[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon Please start change the game graphic!

demonslayerx2tdemonslayerx2t
Reactions: 400
edited November 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I really think that nexon should take a big step if they want to save maplestory game in the soon future.
the game is still fun, still unique and special to many peoples. but i really can feel how every year there is less and less people around.
you can see it in the free market and u can see it in the training zones. (i really hope that some one from nexon ranks will see it and maybe will say something about it).
NEXON must do a hugh update for the game graphic. not maplestory 2 (style minecraft) more like making our 2D game to some kind of mix 2D 3D gameplay.
same 2D but with the feeling of 3D and better graphic. cuz come on!!! i can see pixels in my gameplay! its so 2003!!! and we are almost 2017 its not that hard!!!
i feel that my friends leave the game not cuz of its idea or gameplay but cuz its looking old and its boring the eye like that, what is the point of having so mane classes so many mobs boss items etc if it not pleasure the eye? thats the point of games. pleasure to the eye, see stuff that in the real world you wouldnt see.
please nexon dont let the game sink in the next years please start to update the game graphic because i am sure it will die like that ):

Comments

• demonslayerx2tdemonslayerx2t
    edited November 2016
    also you post in the game and do events of sharing the game of telling others about it. it will not help I am sorry to say it even if every person that is gamer will see this game must of them 85% i guess will ignore it. why? cuz the game look old (right we love it cuz we were here before) but we get old as well the community is i guess again old players around the age of 20+ now that still love the game but new people will not come, and this is cuz other games look better and look better and thats the only reason. please do something about it!
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

NEXON must do a hugh update for the game graphic. not maplestory 2 (style minecraft) more like making our 2D game to some kind of mix 2D 3D gameplay.
    same 2D but with the feeling of 3D and better graphic. cuz come on!!! i can see pixels in my gameplay! its so 2003!!! and we are almost 2017 its not that hard!!!
    I feel like you have no idea how game updates work, that means graphics too. You can't just "update" the graphics. It needs A LOT of planning and time to make games look good. An upgrade to a live-game requires planning too.

A lot of what you said isn't really true. Graphics are not what make a great game. It only makes it "look good", you see where I'm going with this. But Nexon is working on making the game look better. They've recently closed down areas to change it (including a bit of graphics). Recent jobs such as Kinesis and Blaster, bosses such as Urus and soon Lucid also showcase the new graphics update that the Koreans got, skeleton system. We're going to get a User interface change within the next few weeks too.

They are updating the game to make it look better with better graphics, but saying that's what makes a great game by itself isn't true at all. You can have a great looking game with everything else being garbage.
    edited November 2016
    Its2Sharp4U

demonslayerx2t

I feel like you have no idea how game updates work, that means graphics too. You can't just "update" the graphics. It needs A LOT of planning and time to make games look good. An upgrade to a live-game requires planning too.

A lot of what you said isn't really true. Graphics are not what make a great game. It only makes it "look good", you see where I'm going with this. But Nexon is working on making the game look better. They've recently closed down areas to change it (including a bit of graphics). Recent jobs such as Kinesis and Blaster, bosses such as Urus and soon Lucid also showcase the new graphics update that the Koreans got, skeleton system. We're going to get a User interface change within the next few weeks too.

They are updating the game to make it look better with better graphics, but saying that's what makes a great game by itself isn't true at all. You can have a great looking game with everything else being garbage.
    look i get what u say. but you need to understand, maplestory is 2d game since 2003 and the graphic stayed kinda the same. i am not talking about resolution i am talking about the pixel stuff. its still same as before, yes a game is not all about graphic but i would say that 50% of it is graphic and 50% is the fun. they got enough of contents in the game for years of game play. thats enough from that, this is not something that make people come back to play and also bro just look in the free market look in the training places, its rare to see people! all of them doing nothing exepet chat in henesys its like this game lost his point and just became small facebook for anime game lovers. sorry but i really think that maple dont have many years to stay alive like that. and this is why maplestory 2 is worked on cuz they know it. and maplestory 2 look s2cks but at least they get the idea of the 3d there and what it can bring to the game.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    Well, you are the kind of person that play more for the graphics than the gameplay, which always was and should be the most important in the game, the game still look better than some old ones, like Ragnarok, maybe Word of Warcraft, i mean WOW have low graphics but people still play, maple isn't that bad graphic wise for 2D, i think it can really get better with the new Skeleton system which is NEW, so they just started using and testing it.

