[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Burned out cause of the many flaws/glitches etc

StoyoStoyo
Reactions: 210
The following is what i wrote when i opened a ticket to say my thoughts about the flaws of the game so i will simply copy-paste it here.

"This is the last ticket i will be opening as from now on either i will quit the game or just play for "fun" knowing its a faulty (apart from rigged) game, as much fun can someone have anyway, i will explain right away.

I am a returning player, i last played 10 years ago and my memories was not that good as i remember the game was pretty hard but it had its nice moments and the atmosphere-graphics are deffinitely peasing to the eye and relaxing. So i decided to try the game once again and see how it goes, quarantine, lots of time.

First thing i notice is that a lot has changed and thats really good cause it shows that the game is still developing (but not nessesarily improving). There is a sea of information but theres no guide through it, maybe through the basics and sometimes not even this. I spend a good half amount of my time searching the internet about the hows and whys for lots of things/mechanics/quests and ive spend many many hours on the game the last 2 weeks.

All this time ive constantly noticed quests that where either badly phrased with vague information or even misleading and this slowly builds up frustration. Apart from that, what hit the edge was recent quest i did, i was waiting to beat Magnus to get 5th job (you could add an extra entry without rewards for that quest so we dont have to wait our entry to reset) so i decided to do my old quests. I was doing a quest at Leafre about a dragon with Chief Tatamo that at some point sells you an items that costs 50m(!) messos. As you can imagine i didnt even read the quest and just held "interact" so i bought it without even knowing, i realised it after i saw i was missing 50m out of nowhere and did - as usual - a search on the internet. Apart of that i couldnt even complete the quest cause it asks a party or at least 3 poor guys that have done the same "mistake" and in this server its impossible to find... Even if i could im totally uniterested in the rewards. So im robbed of 50m and forced to abandon a quest that id never do if i knew the reward/cost beforehand.

For the fact that i didnt read the quest and held "interact" i can assure you that not a single person reads all these quests before hitting the button. Its like reading "Terms of Use" when installing a program, using google or anything like that, you never expect them to hide a fee in there and imagine how youd feel if you found out there actually is a big one.
I have to admit that the game has great potential and despite the fact that its pretty old its deffinitely worth investing time for the depth and the atmosphere. On the other hand the flaws and defects of the mechanics and quests can quickly burn out someone, well at least me. I could mention many more badly designed things but i have no courage to do so, just for Mechanical Hearts i could write a whole essay and generally i have only been playing for about 2 weeks...
I am sorry for the long post but i had to write it even i know the possibilities to actually have some impact are miniscule. I hope you work to make it a more enjoyable game for us regarding playability and game mechanics.

Have a nice day and thank you for you patience"

As much as i tried to like the game, i simply cant cause it wont let me... What i wrote here is just a fraction from what i had experienced the 2+weeks i played it. If i was to write everything (just from playing as a Thief, every class experiences few different quests as far as i understand), this could be a full time job which i wouldnt take cause id have to read the whole contract to be sure i wont have to pay them at the end of the month. The game has the potential to be one of the best in the genre even in 2021, even after almost 2 decades, if only it didnt have lots of minor and major issues that caused me to burn out over time. Maybe it was my fault for playing so many hours in so little time. If i came across the issues less often i maybe i could handle them, or if i wasnt robbed of 50m right on the 5th job adv where you have to use a ton of money to open nodes, maybe.

Im sorry if all these sounded harsh, have a nice time with the game, i didnt.
MapleSapo

Comments

• SenzuBeanSenzuBean
    Reactions: 775
    edited April 2021
    Yep, even I quit 4x
    Started new acc
    Got Legendary Full Scroll Gollux Equips Gave it away
    Got to 2B, gave it away
    Got 2B back...gave it away again
    (Dunno why, it was just so boring to continue)
    And I'm back again feeling the limit again..

Progress is extremely slow in an MMORPG I get it

But there's no fun within this pacing. It dulls you out
    And even high level players quit after feeling the breaking point of the monotonous grind
    People hate the Daily's Mechanic which is like a job, but the only reasonable way to progress
    I see people spamming "Taking a break, Maple got too boring" as a common occurrence in my Guild's Discord so it isn't just you

Perhaps the pacing of Reboot would be more fun, but I can't get around investing so much time for mere glory (in which you will never reach Rank 1 because it's been too long) and equipment invested over countless hours to be worth nothing
    MapleSapo
  • MapleSapoMapleSapo
    Reactions: 745
    edited April 2021
    SenzuBean wrote: »
    Yep, even I quit 4x
    Started new acc
    Got Legendary Full Scroll Gollux Equips Gave it away
    Got to 2B, gave it away
    Got 2B back...gave it away again
    (Dunno why, it was just so boring to continue)
    And I'm back again feeling the limit again..

Progress is extremely slow in an MMORPG I get it

But there's no fun within this pacing. It dulls you out
    And even high level players quit after feeling the breaking point of the monotonous grind
    People hate the Daily's Mechanic which is like a job, but the only reasonable way to progress
    I see people spamming "Taking a break, Maple got too boring" as a common occurrence in my Guild's Discord so it isn't just you

Perhaps the pacing of Reboot would be more fun, but I can't get around investing so much time for mere glory (in which you will never reach Rank 1 because it's been too long) and equipment invested over countless hours to be worth nothing

"People hate the Daily's Mechanic which is like a job, but the only reasonable way to progress" This is the big problem in the game (or one of the big ones). You have your daily things in real life, some got a job, etc, then you finally have an hour or two to relax, then you think "ok, I have to log in to do my dailies and farm mesos so I can try a chance to progress a little this week". And this is the feeling every single day as a mapler. It is basically more of a job than having fun. You can't just log in to party quest, or enjoy questlines or something else because you know you will get behind other players and take a longer time to achieve things, becase the main way (maybe the only one?) to progress is doing the same thing every day - dailies and farming.

Yesterday I ended my day, and usually I log in right away. I thought "I log in, do the dailies, and farm on my kanna. I must use my 3x coupons too, they will expire tomorrow." But i wanted to have fun, not another night working. Then I turned off my PC and watched movies. I must say, somehow this felt like vacation. And imo this feeling suposed to come from the act of playing this game, not when Im taking a break from it.

So yeah..many things must change to make this game actually a healthy thing in maplers life.
  • StoyoStoyo
    Reactions: 210
    edited April 2021
    I dont think you actually understood my problem but what you said is also very true. My problem is i constantly run into broken mechanics, faulty/misleading quests and the worst that made me quit was a 50m quest "roberry". I am reffering to faulty game structure/mechanics, problems that are known for years and are not being solved, what you said falls in the same category sort of. The game didnt even let me reach the point where i got bored of it, it tired me out with its faultiness, id say an indie team could make a more stable and well built game if they actually cared, i had at least 1 crash each day both on Steam and on Nexon launcher, apart from the several gameplay problems, once i got disconnected getting a "Youve been caught hacking" message mid-battle. Im done with this parody of a game, uninstalled and left my review on Steam hoping to save someone elses time.

One good thing is i didnt buy anything with real money so i can say all i lost is my time and my mood.