[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Tower Of Oz - 49F - Sand Dwarf Bug

VaelVael
Reactions: 936
Member, Private Tester
edited March 2021 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Incorrect Monster Name

Brief bug summary: Sand Dwarf is not an accepted answer on 49F in Tower of Oz

More details: In the 49th floor of Tower of Oz, you are tasked to enter the name of a monster, of which you can only see a silhouette of. There is currently a longstanding bug where if the monster "Sand Dwarf" (level 90, in Nihal Desert) appears as one of the monsters, all answers will be incorrect. I have tried many different combinations of the name, including putting a space at the end of the name, two spaces, all lowercase letters, no spaces, etc.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Enter 49F in Tower Of Oz
2. Get "Sand Dwarf" as the monster that Dorothy's Illusion gives you
3. Try Entering "Sand Dwarf" as the name
4. Dorothy's Illusion says the answer is wrong

Character name: Vaei

Character level: 275

Character job: Cannon Master

World name: Reboot (NA)

Date and time of the incident: 12:25am March 21st, 2021 (PST)

Video of the incident:

In the video, I attempt many times with different combinations of spaces as well as upper and lower case letters.

Comments

• KannaMontanaKannaMontana
    It's been a while since I did Oz, but if I remember correctly, the answer is a different familiar name. One from nihal desert, I think.
  • VaelVael
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2021
    Bumping - bug is still present in v222.2
  • VaelVael
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2021
    Bug is still present in v.223.
  • VaelVael
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2021
    Bug is still present in v.226.
  • VaelVael
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2021
    I believe I have figured out the cause of the bug.

On 49F, Dorothy's question prompt will remove all trailing spaces (what the reasoning for this is - I don't know).
    Proof of this claim: https://streamable.com/joppex
    As you can see, I enter a ton of spaces at the end of the monster's name - and it is still correct!

As for why this causes Sand Dwarf to result in an incorrect answer every time:
    Sand Dwarf currently has a space at the end of its in-game name.

Proof of this claim below -
    [Figure 1] - Sand Rat (and every other mob in the game) has the parenthesis immediately following the end of the monster name - however Sand Dwarf does not.
    [Figure 2] - When searching Sand Dwarf, it still appears even when you include a space after the end of its name. This is not the case for any other mob in the game. This can be seen in Figure 2 by the fact that Dark Sand Dwarf no longer appears after including the space at the end.
    It is therefore evident that Sand Dwarf has a space at the end of the string.

Why does this cause Dorothy's Illusion to not accept the answer? Because Dorothy's Illusion is looking for "Sand Dwarf " (WITH A TRAILING SPACE) as an answer, but after the text box clears the trailing spaces, your entered answer becomes "Sand Dwarf" regardless of if you included the space or not.

The solution to this bug is simply deleting the trailing space at the end of the Sand Dwarf string.

Hoping to hear an update on this soon, as this bug has been in the game for over 3 years at least, and can end a run.
  • GhibleeGhiblee
    Reactions: 3,795
    edited September 2021
    Hello!
    This issue with the 'Sand Dwarf' answer on Tower of Oz 49th floor should be addressed during our September 16 maintenance.
    Please let us know if you still experience this issue afterward.
    Thank you for the detailed elaboration on the issue! :)

- Fixed the issue where Sand Dwarf did not have a correct answer on the Tower of Oz 49th floor.
    https://maplestory.nexon.net/news/69245/scheduled-maintenance-september-16-2021
    Vael
  • VaelVael
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2021
    Ghiblee wrote: »
    Hello!
    This issue with the 'Sand Dwarf' answer on Tower of Oz 49th floor should be addressed during our September 16 maintenance.
    Please let us know if you still experience this issue afterward.
    Thank you for the detailed elaboration on the issue! :)

- Fixed the issue where Sand Dwarf did not have a correct answer on the Tower of Oz 49th floor.
    https://maplestory.nexon.net/news/69245/scheduled-maintenance-september-16-2021

Thank you Ghiblee! Myself and the dedicated Tower of Oz community greatly appreciate your help in getting this fixed! <3