I think the problem with new players isn't much the graphics, it's just that outside of Korea there isn't much influence, so with less players, there won't be that much comming to the game too, also people tend to quit after something is going for too long without change, look at pokemon people stopped playing and now are comming back. The pay2win made a lot of players hold back too.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    I've been playing MapleStory for about 8 years now.
    I know people who quit because of the pay-to-win.
    I know people who quit because of the interminable grind.
    I know people who quit because of horrible customer support.
    I know people who quit because of cheat-to-win.
    I know people who quit because their class got changed beyond recognition.
    I know people who quit because the game's resource requirements became too much for their computer.
    I know people who quit because they couldn't get the game to launch on their new computer.
    I know people who quit because of painful lag and disconnections.
    I know people who quit because all their friends quit.
    I know people who quit because their world got empty.

But I don't know anyone who quit because of the primitive graphics.

Maple is a 2D side-scroller with bright colorful graphics, chibi characters, and cute enemies. That's a major draw, not a flaw.
    You try to present Henehoes as proof that the graphics suck, but in fact, the many people hanging around Henesys showing off their clothes and hairstyles and faces are proof that the graphics work, they sell well.

Yes, it gets pixelated when your character or an enemy becomes "giant" or when a story cutscene is "zoomed in", and I agree that's ugly. But it would take a lot of work to change that, and all the issues I listed above are a lot more important, if the game is to flourish again.
    AramygamechangerLilyflowerPeekAtChuKlaraDeeMongenji123LotusBlackZexceedSatìre
  • ASoggyRatASoggyRat
    Reactions: 740
    edited November 2016
    Graphical updates take a ton of work, because for every little thing that gets changed, a lot of other things have to too. For example even if they just updated player or npc sprites, they then might look out of place compared to everything else around them. You also have to consider that there are probably still a lot of people that may be running Maple on older or less powerful PCs. I'm not saying that developer decisions should be made based off of these older players, but visual updates would cost quite a lot of development time, and increase the system requirements of Maple. There are already a lot of classes with skills that look great and flashy, but with these flashy skills comes some lag, or stutter. 5th job is just around the corner now, and from what we've seen of 5th job skills, they're even flashier than a lot of hyper skills, and those already cause some fps drops at times, so could you imagine how it'd be if the graphics looks even flashier?

I'm not saying I wouldn't want the game to look better, because it'd be great. But I'm sure Nexon have much more important things to focus on than making the game look better. I'm happy with Maple's current graphical style anyway, it's somewhat unique. There aren't really many other 2D MMORPGs out there with the same feel as Maple, where you can zoom around defeating dozens of mobs in seconds, throw giant fireballs around the screen, fire missiles everywhere, or even whack things with a giant pink hammer. What I'm trying to say is that Maple is already unique with it's current graphical style, and I hope it mostly stays this way,
    Satìre
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

Its2Sharp4U

demonslayerx2t

look i get what u say. but you need to understand, maplestory is 2d game since 2003 and the graphic stayed kinda the same. i am not talking about resolution i am talking about the pixel stuff. its still same as before, yes a game is not all about graphic but i would say that 50% of it is graphic and 50% is the fun. they got enough of contents in the game for years of game play. thats enough from that, this is not something that make people come back to play and also bro just look in the free market look in the training places, its rare to see people! all of them doing nothing exepet chat in henesys its like this game lost his point and just became small facebook for anime game lovers. sorry but i really think that maple dont have many years to stay alive like that. and this is why maplestory 2 is worked on cuz they know it. and maplestory 2 look s2cks but at least they get the idea of the 3d there and what it can bring to the game.
    Maplestory's graphics are one of its strongest selling points though. They are unique, bright and fun. They aren't pixelated, they are pixel graphics, there is a difference. They are intended so that you can see the pixels in the objects. They don't need updating imo, but even so Nexon is slowly updating map and background graphics in the game and they look better than ever.

