[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Would you be okay if Nexon decided for one month.

VinsaneVinsane
Reactions: 2,210
edited November 2016 in General Chat
They've decided with the consent of the players to take down maplestory for one month to devote that time into solely fixing the issues that relates to coding, servers, content, technology upgrades for a better stability of maples health and future.

I'd say yes personally.
  1. If you agreed to sacrifice one month of no maplestory so nexon can fix the issues for maplestory.40 votes
    1. Yes
       75% (30 votes)
    2. No
       25% (10 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    They don't need to take it down for that.
    Coding is done on development servers, that are separate from game servers.
    Hardware upgrades might take a day here and there (they do that every once in a while anyway).

Your question should be: would you be OK with six months of no new content, so they can devote the time to fixing issues.
    genji123LilyflowerValryiaJettLuvsUgorateronVinsane
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Coding is done on development servers, that are separate from game servers..
    This. They probably have a different test client and it would be strange if they didn't.

Also Nexon NA would never do this. They have always waited on KMS to do their optimization patches. Mapleru has so much spaghetti code it would probably be a very daunting task.
  • PrizkillaPrizkilla
    Reactions: 555
    edited November 2016
    I would like to see them fixing crashing. It's annoying at this point.
    - Pet loot lag
    - When you are changing channels you always have to press twice.
    - These ??????? Quest completed and notice in quests
    - Windows mode fullscreen & higher resolution (its 2016)
    - Fix bugs, like enchanting & cubing costs twice as much.

Edit: Open Maplestory for steam users from Europe.
    Edit 2: I would also like to see nexon removing meso gear. Making mesos shouldn't be making a Kanna with meso gear. It should be from bosses and high level mobs instead of forcing people to cube meso gear & make a kanna.
    TemptationFuwaFuwaMech
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited November 2016
    Prizkilla
    Prizkilla said:

- These ??????? Quest completed and notice in quests.
    The ???????? quest bubbles are from when you complete one of the rice cakes for the Moon Bunny.

As for me, I wouldn't mind if there were no updates for a year if they fixed everything in the game.
  • PrizkillaPrizkilla
    Reactions: 555
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

Prizkilla
    Prizkilla said:

The ???????? quest bubbles are from when you complete one of the rice cakes for the Moon Bunny.

As for me, I wouldn't mind if there were no updates for a year if they fixed everything in the game.
    I know. But it still looks unprofessional when it's not being worked upon.
    What annoys me the most is that everytime nexon adds something new, more bugs arrive. It's getting worse and worse every month.

• PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    Prizkilla
    Prizkilla said:

PhoenixKumo

Prizkilla
    Prizkilla said:

I know. But it still looks unprofessional when it's not being worked upon.
    What annoys me the most is that everytime nexon adds something new, more bugs arrive. It's getting worse and worse every month.

That's true. It seems Nexon policy is to fix what isn't broken until it is broken. Meanwhile, they're constantly trying to up their game about twice a year (summer and winter) in order to top or match previous big updates. They're adding more content and trying to get it out the door as fast as possible without scrutinizing it carefully or fixing old bugs so everything just piles on top of each other. It creates more work for them until there's so much of the little things that they can't attend to it all except slap a slipshod bandaid on top of it (when they bother to do anything at all) and hope it doesn't burst again.
    Lilyflower
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Hardware upgrades might take a day here and there (they do that every once in a while anyway).

Your question should be: would you be OK with six months of no new content, so they can devote the time to fixing issues.
    I read the question more along the lines of would you be willing to trade 1 month of playing MS for them to fix their codebase? Its almost exactly the same, but it could mean either going without new content or having the game taken down entirely for the time period if it helped them (not sure how it would, but wouldn't be surprised if it did considering the mess that their codebase is).

