[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Merge all reg servers

maintencemaintence
Reactions: 760
edited April 2022 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hello, I think GMS would benefit a lot from merging all of the reg servers into one server with more channels. As it stands, Bera makes up about 14% of the population, Scania is 9%, Aurora is around 7%, and Elysium is around 6%. Compared to Reboot server, all these servers merged into one would still be less of a population than that server. Many people are starting to quit this game and the servers feel a lot less populated, causing a loss of motivation within the player base. I also have friends in Bera server that I'd like to play this game with again that I was separated from years ago due to world transfer since I was taking a break at the time. If new players were to decide to play this game, they would most likely go to Reboot, due to the higher overall population, which doesn't help any of the non-reboot server's case.

With the recent fixes and upkeep to the channels of various servers, I think it would be a good chance to consider merging the non-reboot servers into one server with 30 channels. This would overall increase the health of the game, bring motivation to people and possibly bring back some players who have left this game. From a personal point of view, it feels bad that I can't be in the same server as my friends that I have made in the past on this game due to not being around for one server transfer, which is a problem that many others deal with on this game as well. I'm not in the position to drop everything on my current server and start fresh either, because I would lose way too much progression and it would be devastating to start from the beginning. That being said, I hope that this is taken into consideration as I genuinely believe that something like this would help the current state of the game. I know many other people that can agree with me about this and I would like to see this suggestion taken into consideration and possibly implemented sometime in the future. Thank you.
DemurnaWONDERGUY1franky51Kanna3840
  1. Do you think a server merge would benefit GMS19 votes
    1. Yes
       79% (15 votes)
    2. No
       21% (4 votes)

Comments

• happycowshappycows
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited April 2022
    I don't think they should merge regular servers in order to "bring motivation to people" - I don't think it would realistically change much in that regard. For the most part, motivation to return to this game and continue playing it rests solely on the appeal of the actual content, in my opinion. Seeing as this game is mostly solo anyways [minus late game bossing] merging the worlds would not have much of an impact on people who already don't enjoy the core gameplay.

I do sympathize with you being split off from your friends do to previous world leaps and such, but i don't see that as a compelling reason to merge the servers, either.

If anything, the only reason i could see Nexon deciding to merge the regular worlds, is if the cost to maintain them all separately becomes problematic. I must confess, however, that it seems inevitable given the trajectory of the regular worlds in recent years. It seems to me that when you zoom out and look at Maple, that the regular servers continue losing worlds, and players, and that eventually they will have to merge [as much as i don't want to see it happen]

I am curious to hear what people from the non-bera worlds think about this topic. I imagine many enjoy their "quiet" channels and not having to compete for maps. I wonder how they feel about their trading markets. If there is enough activity in the markets to sustain their economy in a healthy way, then i see no reason to merge at the moment.
  • maintencemaintence
    edited April 2022
    On the contrary, I think many would believe that their motivation to play this game comes from the people around them that play as well. I for one was certainly more motivated when some of the other people I knew were playing and trying to accomplish certain goals with their character. Nowadays I feel like these goals are more of a chore or task that I'm just forcing myself to do, which are things people have given up on at this point and just ceased playing altogether.

The "core gameplay" can be considered many things and can also have different interpretations for people at various levels of the game. All I can really do is just keep grinding now for "more numbers", but in the end I don't think that some of the less populated servers have as much of an opportunity in this game as the more populated ones and perhaps vice versa I guess. I think that there are definitely some parts of the game that I can enjoy alone, however at some point a less populated and quiet server is just not as fun to play in and I'd be willing to suffer the cons for the pros in this case.
    Demurna
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2022
    From what I've seen, this request always comes from people who took a long break from the game, missed the World Leap event, and came back recently to find their world emptier and lonelier than they liked.
    The people who have actually been playing continuously all this time, chose to stay in their worlds during the World Leap, and generally prefer the peace and quiet of those worlds.