Only thing I would like to see changed on graphics is when your character gets blown up by 2x during those new dialogue boxes. That should have a higher resolution, but it would be so much work to increase the resolution on every possible equip in the game that its not worth it.
    Lilyflower
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2016
    2d skeleton animation is cool and worth it.
    BIackbean
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    i like 2d animation. ezy on eyes
    Lilyflower
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2016
    you know when in games there are dust clouds whenever you walk/run or land from a jump or height. It would be fun to implement that into the game.

I was also thinking if it would be possible if wind or fast movement make our clothes flap, especially our capes and hats. Standing idle would look so badass with the wind whipping you.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

Its2Sharp4U

demonslayerx2t

the "pixel stuff" is a style of art called Pixel art/ dot art, it's still an art style used in fun games made in 2016. The pixel art and the 2d style is what draws alot of people to maplestory to begin with. also that "50% graphic 50% fun" thing is complete BS considering thousands of people go back and play old NES/ SNES and PSX games and have tons of fun (which is why you can find an emulator for any of those old systems on pretty much everything) also if it was all about "Dem sic grapx brah" in gaming, after a game like watchdogs got super hyped most people were disappointed with it even on PC or letes talk about the recent overly hyped game No Mans Lie's, a game that got most of it's hype from how it looked and some promises of certain features from the devs that were eventually broken. people should still like it cause it's got "Dem sweet grapx bro" by your statement, but people don't like it cause the game-play gets stale after about 4~5 hours and on top of that the dev's lied about what features the game would have.

you say "people want better graphix" but every game in the past year or 2 that I have seen get hyped purely on graphics comes out as being a pretty terrible game/ not well liked or enjoyed game; however. most people can still load up an emulator and play old megaman games, old Doom games..etc and have fun despite them being old... Gee I wonder WHY.
    edited November 2016
    you really dont understand my point. i didnt say lose the 2d or the art of the animated cute charcters. i was thinking about more of a mix 2.5d. and catooolooo there is no reason to get mad bro. i dont get the point when people get mad on other people ideas its so stupid, if u dont like my post dont reply then no one force u.
    and look in twitch for that point. pixel games are usually not in the top play games there and there is reason why nexon try so hard atm to advertise the game. you can see and feel it. less people around every year. i love the game i played it since it was out but i can feel how more people leave every time.
    my point is to think of idea to make more people play it. and if i will show u a trailer for maple or lets say for the point a game like OverWatch people will 99% that dont know maple or OW will go to the OW.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

you really dont understand my point. i didnt say lose the 2d or the art of the animated cute charcters. i was thinking about more of a mix 2.5d. and catooolooo there is no reason to get mad bro. i dont get the point when people get mad on other people ideas its so stupid, if u dont like my post dont reply then no one force u.
    and look in twitch for that point. pixel games are usually not in the top play games there and there is reason why nexon try so hard atm to advertise the game. you can see and feel it. less people around every year. i love the game i played it since it was out but i can feel how more people leave every time.
    my point is to think of idea to make more people play it. and if i will show u a trailer for maple or lets say for the point a game like OverWatch people will 99% that dont know maple or OW will go to the OW.
    OverWatch and maple are 2 completely different types of games.

First of all OverWatch is a Competitive game, Competitive games have a much bigger following than PvE games in general due to MLG (Major league gaming).
    if you want to go by Twitch, you will notice 80% of the games that have the most viewership on twitch are Competitive, Player V Player games, 10% are newer titles that people want to know about and the other 10% are various other things that may not be completely gaming related.

