[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make Game Resolution up to 1920 x 1080

OmbrenoirOmbrenoir
Reactions: 240
edited November 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Why is the screen resolution so low on this game? for a really popular game its disapointing.

I got a screen wich use 1920 x 1080 but the game only go to 1366 x 768 so its quite small
Cant you guys just add the other resolution.

I did try to use Shift window or borderless program and it does make the screen bigger but as soon as the screen become bigger the game freeze so.
MakazeKibaChukkiJulyMapleBishopFan1985

Comments

• MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited November 2016
    I'd love to see a larger resolution too.
  • OmbrenoirOmbrenoir
    edited November 2016
    I could go fullscreen sure but we watch TV via my computer with the tv connected via HDMI to my pc so i cant go fullscreen lol, but yeah that would be great if we could have the other resolution since 99% of people use HD 24 inch screen nowaday.

Or at least a fullscreen borderless option
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited November 2016
    Game is designed around the resolution it currently has. With bigger resolution it makes certain bosses like Magnus a lot easier. I wouldn't mind it too but I don't know how much development time is required to make such a thing happen.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2016
    Might wanna read this. All of the "it's not as easy as you think"s that come with adding a new resolution setting.
  • OmbrenoirOmbrenoir
    edited November 2016
    Yeah i understand, i was asking cause i wanted to play, i havent played for a longtime and i though why not give it a try again butwhen i logged in and saw that tiny screen i was took off from wanting to play it right away.

Especially since i play end game with great graphic and TONS of costumizing option to not even being able to have a borderless full screen or the 1920 x 1080 option so ill just wait and hope someday it will be there.

Like i said i even tryed 2 of my program wich one of em is paid to make any window or windowed screen borderless fullscreen but weirdly it does not work on maple story. It simply make it borderless full screen and freeze so.
  • TameemTameem
    Reactions: 780
    edited December 2016
    well making a new resolution is like making a new game and the game size would increase like a lot ! we already know that, But at least fix the errors on big screens I sometimes play on 4k monitor and I use picture frame around the game window to limit the distraction when I play on windowed mode -_-
  • JollyTacoJollyTaco
    Reactions: 410
    edited December 2016
    Well its been Stated in Kthx stream that it takes alot more then coding as Nexon has to edit everything to fit the resolution so it won't look too pixelated
    and the data has to make it from Kms dont for get this is an old game that was designed for that era 05 ish?
  • OmbrenoirOmbrenoir
    edited December 2016
    Yeah i understand that, i was simply suggesting since it is the suggestion forum.

I would have liked to play ms since its been a while but yeah not with a tiny screen lol. I know it is an old game but with how popular and this many update they do i was expecting that at least it have more resolution option then that.

So its fine lol i just wont play. maybe someday they will fix that
  • RyuhikoRyuhiko
    Reactions: 1,040
    edited December 2016
    Would LOVE to see this happen!
    No more black borders!

If this is ever possible please make it happen!
  • TameemTameem
    Reactions: 780
    edited December 2016
    hmm Nexon have 10 years experience now... I think its about time for them to start planning this step, Well at least they can start by making only the characters and equips HD and then patch after patch they can edit the game until it's finished, it's hard, but not impossible I help in making games myself so I have some experience, I know we might face a lot of troubles "cough" maintenance "cough" but I think it will be for the greater good hm!
  • HiekHiek
    Reactions: 925
    edited December 2016
    This would never happen. Just like what the Admin said in the link Aggraphine posted.
    In order to change the resolution to 1920x1080, Wizet would need to literally re-design all maps to scale up to that size.
    You can see a lot of maps still have black borders from when they increased the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, and they didn't fix those, now we have 1366x768 and a lot of those maps still haven't been fixed to fit the size.

If you know anything about 2D Game Development, you would know that MapleStory's maps and everything else in the game is all done through images. They could add 1920x1080 two different ways and both results wouldn't be pretty.

1. The game would be stretched out making it too pixelated and ugly which would defeat the purpose of even being "1080p quality".

2. They could change the resolution without stretching the images, but would result in "cutoffs" because things like backgrounds weren't designed bigger than "768 height"
    I found this on Google Images when searching MapleStory 1920x1080
    You can see the height was cutoff since it only goes up to 768 pixels high, while the width looks like it fits nicely, it's not true for a lot of other maps since this one is a rather large map. Small hunting fields such as Drakes for example would have a lot of black borders on the Left, and Right if the resolution was changed, even if they redesigned the backgrounds to fit 1920x1080, they would still need to redesign the map itself too because the platforms and stuff would look too small (aka, looks zoomed out)

Changing the resolution isn't as simple as it would be for 3D games such as MapleStory 2 or other MMORPGs.
    They would literally need to redesign the Backgrounds from scratch and also redesign the maps to fit the large resolutions without causing it to look ugly or cut off. They will also have to redesign the UI again because the UI would be too small on a higher resolution.

I took an example screenshot of my Inventory expanded at 1366x768
    The buttons already begin looking really small, so imagine 1920x1080 without redesigning things all over again.

As much as I would like to see Maple running at 1600x900(720p) ~ 1920x1080(1080p) It will sadly never happen, ever.
    UNLESS Wizet has plans on redesigning every single entire art/design for every single map in the entire game from scratch.