to get the globe items since there is no trade between characters!! omg