Their attraction is not the Graphical aspect, it's the competitiveness and the following competitive games have.
    It's the reason why games like Bioshock or Assassins creed try hard to shoehorn in some type of online competitive mode in the game.

on another note, the 2D, pixel art style of Maple is an intentional artistic direction that will not change, you want something that's 3D or 2.5D they can play maplestory 2. Not getting mad, just pointing out your flaw in thoughts.

I understood your "point" 100% you just fail to understand why it's a terrible idea.
    edited November 2016
    omg bro you really try to ignore stuff. its not have to be overwatch you dont need to try to prove you smart or something.
    try to understand my point and not get into stuff. overwatch was a smaple of a game i wasnt comparing between him to maplestory and you can see that when i said so!
    also for the competitive of the point maple lost his competitive when fang went to lvl 200 first and someone else to 250 after him. its like only 1 person get to be in the top its having no challenge at all.
    maple will fade if nothing big will happen, usually it happen when a game like maplestory 2 will arrive and they will delete the maplestory 1 game for it and then people will quite for losing there players. its happen alot, games like gunz to gunz 2 and Lunia from one company to other and more games like those.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    Are you sure about removing MapleStory 1?, look at 5job, why bring it if MapleStory 2 is soooo successful in Korea, right?
    Well, it was more potentials that made the gap unfair for players, yet they are trying to slow this gap a bit, seeying how Arcane Symbols don't get affected with % stat...
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

omg bro you really try to ignore stuff. its not have to be overwatch you dont need to try to prove you smart or something.
    try to understand my point and not get into stuff. overwatch was a smaple of a game i wasnt comparing between him to maplestory and you can see that when i said so!
    also for the competitive of the point maple lost his competitive when fang went to lvl 200 first and someone else to 250 after him. its like only 1 person get to be in the top its having no challenge at all.
    maple will fade if nothing big will happen, usually it happen when a game like maplestory 2 will arrive and they will delete the maplestory 1 game for it and then people will quite for losing there players. its happen alot, games like gunz to gunz 2 and Lunia from one company to other and more games like those.
    When has this game ever been marketed as having a competitive side? There was pvp at one point, but it was short-lived purely because of balance issues. And pvp really has no place in a game that is predominately pve.

And how do you figure maple will fade if it doesn't get it's "game graphic" changed? How is it that the game that has been advertised as a 2D side-scrolling pixel-graphics game for the past 13 years going to fade if they don't suddenly "change the game graphic"?

You obviously don't know how much work that would entail. That would require going over every single item, every single sprite(character and NPC), every single map entity(the houses and benches and map foreground come to mind), not to mention every single piece of equipment as seen while equipped.

They could just as easily rewrite the game's core and vastly improve the game's performance in the time it would take to, after almost a decade-and-a-half, drastically change the art design. It'd be like saying "Minecraft should move away from this stupid blocky look".
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    demonslayerx2t

You are right that there is a problem, but you are wrong about the cause of the problem.
    You are right that maplestory is losing players, but it's not because of the graphics.

Yes, people like competitive games now, and Maple is not competitive. So maybe the way to win back players would be to add PvP to Maple?

MegaScience
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

demonslayerx2t

You are right that there is a problem, but you are wrong about the cause of the problem.
    You are right that maplestory is losing players, but it's not because of the graphics.

Yes, people like competitive games now, and Maple is not competitive. So maybe the way to win back players would be to add PvP to Maple?

If it's less of a god-awful mess than the previous iteration, then sure. If it's basically "hey guys look what's coming back exactly as it left!" then no thank.

And let's avoid citing the Boss Arena as an example, because in most, if not all instances, that was horribly skewed in the favor of whoever was controlling the boss.
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    MapleStory's 2D aspect is what makes it unique. Nowadays, all you see is the same 2.5D games with slightly different graphics, and they get a little notice before fading out of the minds of all but the most dedicated of them. That also forgoes the fact that MapleStory is a 2D MMO, something at least fairly uncommon in the west, and therefore creating its own draw.

