[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Returning player!

xDeejxxDeejx
Reactions: 200
edited November 2016 in General Chat
Hey guys i havent played MS since sophmore year in highschool! (2009) How is the game now?? Is it still empty your wallet to be able to dish max damage? hows leveling nowadays? Im excited to be able to play again! Please give me any pointers!!

Comments

• PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited November 2016
    Pretty much still empty-your-wallet-to-be-able-to-dish-max-damage. Maple's been called pay2win to drive that point home.

Leveling's gotten a lot easier and it's about to get even easier still with the next update which decreases the amount of exp you need to get to 200.
    GambyThe4th
  • GambyThe4thGambyThe4th
    Reactions: 520
    edited November 2016
    Loads more classes have been released since 2009. Mercedes, Demon Slayer, Shade, Phantom to name a few. Cygnus characters can go up to the level cap 250. The player base has slowly been depleting but there are still plenty of people playing. Leveling, as @PhoenixKumo said, is way too easy nowadays. There are videos on YouTube showing people going from 1-200 in an afternoon. The damage cap was raised to make it more pay2win than it already was.

It isn't all bad though. There are so many more areas to explore and bosses to fight. Since 2009, Edelstein was added to introduce Resistance characters like Battle Mages, Wild Hunters, and Mechanics. Blaster was recently added too. The new classes give, to me, a bigger pool of characters to like and play. Try out the new classes: there's bound to be a new class you'll like.
    Luxx
  • xDeejxxDeejx
    edited November 2016
    GambyThe4th

Loads more classes have been released since 2009. Mercedes, Demon Slayer, Shade, Phantom to name a few. Cygnus characters can go up to the level cap 250. The player base has slowly been depleting but there are still plenty of people playing. Leveling, as @PhoenixKumo said, is way too easy nowadays. There are videos on YouTube showing people going from 1-200 in an afternoon. The damage cap was raised to make it more pay2win than it already was.

It isn't all bad though. There are so many more areas to explore and bosses to fight. Since 2009, Edelstein was added to introduce Resistance characters like Battle Mages, Wild Hunters, and Mechanics. Blaster was recently added too. The new classes give, to me, a bigger pool of characters to like and play. Try out the new classes: there's bound to be a new class you'll like.
    Good info im excited about the new classes ive never seen before i cant wait to give it a try. Im just a little salt about it still being pay 2 win :
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

Good info im excited about the new classes ive never seen before i cant wait to give it a try. Im just a little salt about it still being pay 2 win :
    well the P2W is slightly less due to the maple rewards system, but only slightly.
  • xDeejxxDeejx
    edited November 2016
    Catooolooo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

well the P2W is slightly less due to the maple rewards system, but only slightly.
    i feel like thats still not good enough sigh i feel like i wont be able to get into parties/raids or solo hard content unless i join the money squad :/. I dont have the money to drop $400 every 2 weeks atm sigh
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

Catooolooo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

i feel like thats still not good enough sigh i feel like i wont be able to get into parties/raids or solo hard content unless i join the money squad :/. I dont have the money to drop $400 every 2 weeks atm sigh
    That's not to say there aren't content that is absolutely inaccessible if you don't have the money to up your power. Maple's really upped their game when it comes to storytelling so if nothing else, play it for that, especially the Blockbusters which are basically major storyline plots which you can access once you hit a certain level and go to Ereve Conference Room in the Dimensional Mirror. Or you could play the quirky and light-hearted Friendstory, which you can access once you reach level 33 through the book icon on the left and clicking the black cell phone.
  • xDeejxxDeejx
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

Catooolooo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

That's not to say there aren't content that is absolutely inaccessible if you don't have the money to up your power. Maple's really upped their game when it comes to storytelling so if nothing else, play it for that, especially the Blockbusters which are basically major storyline plots which you can access once you hit a certain level and go to Ereve Conference Room in the Dimensional Mirror. Or you could play the quirky and light-hearted Friendstory, which you can access once you reach level 33 through the book icon on the left and clicking the black cell phone.
    Whats the benefits from that doing that? Ima give it a try once i can get there. Also i am a end game kind of guy so i always lookforward to endgame content as well as story. Hell i already blew enough money on Dragon Nest when nexon still published it wish i wouldve waited. I guess ill just level tomorrow when the update is live
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

PhoenixKumo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

Catooolooo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

Whats the benefits from that doing that? Ima give it a try once i can get there. Also i am a end game kind of guy so i always lookforward to endgame content as well as story. Hell i already blew enough money on Dragon Nest when nexon still published it wish i wouldve waited. I guess ill just level tomorrow when the update is live
    Well, you'll cry tears of heartbreak wait no, that's not a benefit uh, besides the exp (dependent on level so probably the higher level you are when you start the better), there are various different rewards for each different thing. For the Blockbusters, they give you a preview of the rewards before you start each section of the story. Heroes of Maple has chairs to offer, if you're into collecting. Friendstory gives out Silver Needles for each chapter you complete, which you could use to buy stuff from a shop including chairs and damage skins as the more notable prizes.
  • Hungry4PizzaHungry4Pizza
    Reactions: 1,260
    edited November 2016
    xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

PhoenixKumo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

Catooolooo

xDeejx
    xDeejx said:

GambyThe4th

Whats the benefit? Its entertaining. If you only care about damage and exp gain per hour, then I guess you shouldn't bother. I personally find grinding to be a waste of time because every year Nexon decreases the exp curve again (This patch marks the 11th or 12th time they made leveling easier).
    So Why Waste Your Time Grinding now when it'll be easier and more efficient exp gain later after the next exp curve decrease.
    And it might not seem obvious at first, but "End Game" is a time in maple where there is less and less to do.
    I'd enjoy the journey, because the destination is pretty pointless. 90% or more of the enemies, areas, and quests is too low level to even matter anymore once you reach 200.
    Btw Nexon already commented that 5th job wasn't going to drastically change hunting patterns, So I consider it an extension of your 4th job with a few new hyperskill attacks.
    It'll still be a great update because of link skill management, and A Better Maple inclusions.