[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon

ChukkiChukki
Reactions: 1,525
edited December 2016 in General Chat
I'm glad that they extended this maintenance.

Why you may ask?

I rather have them TRYING to fix broken things rather than keeping broken stuff in the live servers.

Props to Nexon for at least trying to fix stuff.

Novasiri

Comments

• ange1DoIIange1DoII
    Reactions: 1,495
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Chukki
    Chukki said:

I'm glad that they extended this maintenance.

Why you may ask?

I rather have them TRYING to fix broken things rather than keeping broken stuff in the live servers.

Props to Nexon for at least trying to fix stuff.

YES! people should be happy they are fixing it (or Trying to) instead of bad mouthing them at all they should be able to wait so nexon can FIX the bugs.
    Novasiri
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited December 2016
    *fingers crossed* I hope they don't ruin it fingers crossed!.
  • ange1DoIIange1DoII
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    as someone said in the maintance update to me, "What if they are asleep?" So, who cares? it's only a MMORPG right? we're all human. not only that, we waited for job 5 update for 10 years, what is 1-2 days more going to hurt?
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    Reactions: 400
    edited December 2016
    The fact they're fixing them lets you know the bugs would've cost them money if they left them in. Plenty of bugs still floating around that won't get fixed any time soon just because they don't stop people from spending thousands of dollars on cubes and random boxes to make numbers get bigger.
    ange1DoII
  • ange1DoIIange1DoII
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    ^ like the one in afterlands with the sack, that one needs fixing even though its only just totems as prizes.
    Relic118
  • yannickyannick
    Reactions: 340
    edited December 2016
    If Nexon was competent enough to actually run an online game they wouldn't need to attempt to fix stuff for over a day. Keep in mind that GMS is like what, 10 years old? And they still run it like a group of teenagers that learned how to do it on Youtube.
    Hungry4Pizza
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    edited December 2016
    yannick
    yannick said:

And they still run it like a group of teenagers that learned how to do it on Youtube.
    Maybe they just really like 009 Sound System.
  • Hungry4PizzaHungry4Pizza
    Reactions: 1,260
    edited December 2016
    JetUppercut

yannick
    yannick said:

And they still run it like a group of teenagers that learned how to do it on Youtube.
    I think, unlike you, that yannick has a good point.
    This is a 2D MMO and almost 12 years old.
    Yet every single patch its this same extended maintenance garbage. Wtf.
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    edited December 2016
    Hungry4Pizza

JetUppercut

yannick
    yannick said:

I think, unlike you, that yannick has a good point.
    This is a 2D MMO and almost 12 years old.
    Yet every single patch its this same extended maintenance garbage. Wtf.
    Unlike being an idiot on the internet, maintaining a codebase doesn't get easier over time.
    After 12 years I'm surprised they haven't tossed it and started over. Multiple times.
    It'd definitely be easier than training new people how to use your specific and depreciated code every time someone senior leaves for a better paying job in a different industry.
  • yannickyannick
    Reactions: 340
    edited December 2016
    Rewriting a 12 year old system from scratch is definitely not easier than simply patching it over and over again. That doesn't take away the fact that actually being qualified to do something and the numerous testing methods available won't prevent what is happening with Nexon every time.
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    edited December 2016
    yannick
    yannick said:

Rewriting a 12 year old system from scratch is definitely not easier than simply patching it over and over again. That doesn't take away the fact that actually being qualified to do something and the numerous testing methods available won't prevent what is happening with Nexon every time.
    Well alright, how would you go about testing every single piece of equipment with every single skill after a transfer to the new stat system that changes how almost everything works to check that none of them result in a character dealing several billion damage?
    Even automating a process like that would take hundreds if not thousands of hours.
    And if you have no reason to believe that any of the equipment or skills would result in that happening because the few local tests you've done with transferred data to the new stat system worked perfectly, why would you test it? Especially when you have a deadline, which if you miss, would probably make people more pissed off.
    There's no easy way to make sure there aren't any bugs.
    Nothing is 100% fool proof.
  • GamesdayGamesday
    Reactions: 870
    edited December 2016
    JetUppercut

yannick
    yannick said:

