[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Migration Delayed

KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
Reactions: 11,690
edited September 2016 in Vault
Hi Maplers,

Previously we indicated that the migration of Europe MapleStory to the Global service would take place on September 28th. We regret to announce that this migration will need to be delayed by a few weeks. We don’t have an exact date yet, but rest assured we will provide you with an updated timeline as soon as we have one.

Thanks,

The MapleStory Team
MataharyLilyflower

Comments

• FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    A few weeks? What happened? o_o
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited September 2016
    Feels bad for my fellow europeans who were looking forward to joining us, but better it be done right than done fast.
    KittiesChaffeeJettLuvsUBIackbeanCatherinnaStarrySWolf
  • LelouchyLelouchy
    Reactions: 305
    edited September 2016
    Few weeks sounds too long ;_;
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2016
    hold up your horses its gonna be a long ride.
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    I don't expect a migration to be free of bugs and glitches, but hopefully the delay means there will be less of them.
  • HeyaBabycakesHeyaBabycakes
    Reactions: 400
    edited September 2016
    ふかせ
    ふかせ said:

I don't expect a migration to be free of bugs and glitches, but hopefully the delay means there will be less of them.
    You would think so, but...*longingly stares at Beast Tamer*
  • LæfyLæfy
    Reactions: 1,110
    edited September 2016
    Well... I was never planning to play with my friends in europe anways..

Its okay nexon...just keep fighting
    -sobs-
    JettLuvsU
  • GimoGimo
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited September 2016
    I guess I should jump in and ask this question, since it is on topic.

Once the servers merge, will the British law system (mostly the laws that prevent art theft) be put into place? I don't know if the rules would change since GMS is handled by NoA, and the laws of America would apply, but it doesn't hurt to ask. (I mean, I already have custom art ready so it doesn't effect me but whatever)
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited September 2016
    disappointing, but hopefully its for the best.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Gimo
    Gimo said:

Once the servers merge, will the British law system (mostly the laws that prevent art theft) be put into place? I don't know if the rules would change since GMS is handled by NoA, and the laws of America would apply, but it doesn't hurt to ask. (I mean, I already have custom art ready so it doesn't effect me but whatever)
    Would there be anything affected by laws concerning art theft? Admittedly I don't know much about British law, but is there some specific problem the game has or something?
  • PerceptivityPerceptivity
    Reactions: 2,820
    edited September 2016
    Could anyone tell us why it's been delayed?
  • ThatGuyZennyThatGuyZenny
    Reactions: 1,300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    We got Nexon'd once again :/ (Ive Been waiting 10 years for this)
    JettLuvsU
  • GimoGimo
    edited September 2016
    Neospector

Gimo
    Gimo said:

Would there be anything affected by laws concerning art theft? Admittedly I don't know much about British law, but is there some specific problem the game has or something?
    The only real concern I have is forum avatars, as now people can't grab an random image off the internet and use it for their avatar without getting explicit permission from the author for it to be used. I already have an avatar made by someone and can provide proof, but I feel like not everyone would know this law (heck, even I wouldn't know it if I hadn't played a certain game, whom I won't name) and it could eventually lead to some big legal trouble.

But the thing is the Nexon of America technically runs GMS, so I don't know if the server merge will force players to follow the laws of other countries or if they only need to follow the laws of their own and America's.
  • LelouchyLelouchy
    Reactions: 305
    edited September 2016
    I think you're overthinking things here Gimo, The likelihood of getting in trouble for a forum avatar you don't have permission for is very slim.
  • FawnFawn
    Reactions: 820
    edited September 2016
    Lelouchy
    Lelouchy said:

I think you're overthinking things here Gimo, The likelihood of getting in trouble for a forum avatar you don't have permission for is very slim.
    I agree. I don't know how often this rule is enforced in the UK, but I imagine getting any kind of repercussions for using an image on a forum is unlikely. Aren't there American laws for copyright as well, though? I don't know enough about this but I wouldn't worry too much! @Gimo I do think it's good to consider permission regardless of laws when it comes to avatars though. I'm an artist and I know I'd be sad if someone used my image without asking...

As for the delay of the merge... It's sad, but I hope this means there will be less bugs and problems once it happens. I remember the day Europeans could no longer create accounts on GMS and I was so sad I could no longer recruit my friends irl. I hope more start playing on the GMS servers and that the community grows! /optimism end

JettLuvsU
  • LiesLies
    Reactions: 910
    edited September 2016
    Old news coming from Nexon as always.
  • GimoGimo
    edited September 2016
    Lelouchy
    Lelouchy said:

Still, it would be illegal. I can kill someone and hide the body so I never get caught, sure, but that doesn't make it any more legal than it already is (a bit extreme of a comparison, but you get my point). The site I mentioned takes breaking this law very seriously, with punishment ranging from a multi-month ban to a permanent lock on the account. Nexon is a big company that gets into enough trouble as it is. I don't think they want to add legal trouble to the list of things that need to be addressed in the next meeting.
    Fawn
    Fawn said:

Aren't there American laws for copyright as well, though?
    Fair Use is a gray area when it comes to images, due to the low amount of cases there are to help define what it means. Sometimes companies will enforce an infringement upon their copyright, and other even make avatars for free advertisement (a la Warner Brothers with the release of The Great Gatsby movie and the avatar creator app). American companies are more lean as to whether it is allowed. I would say that most big companies don't care as it is free advertisement, but the topic I'm referring to focuses more on the less famous authors, such as those on DeviantArt or similar sites.
  • ChaffeeChaffee
    Reactions: 200
    edited September 2016
    KeepComingBack

Feels bad for my fellow europeans who were looking forward to joining us.
    ^this

Been waiting to join reboot since the announcement of the merge and now its delayed for couple more weeks. shame on you nexon
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited September 2016
    Chaffee
    Chaffee said:

KeepComingBack

Feels bad for my fellow europeans who were looking forward to joining us.
    ^this

Been waiting to join reboot since the announcement of the merge and now its delayed for couple more weeks. shame on you nexon
    if they're delaying it clearly they found something big, you should be happy as that's one less potential problem.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

if they're delaying it clearly they found something big, you should be happy as that's one less potential problem.
    Possibly.
    I can't speak for Nexon, but when I fail to finish a project on time, it can be one of three situations:
    1. It was too big of a project for any one person to complete in the allotted time;
    2. I was busy doing other things and never got around to the project until it was too late;
    3. I worked on it and thought it was complete (or nearly so) when I discovered a major problem that would take longer to fix than the time I had left.

Translated into this migration project, this comes to:
    1. The original schedule was too ambitious. It was impossible to be ready on time with the resources (mostly dev hours) that were allocated to it.
    2. The people who were supposed to be working on the migration kept getting pulled away to other things.
    3. The project was advancing on schedule, until a major issue was discovered just now.

You assume it's #3. I make no assumptions. And I doubt we'll ever be told which it is. Just have to wait patiently.
    JettLuvsULilyflowerChristmas