MapleStory being 2D does have advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage is it is difficult to introduce new player poses as each possible equip would need a new sprite designed for the pose. However, an advantage is that each effect can be hand-designed to be both unique and memorable. Normal 3D games build their effects via different combinations of visual aids their engines allow, which ends up just being variations of colors and shape that can't stand out the same as a personally designed effect. For instance, Jett's 5th Job skill looks beautiful to me, and I hope more changes were made to finally encourage players to work on Jetts.

You should also consider that changing a game to 3D isn't as simple as other games make it seem. I could take example of Prison Architect, where they hid in a method to change the game from 2D to 3D. However, this was only possible after major reworking of their engine, as well as manual recreation of all visible objects for compatibility. MapleStory has a vastly larger amount of content which would be an extraordinary undertaking to go over and change layering, perspective, and likewise to function as you wish. Not to mention the engine likely couldn't support this, and the lag we are already attempting to correct would be compounded once again.

The sharing campaign was not just to introduce new players, but to bring back old players. It stands to reason anyone here sharing knows ex-players who might want to return to see what's new. I've personally noticed a significant increase in combination with the EMS migration, despite the usual seasonal usual seasonal low in terms of playership. I also want to mention I've personally been uncertain of MapleStory 2 because I felt MapleStory's 2D aspect made it stand out and was a major reason for its success and continuation to this point.

Others in this thread have covered points similarly and better. Changing MapleStory to 2.5D would be extremely costly and difficult of an undertaking, and I believe would reduce playership for various reasons.
    edited November 2016
    MegaScience

MapleStory's 2D aspect is what makes it unique. Nowadays, all you see is the same 2.5D games with slightly different graphics, and they get a little notice before fading out of the minds of all but the most dedicated of them. That also forgoes the fact that MapleStory is a 2D MMO, something at least fairly uncommon in the west, and therefore creating its own draw.

MapleStory being 2D does have advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage is it is difficult to introduce new player poses as each possible equip would need a new sprite designed for the pose. However, an advantage is that each effect can be hand-designed to be both unique and memorable. Normal 3D games build their effects via different combinations of visual aids their engines allow, which ends up just being variations of colors and shape that can't stand out the same as a personally designed effect. For instance, Jett's 5th Job skill looks beautiful to me, and I hope more changes were made to finally encourage players to work on Jetts.

You should also consider that changing a game to 3D isn't as simple as other games make it seem. I could take example of Prison Architect, where they hid in a method to change the game from 2D to 3D. However, this was only possible after major reworking of their engine, as well as manual recreation of all visible objects for compatibility. MapleStory has a vastly larger amount of content which would be an extraordinary undertaking to go over and change layering, perspective, and likewise to function as you wish. Not to mention the engine likely couldn't support this, and the lag we are already attempting to correct would be compounded once again.

The sharing campaign was not just to introduce new players, but to bring back old players. It stands to reason anyone here sharing knows ex-players who might want to return to see what's new. I've personally noticed a significant increase in combination with the EMS migration, despite the usual seasonal usual seasonal low in terms of playership. I also want to mention I've personally been uncertain of MapleStory 2 because I felt MapleStory's 2D aspect made it stand out and was a major reason for its success and continuation to this point.

Others in this thread have covered points similarly and better. Changing MapleStory to 2.5D would be extremely costly and difficult of an undertaking, and I believe would reduce playership for various reasons.
    I can agree with must of what you say and your answer really nice to read ^.^
    but wouldnt you think that there is more to work on at least at the game chats when i can see my self with pixel and the person infront of me npc look really good animated player. i mean i just saw it in my new account and i was sad that my charcter isnt looking like that npc, as well as in normal gameplay, i guess i just think that the game need something new in aspect of graphic, lets say they changed it already right? you can see how 13** quality is better then the old 800-600 one.