[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How's the game been lately?

XenomataXenomata
Reactions: 2,595
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2022 in General Chat
So... I'm an old player. Not pre-BB old, but still pretty old. Earliest memory was the Mercedes/Demon Slayer/Cannoneer being first released. Besides the point though.
I've "quit" the game multiple times over the many years of playing. The last time I "quit" was maybe a year ago, January 2021, and I've not logged back on since.
I'm curious, how has the game been doing in the eyes of people still playing? I'm honestly not interested in getting back into the game, I'm just not happy playing the game anymore but maybe I'll think about playing again when the Explorers update comes round, but for a childhood game I have some memories of (fond and bitter alike), I kind of wanna see where things stand right now.
...oh, if it means anything my highest level character is a Bishop on NAreboot, lv228, Savail. Dunno if that means anything to anyone.

Comments

• happycowshappycows
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited May 2022
    if the last time you played was only january 2021 you prob won't notice that many differences immediately. Lots of quality of life updates though such as boss que no longer being a "que" but rather, an instant teleport to the boss. Some new higher lvl areas [260+] were added to the game, some new bosses [guardian angel slime, seren] - Even two new classes [Kain and Lara] - I can't speak much about reboot as i don't play in the server, but fwiw Nexon has been claiming to be putting in some work on improving the servers, and from what it sounds like reboot is performing better than it did in the past

Perhaps the big thing you will notice is you will be getting some nice EXP when you turn in your Arcane river dailies. There are also some new 'mini game' type dailies in Morass and Esfera, for more symbols

I probably missed some stuff, but i think in the time since you last played its been mostly alot of QOL updates that you will notice as you play again, if you play again. It won't be shocking like returning from pre-bb to now, so things should mostly feel and look similar to you
    Fuhreak
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2022
    happycows wrote: »
    if the last time you played was only january 2021 you prob won't notice that many differences immediately. Lots of quality of life updates though such as boss que no longer being a "que" but rather, an instant teleport to the boss. Some new higher lvl areas [260+] were added to the game, some new bosses [guardian angel slime, seren] - Even two new classes [Kain and Lara] - I can't speak much about reboot as i don't play in the server, but fwiw Nexon has been claiming to be putting in some work on improving the servers, and from what it sounds like reboot is performing better than it did in the past

Perhaps the big thing you will notice is you will be getting some nice EXP when you turn in your Arcane river dailies. There are also some new 'mini game' type dailies in Morass and Esfera, for more symbols

I probably missed some stuff, but i think in the time since you last played its been mostly alot of QOL updates that you will notice as you play again, if you play again. It won't be shocking like returning from pre-bb to now, so things should mostly feel and look similar to you

Ah sorry, I wasn't really asking what's different... I was asking how the game itself has been. As in, has it fallen (further) from grace? Are players in it because the game is still good to some extent, because nostalgia, or because they are legitimately insane?
  • happycowshappycows
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited June 2022
    I think ever since the flame scandal occurred, Nexon has been trying harder to implement QOL updates and other things to try and win players back / improve the game. But tbh, i don't see GMS getting significantly more popular anymore. My impression over the last 1-2 years is that GMS has a pretty loyal, albeit small player-base that is not really growing much. I don't think GMS will "die" anytime soon, since it seems able to monetize pretty well with its current playerbase, but i would say in general it has indeed fallen from grace, in the grand scheme of things. However, i would be happy to be wrong about that :pensive:

I'd like to think most people who play the game still genuinely enjoy it, but addiction is probably a factor. No doubt people return all the time due to "nostalgia," but the nostalgia fades away very quickly, so if people stick around after that, then they probably enjoy the game to some extent.

• Ram001Ram001
    Reactions: 400
    Quitted since 9-10 years ago (MSEA), then came back a week ago. Started new account in Reboot rushed my phantom from 1 to 222 and a few link characters to level 120. Its like kirito mode tbh. Since items are untradable and players are sticking with their own friends/group for bosses (thus its difficult to find someone to carry you for equips). Then looking for an active guild to join, but most of their requirement like level 250++ with few thousands of legion. (I joined a high level mules guild for the buffs, nobody talking inside, and when kindly asking help for hmagnus in henesys just because for the shoulder set purpose, got defamed by random guy as he said why am i asking in the public but not in guild.

LOL this is what i met and felt.

I believe this is the main reason why not much new/returning players continue playing the game as they couldnt get any help or any social from the community. (Well, its not they do not want to help but mostly due to the dailiy/weekly limit).