[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Is there any correlation of familiar type/skill?

MawgMawg
Reactions: 1,350
edited June 2021 in General Chat
I still don't really understand this :-(

Back in the day, it was simple - Big Spider, end of.

Now, it _seems_ to me that just about any familiar can get just about any stat.
Q: Is that correct, or is there a correlation?

It also _seems_ to me that familiars from higher level monsters _tend_ to have higher stats.
Q: am I just imagining that?

There are a ton of guides out there for the new system, but none of them seem to address that.

If I am going to spend countless future hours watching my main being trailed by 3 familiars (*) then if skills are randomly distributed, I will hunt familiars from monsters which I find visually appealing.

(*) plus a bunch of pets and an android - does that bother anyone else? I would pay to make them invisible :-/

Comments

• happycowshappycows
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited June 2021
    there is no correlation anymore between the monster and the effect of the familiar. its random. its more about the "rank" of the familiar now, which you can tell based on the color of the outline of the card [greyish = common, blue = rare, etc. going up to unique and legendary] for the better stats u need to rank up ur familiars to the higher ranks

Mawg
  • MawgMawg
    edited June 2021
    Thanks for that. I have another question - ought I to post a new one?

Being old school , I hunted for about 200 Big Spider familiars, until I got one with ++ meso & drop.

Yesterday, I ranked it up and the skills changed !

Did I miss something? What good is that? Eventually I could have a top rank familial with 2 @ "% chance to be xxx" ?

Is it possible that I made a mistake, or do the skill change on rank up? I had expected the same skills, but with higher values e.g MATT 1% becomes MATT 2%

Thanks again for your help
  • happycowshappycows
    edited June 2021
    yea no problem. i had no clue what was going on either when i started playing again this year. in fact, when i had last played, there were no such thing as familiars in the first place! so i wasn't familiar with either version of the system.

As far as i am aware, when you rank up, your potential gets reset. so best to not get attached to the potential when u start ranking up. i think most people get a ton of the same familiar, then start ranking up, and then hope that their unique or legendary familiar yields something good. i also think its more of a mid game / end game thing to maximize you familiar stats

Personally, i don't even bother ranking up, because i've gotten "good enough" lines from the common / rares - such as 7% crit rate, item drop rate, 15% ied. so, i unlocked the second slot by completing 1 badge, and can now summon two 15% ied familiars, which at my level is just fine.

Mawg
  • MawgMawg
    edited June 2021
    Wait, are you saying that I don't need high level monsters to get high values of x, as in x% crit rate, x% IED?

You could have gotten your 7% crit rate, item drop rate, 15% ied from snails?
  • happycowshappycows
    edited June 2021
    yes, i believe that is the case. i think the stats are just available based on RANK and have nothing to do with the mob in particular. [most people probably accumulate their familiars after grinding on snails xD so that's prob why u don't see them around much]

to clarify, you still would want to rank up if you want certain lines [i don't think you can get boss damage from common / rares] and you still would need to rank up if you want a higher value from lines that you could get at lower ranks [meaning, if you want more than 15% ied lines, you need to reveal higher ranking familiars] i settled for 15% ied because i'm too lazy to deal with more RNG from ranking up xD - different ranks have a different pool of available values and lines

my ied and crit rate came from rares/commons [don't remember exactly which rank it was] but i have never revealed an epic familiar so far. the mobs that i got them from were from magatia, ludi and kritias
    Mawg
  • MawgMawg
    edited June 2021
    Thanks again, but I am still not 100% clear. If the "skills" are random, why would I *ever* want to rank up familiars with good skills?

E.g if I have 7% Crit rate & want 15%, it seems to me that I should leave that familiar untouched & get another with crap skills & keep ranking it up in the hope that I win the lottery on the final rank up & get Crit Rate 22% ??!!

Surely that can't be correct?
  • happycowshappycows
    edited June 2021
    To directly answer your first question, you wouldn't rank up your familiars with good stats. Familiars are easy enough to get that you don't have to ditch the good reveals. you would just start over with something else and see what you get

Alot of players go for the juicy 30% + boss damage familiars which they can only get at certain ranks, so they must rank up

for players like me, i settle for stuff like 7% crit rate and 15% ied. thats good enough for me and if i ever feel like ranking up to epic and unique i would use other familiars and leave my good ones untouched.

So basically, you can absolutely settle for your already revealed cards and you can keep those in your collection and call it a day on those. At the same time, you can collect new familiars and rank those up if there are specific lines you are aiming for and just remember, different ranks have a different pool of available values and lines
    Mawg
  • MawgMawg
    edited June 2021
    I see. It's all clear now, thank you *very* much for your patience and understanding.

Since I would have to spend along time with a lousy familiar, ranking it up & hoping to win the jackpot, then repeating until I finally get a good one at top rank - which could take years - I see no reason to go beyond whatever was dropped & revealed as good.