[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[POLL]Allow more GMST testers

DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
Reactions: 7,195
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I heard that some Youtubers such as Sorrowful, Matt, SmartBored and Daboki and going to be the test server to test out the new skills and area. Aside from streamers and youtubers, will it be possible for some very observant forum members to test out the servers and write out reports on the features and such? We do have VFMs and some very smart members in the forum community who can do a decent job doing an overview on what to expect during the next patch while recording a streaming.

Do you think Nexon should allow a few more people to test the 5th job content before it hits the server?
  1. Do you think Nexon should allow a few more people to test the 5th job content before release date?23 votes
    1. Nexon only allows famous people on Twitch/Youtube
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Nexon should allow players who are knowledgeable and can provide clear explanations
       91% (21 votes)
    3. Nexon doesn't have room for any more people to test the server
       9% (2 votes)

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2016
    A thread based on hearsay, pointing fingers of favoritism at big-name maple streamers and youtube channels?

genji123JettLuvsU
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited December 2016
    Well unless they're all lying about being approached by Nexon to test the 5th job content ahead of time it's not really hearsay.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    First off, I approve of letting some players access the test server before the content is released. Assuming Nexon actually fixes at least some of the bugs they find before the 15th... I don't particularly care about "reports" of features for the community, because we'll all get to play it in just a few days, and those who want to can read and watch KMS info ahead of time. It's the bugs that are important.

I hope that, besides streamers, they also invited people who've demonstrated the ability to write coherent bug reports, either on the forums or on the subreddit. Streamers focus on doing fun things that people will want to watch, not the sort of repetitive things careful testing entails. And while streamers could run into bugs I think dedicated testers would do better.

Either way it's a good start, and I hope it can prevent the next patch from being as disastrous as v178.
    JettLuvsU
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

First off, I approve of letting some players access the test server before the content is released. Assuming Nexon actually fixes at least some of the bugs they find before the 15th... I don't particularly care about "reports" of features for the community, because we'll all get to play it in just a few days, and those who want to can read and watch KMS info ahead of time. It's the bugs that are important.

I hope that, besides streamers, they also invited people who've demonstrated the ability to write coherent bug reports, either on the forums or on the subreddit. Streamers focus on doing fun things that people will want to watch, not the sort of repetitive things careful testing entails. And while streamers could run into bugs I think dedicated testers would do better.

Either way it's a good start, and I hope it can prevent the next patch from being as disastrous as v178.
    I've been testing bugs in the debug builds of Yandere Simulator. I helped Yandere Dev reproduce the "Yandere Chan falling off the roof glitch" as well as her clipping into the cabinet while making food in the cooking club. I was wondering if some of us great bug reporters on the forums can give the team all the things that need to be fixed.
  • StayGoldStayGold
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited December 2016
    I would want to be a participant in the test server, but does it require you to stream the gameplay? I don't have a video recording device or microphone, or even money to buy either one of those, so..
    Instead, I just want to find and report the game-breaking bugs that currently persist in the game.. and try out the new content even if I'm not level 200 yet :)
    I'm not a coder/programmer, but I am an experienced player (roughly 8-9 years) and could help provide feedback/suggestions that most of the player community would agree with regarding the 5th job update.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited December 2016
    Well looking at how they chose people for the MLC they almos exclusively chose streamers and other well known players, so if they really are picking testers I doubt it would be any different this time. Especially this late.
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited December 2016
    Honestly.
    I don't think testing should ever be streamed at all. You aren't really "testing" then.

Actual testing is the most boring, painful thing ever to do and it's not even fun to watch.
    But yes I agree more testers would be good, but have them actually test the content.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Okhura
    Okhura said:

Honestly.
    I don't think testing should ever be streamed at all. You aren't really "testing" then.

Actual testing is the most boring, painful thing ever to do and it's not even fun to watch.
    But yes I agree more testers would be good, but have them actually test the content.
    Within minutes of every GMS patch going live, bug reports start appearing on the forums and fansites. Within an hour or two all the major bugs are found (except for those that will only become apparent on day 2 of an event, etc). They are found not by people doing methodical testing, but by players simply playing in the most ordinary way. Some play the new content, some play the old, and they all run into bugs without looking for them.

That is why I think even streamers, who are allowed on the test server mostly for hype-building, have a good chance of running into bugs and saving us at least part of the inevitable "unscheduled" maintenance on the 15th or 16th.
    I don't know whether their normal-server characters were copied into the test server, or they had to make new ones and use special tools to level them up and gear them. I hope it's the former, because a lot of the bugs we get in the live servers involve old items/gear, old completed (or in progress) quests, link skills, and other things that just don't happen in a clean new test server (which is part of why Nexon's testers don't find them).

We'll see, I suppose.
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Okhura
    Okhura said:

Honestly.

Within minutes of every GMS patch going live, bug reports start appearing on the forums and fansites. Within an hour or two all the major bugs are found (except for those that will only become apparent on day 2 of an event, etc). They are found not by people doing methodical testing, but by players simply playing in the most ordinary way. Some play the new content, some play the old, and they all run into bugs without looking for them.

That is why I think even streamers, who are allowed on the test server mostly for hype-building, have a good chance of running into bugs and saving us at least part of the inevitable "unscheduled" maintenance on the 15th or 16th.
    I don't know whether their normal-server characters were copied into the test server, or they had to make new ones and use special tools to level them up and gear them. I hope it's the former, because a lot of the bugs we get in the live servers involve old items/gear, old completed (or in progress) quests, link skills, and other things that just don't happen in a clean new test server (which is part of why Nexon's testers don't find them).

We'll see, I suppose.
    That is a larger number than a few streamers who are likely to stick to their own mains.
    Sure they would hit a few of the bigger bugs but they could miss out on stuff like Kanna dc's if they don't play the class.

Again I am not against them actually testing but I think streaming isn't for testing purposes, it's for getting hype.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Okhura
    Okhura said:

Again I am not against them actually testing but I think streaming isn't for testing purposes, it's for getting hype.
    I agree.
  • HeroDjinnHeroDjinn
    Reactions: 1,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    as a Beta Tester and Tespia Tester, i say we just need people who are very trusting, and will try to point out the bugs as much as possible. Sure it will be boring but as long as it gets done and everything is all set, i would be happy
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited December 2016
    Picking community members for things like this has almost never worked out in GMS history lmao (the new forum moderators are fine, not the old ones), and OP would probably just use that connection to ask for Flames of Rebirth anyway.

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited December 2016
    Finding a trustful tester is hard but it's worth it.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    edited December 2016
    Okhura
    Okhura said:

Honestly.

i rather be given a to do list and cover the major things they need to test. I find it more productive for myself to be reproducing bugs and giving the developers valuable feedback before launching than to do dailies and drool on my calendar.

Ever since MLC was disbanded, most of my skills I obtained faded (kind of like deleting a character with a link skill.) I hope I can do some more volunteer work to stuff my resume before I find a job. I am not in because I want to put V Update Test server videos into my channel or stream, but to actually test the functionality of new features such as the advancement system, cores, matrix and the new Arcane Road.