What would happen if the worlds were merged?
    The people who returned from hiatus will discover that the game has changed. Even in a more crowded world, nobody ever trains together, does PQs, or even talks in-game. All socializing is done in Discords. So these people will either learn the new way of socializing - which they could have done in "empty" worlds too, we have guilds and the guilds have Discords - or they'll decide the new Maplestory is not fun and quit.
    Meanwhile, the people who've played continuously, and liked being able to easily find burning maps and not have to fight botters for good maps, will suffer the ills of overcrowded servers that they tried so hard to avoid. Maybe they'll continue playing, despite being less happy, and maybe they'll quit too.
    All in all, doesn't sound like a good move.
  • LaudierLaudier
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited April 2022
    i think that's a good idea but imo i would start smaller just with aurora and elysium. both those worlds seems similar marketwise imo.
  • maintencemaintence
    edited April 2022
    AKradian wrote: »
    From what I've seen, this request always comes from people who took a long break from the game, missed the World Leap event, and came back recently to find their world emptier and lonelier than they liked.
    The people who have actually been playing continuously all this time, chose to stay in their worlds during the World Leap, and generally prefer the peace and quiet of those worlds.

The people who returned from hiatus will discover that the game has changed. Even in a more crowded world, nobody ever trains together, does PQs, or even talks in-game. All socializing is done in Discords. So these people will either learn the new way of socializing - which they could have done in "empty" worlds too, we have guilds and the guilds have Discords - or they'll decide the new Maplestory is not fun and quit.
    Meanwhile, the people who've played continuously, and liked being able to easily find burning maps and not have to fight botters for good maps, will suffer the ills of overcrowded servers that they tried so hard to avoid. Maybe they'll continue playing, despite being less happy, and maybe they'll quit too.

With the part about how socializing is done through discord, at one point I was a player who by chance was at a certain point in life where I was too busy at the time to keep up with this game, and I had to take a break as a result to focus on some other priorities. It doesn't mean I didn't lose my passion to play the game during this period of time, but I couldn't make time to manage with events. As a result, when I came back I got punished for it by being split off from my friends and the guild that I was in. I didn't want to just forego the progress I had made on my already existing character so I could be with my friends, I wanted to keep both my progression and be in the same server as the people I had made connections with in this game. I don't find much of those opportunities in the server I'm in currently. I've requested many times to be able to be transferred to the same server that my friends are in, but I continue to get the response that it's not a service Nexon is currently offering. However, this feels unfair because by chance I wasn't around for that one and only one period of time where there was a world leap. I'm sure there are many other players who feel the same way, but don't even bother to speak up because with the way this community feels most of the time, whenever they have an issue they're unfaithful that Nexon will accommodate them, and they tell me the same thing when I speak of this ordeal to them. My seemingly one and only solution would be to just quit my character and start over, but I don't think I should have to sacrifice everything I've worked for in order to be able to move servers. Server merging is something I thought might be an easier solution than doing another world transfer, considering how the current population of some of the regular servers is dropping, and lack of opportunities regarding guilds and socializing follows as a result.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2022
    Have you tried joining a guild in your current server and making new friends?
  • 1franky511franky51
    Reactions: 755
    edited April 2022

Why not just let people like him and others like him (me too) world transfer? That would also be another solid opportunity to email and call old players back. It's been years since the merge, it's not people simply "missing" it.

Edit: Did you just spit misinformation there? I have not seen a "World Leap event" for people to miss.
    WONDERGUYKanna3840
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2022
    1franky51 wrote: »
    Edit: Did you just spit misinformation there? I have not seen a "World Leap event" for people to miss.

It was back in 2017.
  • VinsaneVinsane
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited April 2022
    The best solution would be to make the auction house universal. Supply and demand will drive in more players to play even in empty worlds. Also @happycows My personal experience, opinion on the trade market, it's been bad in Elysium. No one knows prices, a minuscule or dry number of supplies causes any opportunity to the new players to growth. Lack of frenzy sellers due to the 2x drop coupon removal simply because they see no reason to do business when they make more off training instead of selling.
    WONDERGUY
  • 1franky511franky51
    edited April 2022
    1franky51 wrote: »

It was back in 2017.

