[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Can't use capital letters in player names.

ItsonlyScottyItsonlyScotty
Reactions: 820
edited November 2016 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: In-game character creation

Brief bug summary: Capital letters in character names return an error.

More details: This has occurred on multiple accounts, with multiple different attempted in game names and on different class choices.
Merely removing the capital letter and replacing it with a lower-case letter will resolve the issue. This is not preferable however.
None of the aforementioned names were curse words, nor taken by other players.

Friends have experienced the same issue.

Steps to reproduce: Create new character, pick your look, etc etc. After typing in your desired in game name, the game requests your preferred control layout,
and then returns an error message stating that the name cannot be used.

World name: Luna

Date and time of the incident: Since Europe merge until -ongoing-.
Koffie

Comments

• MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    I do not believe this has to do with capital letters in the names. Could you PM me the names you have attempted?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    MegaScience

I do not believe this has to do with capital letters in the names. Could you PM me the names you have attempted?
    The problem is definitely not the capital letters. I created characters today with capital letters in their names with no problem.

The issue might be that the name censor balks at some bad words only if they are capitalized. That is, "Bad" is not allowed, but "bad" is ok. This might have been done as a lazy way to avoid blocking what looks like a bad word but is in the middle of a legitimate word (e.g. Document).
  • AlexisShionAlexisShion
    Reactions: 905
    edited November 2016
    I saved some names on the new Luna server, and this happened alot. Some couldnt be created with capital letter in the beginning, but if you used lowercase it would work,

For example I got shion, but couldnt create Shion
  • HolHol
    Reactions: 930
    edited November 2016
    I am having the same issue. I couldn't create a character called Hollie but could create one called hollie. Do I wait until this issue is fixed until I can create a character with a capital letter or do I play the uncapitalised hollie and hope that a GM will change it to Hollie if I submit a ticket...
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Please refrain from taking/using character names only available through capitalization changes, as I cannot guarantee their availability. I will forward this.
  • ItsonlyScottyItsonlyScotty
    edited November 2016
    MegaScience

Please refrain from taking/using character names only available through capitalization changes, as I cannot guarantee their availability. I will forward this.
    Any news on this? Still haven't been able to explore the new class changes.
  • HolHol
    edited November 2016
    I sent a ticket and the GM told me it must be an issue my end! Not very helpful.

FYI, this isn't happening with every name I try but it happens in the majority of cases.
  • AsuzahAsuzah
    Reactions: 400
    edited November 2016
    Hol
    Hol said:

I sent a ticket and the GM told me it must be an issue my end! Not very helpful.

FYI, this isn't happening with every name I try but it happens in the majority of cases.
    Lol.. waw... Then what about all the other people that have this issue, it's all on their end aswell? :P Lol Nexon >.<
  • ItsonlyScottyItsonlyScotty
    edited November 2016
    Welp. Unfortunately the lengthy maintenance didn't resolve this issue.

I also deleted an old character recently and desired to use the same name for a new character. That one didn't work either...
  • SelinaSelina
    edited November 2016
    This definitely isn't an issue on our side. I've had to take names with a lowercase first letter since I can't take it with an uppercase. After the maintenance I wanted to see if it worked, so I deleted a name, and tried taking it again, but it wouldn't even let me reclaim the name uppercase and lowercase. Hopefully, I can send in a support ticket to get my character name from "selina" changed to "Selina". I really don't think spending 10K NX on a name change is worth it, if this isn't a problem on my side at all.

Edit: OK, so I just got a response from support, who denied my request to have the name "selina" tweaked and I will need to wait for the next name change event and pay $ for an error on their side.
  • HolHol
    edited November 2016
    Selina
    Selina said:

This definitely isn't an issue on our side. I've had to take names with a lowercase first letter since I can't take it with an uppercase. After the maintenance I wanted to see if it worked, so I deleted a name, and tried taking it again, but it wouldn't even let me reclaim the name uppercase and lowercase. Hopefully, I can send in a support ticket to get my character name from "selina" changed to "Selina". I really don't think spending 10K NX on a name change is worth it, if this isn't a problem on my side at all.

Edit: OK, so I just got a response from support, who denied my request to have the name "selina" tweaked and I will need to wait for the next name change event and pay $ for an error on their side.
    Ahh a GM denied my request too to have the name "hollie" changed to "Hollie", because the name wasn't offensive. :/ I don't think they're going to sort this issue out anytime soon.. they're not even acknowledging it as a problem.
    Koffie
  • SelinaSelina
    edited November 2016
    Hol
    Hol said:

Ahh a GM denied my request too to have the name "hollie" changed to "Hollie", because the name wasn't offensive. :/ I don't think they're going to sort this issue out anytime soon.. they're not even acknowledging it as a problem.
    I'm happy that I can have my name for a character, it does bug me that it's all in lowercase, but I'll survive. I'm upset that I will need to wait and pay 10K NX just to change that one little detail that isn't even my fault. Quite disappointing..
  • KoffieKoffie
    edited November 2016
    I have similar issues, I managed to get around it for one name (with an ó in it) by spamming OK a few times. I didn't get this to work though for names I wanted to start with a capital letter.image Hope they fix this soon.
  • FirefIyFirefIy
    Reactions: 200
    edited November 2016
    I've been getting the same problem. I doubt the problem is related to the capitilazation, though it's possible that the names we're trying to use have already been taken by accounts that have not yet migrated to global. If that's the case, the error we're receiving just means the same as 'Tough luck, this name's already in use!'
  • HolHol
    edited November 2016
    FirefIy
    FirefIy said:

I've been getting the same problem. I doubt the problem is related to the capitilazation, though it's possible that the names we're trying to use have already been taken by accounts that have not yet migrated to global. If that's the case, the error we're receiving just means the same as 'Tough luck, this name's already in use!'
    But it lets us have the same name without the capital letter meaning the name can't have already been taken, unless they have messed up.

• HolHol
    edited November 2016
    Latest response to my ticket..

"Hello again,

We've tried making a new character on our end and we can create a character just fine with or without capital letters. You may post this on our bug report section on the forums if you insist this being an issue so our game team may investigate on this."

Thank you for being ever so helpful GM Eridel, you don't have a problem creating a character with capital letters which means that the problem doesn't exist, obviously! :l
  • KoffieKoffie
    edited November 2016
    I also created a character to test out some things as to what might be causing this and if I could maybe solve it myself and if so how. I created a character named crusher99 (Crusher99 gave an error) last week, when I created him last week I immediately tried to delete him which worked fine. Right after that I created him again, and deleted him again, and so forth a couple of times. 2 days ago on Sunday I deleted crusher99 again, right after that I wanted to create him again, but this time crusher99 also returned the same error for no apparent reason.

So 2 days ago on Sunday I though like hey, maybe when I create a new character, and I get no error at that time, then I can create and delete him as many times as I want. But what if I wait a day (or a few days like crusher99), would I get the error then again after deleting him? So 2 days ago I created crusher9, I could create and delete him that very same thing several times. Yesterday (1 day ago) on Monday I deleted him, and I could recreate him again. But I could still not create crusher99.
    I wonder if I wait maybe longer than just one day, wil Il get the same error for crusher9 then?, that's going to be my next test.