[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

OMG, What's going on here?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

We're working on the system to ensure it's best for existing and new players that want to join, as opposed to making your overall experience worse. For instance, we could reduce it to 1 comment / discussion every 60 seconds, but that would actually have an impact on all of you. We make a handful of small adjustments, making sure we have the smallest impact on how all of you actually want to use the forums, while also removing the negative stuff.

Made more adjustments this AM, should help.
    Thanks!

I honestly don't see any legitimate forumer creating more than 1 new thread every 5 minutes.
    Comments, maybe. I can imagine two people having a "conversation" at a faster pace.
    But new threads? Unless one is copying the contents for the thread from somewhere else, it takes at least a couple of minutes to create a meaningful post.

Also, specifically for these spammers, could you block non-English threads?
    NiightseekerLilyflower
  • OneLetterOneLetter
    Reactions: 6,380
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

What were the adjustments that were just made?
    You've seen the approval process for new forumers that was turned on, but I had missed turning off the ability for them to post in certain sections. This has also been corrected.

We adjusted the interval for what is considered "flooding" within the forums, and how those forumers get hit with a timeout, or an automatic suspension, based on rules in the back end. I'll be monitoring the logs to ensure none of you get caught up in some false positives.
    NiightseekerSparkzIts2Sharp4UJettLuvsU
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

We're working on the system to ensure it's best for existing and new players that want to join, as opposed to making your overall experience worse. For instance, we could reduce it to 1 comment / discussion every 60 seconds, but that would actually have an impact on all of you. We make a handful of small adjustments, making sure we have the smallest impact on how all of you actually want to use the forums, while also removing the negative stuff.

Made more adjustments this AM, should help.
    Thanks!

I honestly don't see any legitimate forumer creating more than 1 new thread every 5 minutes.
    Comments, maybe. I can imagine two people having a "conversation" at a faster pace.
    But new threads? Unless one is copying the contents for the thread from somewhere else, it takes at least a couple of minutes to create a meaningful post.

I get where you're coming from, but what of when the migration is finalized and we have EU players posting on this forum? Not all of them are native English speakers, I'm sure you understand.
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

Aggraphine

What were the adjustments that were just made?
    You've seen the approval process for new forumers that was turned on, but I had missed turning off the ability for them to post in certain sections. This has also been corrected.

We adjusted the interval for what is considered "flooding" within the forums, and how those forumers get hit with a timeout, or an automatic suspension, based on rules in the back end. I'll be monitoring the logs to ensure none of you get caught up in some false positives.
    Neat, good to know you guys are staying on top of this.
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

What happens when we get the merge and there will be other non-English speaking people?
    Some are going to want help for certain things and Google Translate doesn't really do a great job sometimes.
    I say that because I noticed that there are different languages now when you go to "Get Support" so I feel like some of the new people will come to the forums for help and they don't necessarily speak English very well.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

AKradian
    AKradian said:

I get where you're coming from, but what of when the migration is finalized and we have EU players posting on this forum? Not all of them are native English speakers, I'm sure you understand.

I'm not saying to put the post through a grammar checker and reject it if it isn't perfect English.
    But checking that it at least uses the Roman alphabet would suffice to block these Chinese and Korean spammers.

Aside: Interesting. I see that the "English" clause is no longer in the CoC.

Lilyflower
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    I don't agree that English should be the sole enforced language used on the forums. There will be people who don't speak a lick of English coming when the migration is finished, and it wouldn't be fair to them to be restricted based on the language they speak.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

I don't agree that English should be the sole enforced language used on the forums. There will be people who don't speak a lick of English coming when the migration is finished, and it wouldn't be fair to them to be restricted based on the language they speak.
    They'll have a hard time playing MapleStory, then, since GMS' sole language is English.

As for the forums, will there be VFMs and Nexon staff who can understand what they say?
    Oh wait, how silly of me. 99% of what's posted here in plain English is ignored anyway, nobody'll notice the difference if all non-English posts get no response.
    LilyflowerJettLuvsU
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

As for the forums, will there be VFMs and Nexon staff who can understand what they say?
    I can help with French for sure.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Aggraphine

They'll have a hard time playing MapleStory, then, since GMS' sole language is English.

Oh wait, how silly of me. 99% of what's posted here in plain English is ignored anyway, nobody'll notice the difference if all non-English posts get no response.
    in the end EMS's sole language was English too, as they couldn't handle keeping up and checking the translations that were essentially player made, so in the end they removed the multi language support for english only, iirc this happened last year or something.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    *waits* if this doesn't get fixed soon the forums will be full of non English speaker!. Not trying to sound rude.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Reactions: 2,750
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Oh great, not again!
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Looks like whatever spamblocks were placed on the forums have expired.
    Or just randomly came undone like so many of Nexon's in-game patches.
    Or maybe someone good-meaning but clueless intentionally disabled them in order to be more welcoming to the expected influx of European players. And American. I just got email from Nexon yesterday, promoting the new forums.
    JettLuvsULilyflower
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Figuring that the new forums don't have the Moderator Contact private forum, I went to the Customer Support page and submitted a Report about the new Forum Spam.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    OdysseyTwo

Figuring that the new forums don't have the Moderator Contact private forum, I went to the Customer Support page and submitted a Report about the new Forum Spam.
    I seriously doubt anyone is looking at the customer support reports at 2am pst.
    We just have to wait until one of our VFM's pops in.
    Lilyflower
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Or maybe someone good-meaning but clueless intentionally disabled them in order to be more welcoming to the expected influx of European players. And American. I just got email from Nexon yesterday, promoting the new forums.
    Are you saying the Migration may have temporarily disabled the Forum's "Firewall"?

Also, I sent a PM to all the Forum Admins and VFMs I know.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    OdysseyTwo

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Are you saying the Migration may have temporarily disabled the Forum's "Firewall"?

Also, I sent a PM to all the Forum Admins and VFMs I know.
    They have to log into the forums to see their PM's...

As for the "firewall" (the requirement of every new user to be approved), I'm just speculating on what could cause it to disappear.
    Lilyflower
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2016
    Well, looks like they cleaned it up again. That was faster than I expected.
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Not sure how it happened, but it's gone. I'll keep an eye out.
    Its2Sharp4UPerceptivityJettLuvsUInvulgoHopefulDream
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited November 2016
    I saw the spam bots this morning. What happened with the 24 hour account verification?
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Wow the spam bots are back...

*edit nvm, messaged them on twitter and they fixed it.