Well alright, how would you go about testing every single piece of equipment with every single skill after a transfer to the new stat system that changes how almost everything works to check that none of them result in a character dealing several billion damage?
    Even automating a process like that would take hundreds if not thousands of hours.
    And if you have no reason to believe that any of the equipment or skills would result in that happening because the few local tests you've done with transferred data to the new stat system worked perfectly, why would you test it? Especially when you have a deadline, which if you miss, would probably make people more pissed off.
    After 10+ years we don't expect 100%, when WoW brought their 12 year expansion we still didn't expect 100% same with maple story........... we expect a 80%-90% working game with a few minor / medium bugs non game breaking in a colossal way. When WoW came out with their expansion it had bugs but not game breaking bugs that left the game off for a whole day, we expect after 10+ years maple would at LEAST get a 75% working expansion..........I mean we expect bugs but bugs that break the game?, I mean did they even test it thoroughly?, you have to ask yourself did they?.

• ChukkiChukki
    edited December 2016
    We aren't having the same patch every year so why are we expecting everything to go perfect when every big update has been different?

"learn from your mistakes" doesn't work.

Nexon is not Blizzard.
    Can't afford to be "perfect"

WoW/BC/WOTLK/CATA/MoP/WoD/Legion
    were all big updates and all of them had broken bugs.

Compare Blizzards team to Nexon team.
    Huge size comparison.

• Hungry4PizzaHungry4Pizza
    Reactions: 1,260
    edited December 2016
    JetUppercut

yannick
    yannick said:

Well Nexon labels it self as a company of professionals, with full salaries and qualified associates to serve the administration of Maplestory and all of its facets to a wide consumer base.

It's their job. Those employees chose to do this work, no one forced them.
    Its hard to justify their salaries when they don't meet their own deadlines on a regular basis.
    You make it sound like we should pity them, because the work might be too hard for them to complete on time,
    But if that is the case, they should not collect full salaries. You're either qualified to achieve standards or not.
    This is the way of the world.
  • GamesdayGamesday
    edited December 2016
    Chukki
    Chukki said:

We aren't having the same patch every year so why are we expecting everything to go perfect when every big update has been different?

Nexon is not Blizzard.
    Um when in my comment did I say "perfect", last I heard 80% isn't perfect.........please read before you make yourself look ignorant.

• GamesdayGamesday
    edited December 2016
    Hungry4Pizza

JetUppercut

yannick
    yannick said:

Well Nexon labels it self as a company of professionals, with full salaries and qualified associates to serve the administration of Maplestory and all of its facets to a wide consumer base.

Its hard to justify their salaries when they don't meet their own deadlines on a regular basis.
    You make it sound like we should pity them, because the work might be too hard for them to complete on time,
    But if that is the case, they should not collect full salaries. You're either qualified to achieve standards or not.
    Thank PC culture for that.

• ChukkiChukki
    edited December 2016
    Gamesday
    Gamesday said:

Chukki
    Chukki said:

Nexon is not Blizzard.
    Um when in my comment did I say "perfect", last I heard 80% isn't perfect.........please read before you make yourself look ignorant.

When did I comment ever spoke of you?

I didn't and you assumed I quoted you?

Don't try me son.

• GamesdayGamesday
    edited December 2016
    Chukki
    Chukki said:

Gamesday
    Gamesday said:

Chukki
    Chukki said:

Nexon is not Blizzard.

Don't try me son.

When I don't quote, doesn't mean I was targeting towards you.

First I'm not your son, second you mentioned Blizzard, I am the ONLY one who mentioned WoW, please don't act so innocent its condescending.

• ChukkiChukki
    edited December 2016
    Gamesday
    Gamesday said:

Chukki
    Chukki said:

Gamesday
    Gamesday said:

Chukki
    Chukki said:

Nexon is not Blizzard.

Don't try me son.

When I don't quote, doesn't mean I was targeting towards you.

First I'm not your son, second you mentioned Blizzard, I am the ONLY one who mentioned WoW, please don't act so innocent its condescending.

Because you mentioned WoW, means that anybody else who mention it means they talk towards you now?

You need to rethink on what you just said.
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    edited December 2016
    Hungry4Pizza

And they are, that's why they're still working to fix this.
    Hungry4Pizza

Well when we finally live in a Utopia where everybody is absolutely perfect and nothing ever goes wrong, I'll come to you for advice on how to run a business.
    Until then, I'm just going to continue assuming that even with a 99.99999999999999% Margin of Error, that Murphy's Law is going to kick down your door and steal all your hopes and dreams and beat you to a bloody pulp with them.