Personally, I have to say yes. GMS especially needs to be almost rewritten from scratch, and future KMS updates need to be rewritten to fit our codebase, as opposed to just writing in more spaghetti code on top to check for special cases due to our non KMS content and allow/disallow for that.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2016
    :T Just my warning...last time a petition liek this came up...people got forum warnings/temp bans...although I would love to see MS get fixed.
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited November 2016
    Also you've got to remember, any bug fixes could make even more bugs and testing doesn't just happen overnight.
    I think what would be best is fix any important bugs with maintenance and when the next update comes along try and get most (if not all) the less important stuff fixed.
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Honestly? No.

If maple isn't updated for a long period of time, people will just plain drop the game. Then when everything is fixed and maple surpasses even the best games ever, nobody will be around to play the game because everyone thinks the game died.

I mean, I want the stuff fixed to, but not at the cost of any reason to keep coming back, which already the game severely lacks.
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    Petalmagic

:T Just my warning...last time a petition liek this came up...people got forum warnings/temp bans...although I would love to see MS get fixed.
    This isn't a petition, just a proposed hypothetical. If Maple banned people for discussing a hypothetical situation, there'd be mutiny.
    Xenomata
    Xenomata said:

Honestly? No.

If maple isn't updated for a long period of time, people will just plain drop the game. Then when everything is fixed and maple surpasses even the best games ever, nobody will be around to play the game because everyone thinks the game died.

I mean, I want the stuff fixed to, but not at the cost of any reason to keep coming back, which already the game severely lacks.
    At the same time, the game is straggling along, wheezing. It can't remain as it is. Maybe it doesn't have to be a year, six months, or even three, but a month sounds reasonable. It could be during one of those "slow" months with no holidays or anything really going on at the beginning of the year like on March or April.
    JettLuvsU
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

At the same time, the game is straggling along, wheezing. It can't remain as it is. Maybe it doesn't have to be a year, six months, or even three, but a month sounds reasonable. It could be during one of those "slow" months with no holidays or anything really going on at the beginning of the year like on March or April.
    That would be fine enough, but I'm more than certain that half the maple population is just waiting for the right excuse to jump ship for literally anything else.
    JettLuvsU
  • PsychpillowPsychpillow
    Reactions: 400
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

People have been saying how Maplestory is a dying game all the way back in 2012. I consequently don't put much thought on this general line of argumentation as to how Maplestory is 'straggling along'.

The issues that the OP mentioned seemed like quality of life issues regarding the game. It seems to me that, should such a proposal be discussed properly, one would need to analyse the incentives for general player to play Maplestory, and whether they are more appealed to through content updates or these quality of life changes. I would imagine for the majority of Maplestory players, they are mostly content with how the game runs and just see most of these issues as slight annoyances (the fact that Dual Blade mastery books don't work for me is a slight annoyance, but I still have my Evan).

I would further suggest that taking down the game for a month is not at all advisable. Some people just play Maplestory out of habit. If you forcibly break that habit for a month, it would then take some amount of effort to even return to the game. Moreover, if they've found a new habit in that space of time, you've just lost that player.

You would need the game to be literally unplayable for a month take down of the server to be warranted.

• PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    Psychpillow

PhoenixKumo

People have been saying how Maplestory is a dying game all the way back in 2012. I consequently don't put much thought on this general line of argumentation as to how Maplestory is 'straggling along'.

The issues that the OP mentioned seemed like quality of life issues regarding the game. It seems to me that, should such a proposal be discussed properly, one would need to analyse the incentives for general player to play Maplestory, and whether they are more appealed to through content updates or these quality of life changes. I would imagine for the majority of Maplestory players, they are mostly content with how the game runs and just see most of these issues as slight annoyances (the fact that Dual Blade mastery books don't work for me is a slight annoyance, but I still have my Evan).

I would further suggest that taking down the game for a month is not at all advisable. Some people just play Maplestory out of habit. If you forcibly break that habit for a month, it would then take some amount of effort to even return to the game. Moreover, if they've found a new habit in that space of time, you've just lost that player.

You would need the game to be literally unplayable for a month take down of the server to be warranted.

