[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Forum] Custom avatars - when?

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited October 2016 in General Chat
How time flies. The new forums are a month old already.

Lots of users, old and new. 807 of them have posted in the forums, as of this writing.
52 avatars.
Lots of duplicates.
Makes it hard to keep track of who said what.

So... any estimate of when we'll get custom avatars?
InvulgoIts2Sharp4UUzumeふかせNiightseekerSilverswornKeyan the EvanMaryseLilyflowerSkyTheDestroyerand 15 others.

Comments

• YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited October 2016

hopefully soon am soo bored dont wanna work and post my old stuff yet my bad am soo lazy
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    We definitely need custom avatars as more and more people keep joining the forums. It's been a while since we got any update about it.

Also, it feels like a lot less than 52 avatars since some of them are barely being used (e.g. Balrog, Zakum).
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016
    ふかせ
    ふかせ said:

Also, it feels like a lot less than 52 avatars since some of them are barely being used (e.g. Balrog, Zakum).
    Because they're ugly.
    The no custom avatars thing is especially bad since when someone likes a post it only shows their avatar, so sometimes I think I've liked a post that I really didn't like.
    NiightseekerSherri
  • SilverswornSilversworn
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited October 2016
    ふかせ
    ふかせ said:

We definitely need custom avatars as more and more people keep joining the forums. It's been a while since we got any update about it.

Heh, I've only seen two other people with a male Blaster avatar on these forums.

On-topic: Please let it be soon.

• MakoSharkMakoShark
    Reactions: 300
    edited October 2016
    Nexon : custom avatars soon
    Reality: on the 4th of never.
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited October 2016
    please nexon i wantz my custom avat plox zoz soon~ish?~♪♫

NyaraSherriTraveler5577
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

omg the chibi part^

• gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    It would be just as easy to give people the option to have no avatar. I mean it was easy enough in the old forums to tell people apart who didn't have any avatars.

Or bring back custom titles for us that display right beneath the name and above the avatar picture.
    LilyflowerRoseDrop
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

It would be just as easy to give people the option to have no avatar. I mean it was easy enough in the old forums to tell people apart who didn't have any avatars.

Or bring back custom titles for us that display right beneath the name and above the avatar picture.
    I want my Title back...Q_Q...and avatar
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    We need custom avatars or at least some easy way to differentiate users even more once the merge happens.
  • ValryiaValryia
    Reactions: 990
    edited November 2016
    I would like to change my avatar, too.
    But i guess i have to be edgy with lotus until i can go full touhou with rinnosuke.
    NyaraSherri
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    With the influx of Europeans (hi Europeans!) we now have 1170 different posters, and still only 52 avatars...
    LilyflowerUzumeInvulgoNyaraSherri
  • 1BananaFox1BananaFox
    Reactions: 200
    edited November 2016
    @ふかせ I highly agree, Avatars are as personal as the people using them :3
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2016
    I agree because avatars are fun we need more avatars!.
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

I'm sorry, that looks like Shade tearing up because he is dressed as Chase, even though I think I know the context behind that anime...
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    I like Naracane and all but custom avatars would be cool but I can imagine a lot of people using Sans or a GM Hat or something unrelated to originality will be used if Avatars would be available. I say Nexon should implement all the assets that are currently available in Maple Story to the Avatar section. Like more monsters, bosses, characters, npcs, etc. (=
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Glirotus
    Glirotus said:

I like Naracane and all but custom avatars would be cool but I can imagine a lot of people using Sans or a GM Hat or something unrelated to originality will be used if Avatars would be available. I say Nexon should implement all the assets that are currently available in Maple Story to the Avatar section. Like more monsters, bosses, characters, npcs, etc. (=
    I invite you to look at the old forums and see the wide array of avatars people used.

Yes, some are more original than others. So?
    Yes, the vast majority have nothing to do with Maplestory. So?

For one thing, the avatar says something about the poster. When people have freedom to choose anything to represent themselves, and they choose a specific picture, it gives you a clue into their personality. Some people choose to have no avatar at all, and that also means something.

But more importantly, at least to me, is that it makes it easier to identify, while reading a post, who wrote it. When reading a thread, my eyes are focused on the text area, and I only see the "identification" on the left from the corner of my eye. If everyone has a unique picture, that is enough for me to recognize at least the regular posters. Now I often find myself reading a post and thinking to myself "I didn't think X would say something like this" and then checking again and seeing that it wasn't X at all, but someone else with the same avatar. It's even worse with the "Likes" because you have to actually hover your cursor over the avatar to see who the person is who liked that post.
    Uzume
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Lots of users, old and new. 807 of them have posted in the forums, as of this writing.
    52 avatars.
    Lots of duplicates.

Now the forums are two months old.
    We've grown to 1783 posters.
    Still 52 avatars.
    See you next month.
  • ASoggyRatASoggyRat
    Reactions: 740
    edited November 2016
    I wanna use a picture of my horned mushroom plushie as my avatar, so I definitely want this. Though orange mushies and mushmoms are adorable, so is a maple plushie. :3
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »

52 avatars.
    Lots of duplicates.

Now the forums are two months old.
    We've grown to 1783 posters.
    Still 52 avatars.
    See you next month.

So we had that mess with the hackers and the change from HTML to bbcode, so I didn't bump this in December, or January, or even February.

Now, we have 4432 people who have posted on the forums.
    243 who posted 25 times.
    And 61 people who have made over 100 posts each. Surely at least each of these active posters deserves a distinct avatar?
    Apparently not. Still only the same 52 to choose from.

Are we ever going to get custom avatars?