[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Different maintenance times for NA and EU servers

ShakaAlekShakaAlek
Reactions: 970
edited November 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So, for UTC +1, which accounts for a very big chunk of european players I think, today's maintenance time means having the server down from 4 PM to 9 PM, that's most of the afternoon gone, definitely out of school time for most students; this leaves us time to play only after dinner, assuming everything goes smoothly and there's no need to prolong the downtime. For big patches it could still be ok (except those are the ones that often get extended), but for the weekly ones it feels kinda bad, like Europeans are second class players whose times never get considered (see blade&soul...).
July

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    I don't think they can do the maintenances separately. The whole idea behind unifying the service is that all servers are maintained from one central location, all have software updates pushed to them simultaneously, and all have their data synchronized at once.

So then it comes down to what time is least busy across all servers put together.
  • ShakaAlekShakaAlek
    edited November 2016
    Meaning it's a big f*ck you to an entire continent of players. I guess I'll put up with it as long as the rest actually gets better, in terms of bug solving, server stability etc... If not, well, it could be time to leave the game, I can live without it, take my money elsewhere.

They could adjust the time though. Like, I don't think at 3-4 am pacific they'll have too many players up and doing stuff, starting maintenance at that time would mean morning in eu, which would still be a good time to have the server down. In fact maintenances in Europe where often started late night or early morning.
    Aramy
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    It was already inconvenient to a whole continent of players (Australia).

Remember that Nexon wants the game to be up and have maximum logged in players all the time. That's why they keep having content like "hold this for half an hour" and "charge your pendant of the spirit for two hours" and so on. So when they take the servers down, they try to do it at a time when they lose the least amount of player-hours.
    But also, they have their own people (both in LA and in Seoul, at times) who need to be awake to do the work.
    It's a balancing act.

I assume that as time goes by and they collect more usage statistics, they'll figure out the best time of day to do this. But since we literally have players in every single timezone on the planet, somebody is always going to get the short end of the stick.
  • ShakaAlekShakaAlek
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, there are players everywhere, that's also why all these mmo games have different servers for different regions.
  • KnightzhellKnightzhell
    Reactions: 410
    edited November 2016
    ShakaAlek
    ShakaAlek said:

Yeah, there are players everywhere, that's also why all these mmo games have different servers for different regions.
    Well you guys had your own server, now you don't. Get use to it, we didn't ask to have europeans migrated to our version.
  • KingStarfireKingStarfire
    Reactions: 1,785
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

I don't think they can do the maintenances separately. The whole idea behind unifying the service is that all servers are maintained from one central location, all have software updates pushed to them simultaneously, and all have their data synchronized at once.

So then it comes down to what time is least busy across all servers put together.
    Actually, I think they can take any one of the worlds down individually, though I don't think they ever would.
    ShakaAlek
  • KnightzhellKnightzhell
    Reactions: 410
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Actually, I think they can take any one of the worlds down individually, though I don't think they ever would.
    It would require more effort on their part by splitting maint times and server downs, as opposed to just a maint on all worlds simultaneously.

• KingStarfireKingStarfire
    Reactions: 1,785
    edited November 2016
    Knightzhell

KingStarfire

AKradian
    AKradian said:

It would require more effort on their part by splitting maint times and server downs, as opposed to just a maint on all worlds simultaneously.

yeah, that would be why they would do such a thing
  • FeverJawsFeverJaws
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    and when all of u kittens realize that Gms and Ems was once the same before split... the game was born in USA for eu people. and sadly split into a storm of crap from Nexon Eu. i am so happy to be back in the right place and i dont really give a dam about Times. so wont if we in Eu miss half of the day? i rather miss half of the day under a superior nexon over a lower nexon eu.

and also it would simply be to much work to have 2 different times since 95% of eu people play on reboot cause Luna is a deadzone
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    KingStarfire

AKradian
    AKradian said:

while they can do that, you have to remember both servers are using the same game files (both on server and on your computer) so when it comes to updates they have to do both EU and NA at once or else one server will be either behind in content or inaccessible due to not being updated to work with the new game files..etc.

I mean, a simple server check, sure that might be easily done if they put in a little more effort but they wont be able to do that for most other things.
    ShakaAlek
  • ShakaAlekShakaAlek
    edited November 2016
    FeverJaws
    FeverJaws said:

and when all of u kittens realize that Gms and Ems was once the same before split... the game was born in USA for eu people. and sadly split into a storm of crap from Nexon Eu. i am so happy to be back in the right place and i dont really give a dam about Times. so wont if we in Eu miss half of the day? i rather miss half of the day under a superior nexon over a lower nexon eu.

and also it would simply be to much work to have 2 different times since 95% of eu people play on reboot cause Luna is a deadzone
    I first started playing when gms was still accessible from Europe, so I know that well, and I also said, in case you missed it, that as long as we actually get a better service elsewhere, I'm fine dealing with the bad maintenance times. So if this nexon actually shows to be superior to nexon eu, fine. Right now I'm dc'ing more than I was before, so the start isn't so good... We'll see how it goes with this patch.