2017? So about five years of not having one, you cant just dismiss say we've "missed" it". The context also includes forcing us into a world we didn't want through a merge in 2019 and telling us ohhh make new friends. Please put in a word that a world leap event is warranted.
    WONDERGUY
  • maintencemaintence
    edited April 2022

during my time back to this game after the world leap, I did try to make new friends and join a guild. However, as a result I found that they were pretty cliquey, and when I left, I was bullied and called a scammer by the leader of that guild due to pettiness and spite and this was said in front of numerous other players even though I had been cordial about leaving. This made me feel upset and as a result I shut myself out from talking to people and deleted people who knew about it from my buddy list. Also, an anonymous person had tried to impersonate my ign to cause drama in this server by using the fake letter tactic. I already sent in a ticket regarding that but these are just some examples of why I feel unhappy in this server.
    WONDERGUY
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    Reactions: 1,450
    edited April 2022

I think there's a lot of things incorrect about this post.. You're making a huge generalization that people who want a merge are all people who took a break from the game.. I get that you believe that is your anecdotal experience, but I'm reluctant to believe you are aware of the cadence of gameplay each player complaining of low populated servers has had with maplestory.. And what would that even imply? If someone took a break 5 years ago and missed the transfer event but has been playing for 4 years since, does that negate their opinion? (PS. this is the story of pretty much all maplers plus or minus a few years )

Also, when the transfer event happened in 2017, most players that chose to stay were the ones already in Bera, as they already had a well populated server and it was banned as a transfer option, and iirc, there was a mass-migration to Windia which gutted Khaini/Broa.. Are you really advocating for Elysiums population size?

It also isn't all about socialization for the merge. The main difference for non-reboot servers is the economy. having minimal players in 4 different servers= all of them have minimal items for sale.. This isn't just a problem for convenience, but also the perceived 'resale' value of items is diminished, which will encourage players to jump ship to minimize losses (which is already very obvious looking at some of the non-reboot discord servers)..

Mainly, I agree with the above poster that you can't bring up a transfer event from 5 years ago as a rationale that the 'consistent' players will be punished for this.. someone playing since 2018, or even 2020 doing their dailies is a 'consistent' player. And the complaint about finding burning maps/fighting botters is an argument you've brought up 3-4 years ago. the population of these servers has since decreased so significantly since then that even with a full merge, the difference would be minimal compared to Windia in 2017 for example..

DemurnamaintenceAaronBaron
  • 1franky511franky51
    edited April 2022
    And that same argument he keeps bringing up on discord being a game changer is just straight up gaslighting. We've always had discord, it was just called Skype and Raidcall
    WONDERGUY
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited April 2022
    LMAO still this ...interesting to see how long it will get stubborn ignored
    after countless threads by players in need to merge/move to alive world they just get slap with lame excuses to keep in dead-ghost worlds over and over again
    kudos for trying bring this again and good luck hopefully soon (by looking at recent road map it won't happen this year )
  • maintencemaintence
    edited April 2022
    Thanks for the support and votes guys, I sincerely hope that nexon does at least look at this post and consider how some of the players feel about the current population of some of the reg servers. This is something that I will continue to fight for ever since I came back in 2019. I got separated from the people I play this game with and I wanna be able to enjoy doing the future content that this game is going to release with them. If in anyone else's convenience who feels the same way as I do, please share this thread with others who you might think would feel the same way. Thanks again.
  • AaronBaronAaronBaron
    Reactions: 610
    edited May 2022
    I really do wonder why they try to avoid this issue with really weird excuses. There should've been something done to address this in the years since the last event which was like 5 years ago? There are still people who genuinely want to play in a server with more than a handful of people who missed the leap event or have since come back to a dead world only to probably quit again after a few weeks. I don't understand the rationale of since they missed it, they deserve it unlike the people who kept playing and decided to stay.
  • ZorcelZorcel
    I do agree that server needs to merge. most of servers are dead and few ppl left in smaller servers are quitting too because there are not many ppl to talk to or enjoy content together.
  • LaudierLaudier
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited June 2022
    a super server.. i like it!