What I meant by "straggling along" is not that the game's dying, but that there are a lot of problems cropping up that are boggling the game down, like how the Event Hall is now pretty much inaccessible to a lot of people because of how badly it lags there now and the only response Nexon has made so far to this complaint was to remove one NPC that had no affect whatsoever on the issue. Even before this, there were people who lagged in the Event Hall, it's just that now, everything's brought to a head. Nexon didn't do anything to fix the issue and now it's worse than before. Just look at the Bug Reporting page. Some of these problems are a hindrance to overall gameplay experience rather than a small issue and what you find might be minor could be another straw to feed whatever frustrations another person already had for the game.

Akradian said this and I'll quote him here:
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Maplestory itself isn't going to shut down, just that there'll be no new updates, so whatever habit people have in relation to the game, they can keep it.
  • KingStarfireKingStarfire
    Reactions: 1,785
    edited November 2016
    I wouldn't mind no new updates to for them to build the game from scratch then have us be switched over the "new server" when it is done, but how would such a thing effect the characters because would they also have to rewrite the play databases to fit the new server?
  • VinsaneVinsane
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited November 2016
    I wasn't aware that nexons coders actually implemented two separate servers.
    For that reason I've should've worded differently saying
    "No new content or additions to be made for one month"
    i apologize.

I felt like the game was predicted to begin die out at 2012 the moment pre-big bang arrived.
    But hey, we could be wrong with our predictions.

A game does indeed die out when either the trend dies out or the game doesn't adapt or stay up to date with other games released..

From what I'm reading through the post made we all seem to have a mutual agreement or understanding the content we're being provided isn't the issue its the playability of maple.

Some don't like it because of habits but that's fine its your reason in the end.

Also this is a hypothetical questions to everyone playing maplestory, So no judgement should be felt to shroud your own honest answer.
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, each world has 2 servers. There is the game sever itself that is made up of the content in the game, as in maps, classes/jobs, items, NPC, monsters, stuff like that. These are what are down in most maintenances. Then there are the player databases, which handles who is where, what items are were and the economy. the only time the player databases go down is when would transfers happen (this is why they don't do that often) or when there is a rollback.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited November 2016
    would be gr8 if TESPIA was still around for players to test the update a few weeks early before it hits the real servers.
    JettLuvsU
    edited November 2016
    AznboiE
    AznboiE said:

would be gr8 if TESPIA was still around for players to test the update a few weeks early before it hits the real servers.
    I would love to be a part of that. Also, Tespia may or may not be online at random times same with star planet is even though no one can access it, but idk, this site confuses me.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

AznboiE
    AznboiE said:

I would love to be a part of that. Also, Tespia may or may not be online at random times same with star planet is even though no one can access it, but idk, this site confuses me.
    The site is probably not up-to-date.
    What it does is ping certain IP addresses which it "knows" belong to X channel of Y server. However, Nexon reshuffles their servers every once in a while, or reassigns them to other tasks. So if the same address is now used for something else, possibly not even Maple-related, the site would still show "Star Planet" as online.

As for Tespia, previous rounds failed because:
    1. Nexon doesn't know how to select testers. The people who got into Tespia were random. Some just wanted to mess around with the instant leveling and free gear, some were looking for exploits (but not in order to tell Nexon about them), and only a few did useful testing.
    2. Nexon couldn't handle the bug reports they got. Many were unintelligible ("It's broken!") or not reports at all ("I wanna be a GM"). A great many were duplicates (hundreds of people reporting the same typo). And even the real bugs that were reported did not get fixed, either on Tespia itself (so if a bug prevented progress in content, nobody could see any bugs hiding later in the questline) or even when the patch eventually went live.
    3. Many bugs could never be found in Tespia anyway, because they involve interaction of new content with old items, quests, or skills that are not available there. Things that work in a clean world on clean new characters, can fail badly in the real server with real characters.

If they don't come up with a better way to select testers and handle their reports, there's no point reopening Tespia.
    JettLuvsUIts2Sharp4UVinsane