[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Give the maple developers some credit

CloudyroachCloudyroach
Reactions: 260
edited December 2016 in General Chat
Atleast they are trying to fix everything right away, instead of leaving the game broken for a couple of days. Plus, they've been working since the very start of the maintenance.
SouloSammy_KunBleethValryia

Comments

• RaymondclericRaymondcleric
    Reactions: 720
    edited December 2016
    It is never easy building a game be it multiplayer or single player.
  • ZapsterZapster
    Reactions: 560
    edited December 2016
    Hell no
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Cloudyroach

Atleast they are trying to fix everything right away, instead of leaving the game broken for a couple of days. Plus, they've been working since the very start of the maintenance.
    Yeah, they've been working hard on this patch.
    Harder than they've worked on it for the past six months...

We should give them credit for trying to make up for not doing their job right in the first place?
    We should fall all over ourselves in gratitude that they're fixing our game for us, the very game that pays their salaries?
    Yeah, no.
    Gio1373deadend5193
  • DrudenDruden
    Reactions: 810
    edited December 2016
    They've lost an entire day of money. This is bad news for them, their marketing team must be crying right now.
    JacaruLilyflower
  • NakazatoJLNakazatoJL
    Reactions: 1,505
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    I agree we need to be patiente, but one thing u brought up is wront, they are not fixing it right away because it's just a bug, it's because it's a bug that may break a lot of the game, or that gives players a way to abuse, bugs like the dojo ranks, they really don't care about
  • HeinekenHeroHeinekenHero
    Reactions: 2,060
    edited December 2016
    I remember when people that would find exploits would use them on the sly then release them public on weekends when nexon doesn't work so the game would be so messed up that theyd have to do rollback and fix it but the exploiters would get away with it.
  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    edited December 2016
    ofc they take game down and fix it asap.. why will they leave it up and working when unfunded ppl can do 10b lines and kill lotus/damien in less then a min..
  • HeinekenHeroHeinekenHero
    Reactions: 2,060
    edited December 2016
    July
    July said:

ofc they take game down and fix it asap.. why will they leave it up and working when unfunded ppl can do 10b lines and kill lotus/damien in less then a min..
    sometimes people who find exploits don't use them till the weekend when nexon doesnt come in to the office and they get away with several days of exploits.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Druden
    Druden said:

They've lost an entire day of money. This is bad news for them, their marketing team must be crying right now.
    It's worse than that.
    They built so much hype for this patch and got so many people who've quit years ago to come back for it, and now it's all gone to waste because those people are forcibly reminded just why they quit in the first place.
    It's a marketing disaster.

In fact, if there's anyone at Nexon that deserves sympathy it's the marketing/PR/web people who've worked so hard on the micro-site and videos and all that, which all worked without a hitch (well, except for the quiz). And also OneLetter who seems to have stayed up all night just to give us these sad "another 2 hours guys" updates.
    Gio1373JacaruJulyLilyflowerdeadend5193
  • iMad24iMad24
    Reactions: 1,210
    edited December 2016
    what credit? they said it themselves, its been in the works for "10 years" and they still cant get right. not even once.
  • BanksBanks
    Reactions: 1,270
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Cloudyroach

We should give them credit for trying to make up for not doing their job right in the first place?
    We should fall all over ourselves in gratitude that they're fixing our game for us, the very game that pays their salaries?
    Yeah, no.
    1. We should fall all over ourselves in gratitude that they're fixing our game for us, the very game that pays their salaries?
    Yeah, no

I don't know if you understand, but it is not simply just "falling in gratitude," but it is the fact that we appreciate their diligence to fixing the problem instead of letting it sit. Coding is no simple feat, and one comma can ruin so many things. So think, if it was you trying to manage thousands of players and realizing that when you placed that comma in your code, you just gave players 10 mil damage. Not only that, you don't know where the comma error is and if it effected anything else. You don't have to fall in gratitude to Nexon, but understand that they are trying their best to deliver.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Banks
    Banks said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Cloudyroach

Yeah, no.
    1. We should fall all over ourselves in gratitude that they're fixing our game for us, the very game that pays their salaries?
    Yeah, no

I don't know if you understand, but it is not simply just "falling in gratitude," but it is the fact that we appreciate their diligence to fixing the problem instead of letting it sit. Coding is no simple feat, and one comma can ruin so many things. So think, if it was you trying to manage thousands of players and realizing that when you placed that comma in your code, you just gave players 10 mil damage. Not only that, you don't know where the comma error is and if it effected anything else. You don't have to fall in gratitude to Nexon, but understand that they are trying their best to deliver.
    You didn't answer my line right above what you copied, the one about not doing their job right in the first place.

Yes, a comma can ruin everything.
    That's why you do a code review.
    That's why you do testing.
    I'm a professional programmer. I've worked on projects as old and as big as MapleStory. I know from experience that updates to such projects can be developed in such a way that they don't require 26 hours of downtime and frenetic bug fixing after they go live.
    Lilyflower
  • BanksBanks
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Banks
    Banks said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Cloudyroach

Yeah, no.
    Yeah, no

You didn't answer my line right above what you copied, the one about not doing their job right in the first place.

Yes, a comma can ruin everything.
    That's why you do a code review.
    That's why you do testing.
    I'm a professional programmer. I've worked on projects as old and as big as MapleStory. I know from experience that updates to such projects can be developed in such a way that they don't require 26 hours of downtime and frenetic bug fixing after they go live.
    Testing and code review is constantly going on. However, you can not catch everything always for such a big game. You out of all people should understand that. I don't dent your rep as a professional programmer, but I do know some knowledge myself. You may have worked on a project big as maple story, however, have you actually worked on maple story itself?

I'm going to assume the answer is no, and in that case, we, the players, can not really understand what is truly going on. You can work on something similar to a game, but even you know, no program is the same.
  • xEvilSoulxxEvilSoulx
    Reactions: 865
    edited December 2016
    Cloudyroach

i give them credit, to only the actual people working on fixing stuff , but only them
  • BanksBanks
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    xEvilSoulx

Cloudyroach

i give them credit, to only the actual people working on fixing stuff , but only them
    So, without being at the company, how can one assume who is actually working? As far as we know, everyone is working.

• xEvilSoulxxEvilSoulx
    Reactions: 865
    edited December 2016
    Banks
    Banks said:

xEvilSoulx

Cloudyroach

So, without being at the company, how can one assume who is actually working? As far as we know, everyone is working.

i gave them credit, don't push : /
  • ElZappoElZappo
    Reactions: 400
    edited December 2016
    It's a massive codebase. This seems to be an all out effort to fix things. I've been playing since the Beta rlease and have seen some horrid screwups. We kinda got used to but hated rollbacks. At least now the classes have been put on reasonably equal gradings. Any early player remember the hatred of Sins?
    Still - it's frustrating the number of restarts I've seen just this past week.
  • SoreSore
    Reactions: 415
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The lag is still unbearable though. Plus the auction house doesn't work and evan link skill is bugged by not being in the list of links to transfer over. Tons of bugs that have yet to be fixed and it seems they can care less to fix it.
  • LucasGiacomettiLucasGiacometti
    Reactions: 570
    edited December 2016
    I find it amusing that some people would so quickly jump in to defend NEXON when the opposite would never happen.
    Lilyflower
  • TemptationTemptation
    Reactions: 1,575
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Why they can't have the same quality as Nexon Korea? Why we have to take with all the crap here? They just don't care about their player base ... (the last streams shows the respect they have).
    I'm on the verge of quitting this game again, and for the same reason, too many crashes.
    Lilyflower