[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[BUG] NEWLY CREATED EXPLORERS

StayGoldStayGold
Reactions: 1,670
edited December 2016 in Bug Reporting
On December 8th, 2016 3pm PST, I think a bug from last year has come back...
I'm able to create an Explorer, but the problem is the dialogue with Sugar (NPC) onboard The Sangri La. After she asks you what job you want for your character, and after the big exclamation from your character, the screen fades a faint black and then disconnects you and returns you to your computer's home screen with the message, "MapleStory has stopped working." Because of this, I am unable to do the first job advancement for any Explorer class.
Soon after discovering this bug, I entered a Live Chat with a Customer Support agent (GM Lyiese) and told him/her about my problem. He/she told me to open up the Nexon Launcher and click on the gear and select "Repair Installation" for MapleStory. After that, it still didn't work, and the game generated the same response after I tried logging into that character: disconnect and returned to the computer home screen with the "stopped working" message.

There is also an indicator that you arrive in Lith Harbor (because I heard a lightbulb quest sound when I attempted to log into that character), but there's a problem with actually spawning and the game displaying properly.
I'm also sure that this bug was not present before the Unscheduled maintenance that took place today (and even before the V update and the 3 maintenances that followed) because I was able to make an Archer a week before the V update.
Please fix this bug, preferably before the December 15th maintenance.
Thank you.
MaplerPissedOff

Comments

• StayGoldStayGold
    edited December 2016
    Bump because this is something I don't want other players that want to make an Explorer (but can't) to experience. It will make start to make people upset if more find out about this..
  • MaplerMapler
    Reactions: 710
    edited December 2016
    I'm having the same problem! I've made a post about this a week ago but this issue hasn't been fixed since the last update.
    I've even recreated the character, but the same thing happens when I get to that exact point.
    There have been similar posts in the tech support section as well.

I'd really like this bug to be fixed before the 15 so that I can receive the V package for my new explorer character. :/
    PissedOff
  • PissedOffPissedOff
    Reactions: 810
    edited December 2016
    Same here.
    Server: Reboot
  • StayGoldStayGold
    edited December 2016
    UPDATE: Beast Tamer also has a similar bug to this one. After you leave Arboren: Stump Town and say goodbye to your Granny, you end up in the map before Arboren: Wolf Woods, where you'll have to accept two quests from Arby. After you accept the second quest (to leave Arboren for good), the screen fades into a faint black and you DC, meaning you are returned to the home screen of your computer and greeted with the message (for Windows), "MapleStory has stopped working" along with the black screen that covers about 3/5 of the screen, requiring you to end MapleStory with Task Manager.

So now, Explorers and Beast Tamers currently have the same or similar bug:, disabling players to begin the first job advancement for both classes, possibly resulting from the unscheduled maintenance that took place on December 7th.

Any other classes I missed?

PLEASE FIX THESE BUGS THAT CURRENTLY AFFECT NEWLY CREATED EXPLORERS AND NEWLY CREATED BEAST TAMERS DURING THE MAINTENANCE ON DECEMBER 15TH.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Weird. I was able to make an explorer pirate just fine yesterday. The intro video (which seems to be where you guys are crashing?) had some really odd (but pretty funny) behavior though lol. It showed the YouTube watermark at the beginning, showed subtitles in Dutch of all things, then froze for a second after it finished, showing the YouTube play button and the video thumbnail.

I'm guessing the part where you're crashing for BT is where her video's supposed to play, too. So maybe it's the video?
    Mapler
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

Weird. I was able to make an explorer pirate just fine yesterday. The intro video (which seems to be where you guys are crashing?) had some really odd (but pretty funny) behavior though lol. It showed the YouTube watermark at the beginning, showed subtitles in Dutch of all things, then froze for a second after it finished, showing the YouTube play button and the video thumbnail.

I'm guessing the part where you're crashing for BT is where her video's supposed to play, too. So maybe it's the video?
    That's what I think as well. I was able to create an I/L mage just fine.

Video cutscenes are hosted on YouTube now to reduce physical client size (it doesn't go into your search history, I checked). This means, unfortunately, that there's a logo on it, but that's just YouTube's fault.
    I don't know why it was showing subtitles in Dutch of all things, but the freezing at the end is just some general latency (as in, it'll go away if you wait).

So, unfortunately, I've heard of this bug happening but can't replicate it. It seems to be a problem specific to certain computers or installations, and I would ask if anyone experiences this bug to try it out on later-game cutscenes (Black Heaven, Heroes of Maple, etc) on existing characters.
    Mapler
  • MaplerMapler
    Reactions: 710
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

That's what I think as well. I was able to create an I/L mage just fine.

Video cutscenes are hosted on YouTube now to reduce physical client size (it doesn't go into your search history, I checked). This means, unfortunately, that there's a logo on it, but that's just YouTube's fault.
    I don't know why it was showing subtitles in Dutch of all things, but the freezing at the end is just some general latency (as in, it'll go away if you wait).

So, unfortunately, I've heard of this bug happening but can't replicate it. It seems to be a problem specific to certain computers or installations, and I would ask if anyone experiences this bug to try it out on later-game cutscenes (Black Heaven, Heroes of Maple, etc) on existing characters.
    Oh... I guess you're right.
    I logged onto my new explorer on a different computer and it loaded perfectly fine. I was able to see the cutscene with the youtube watermark and everything.
    Thanks!
    But now the problem is.... How do I fix this? :/
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Mapler
    Mapler said:

I logged onto my new explorer on a different computer and it loaded perfectly fine. I was able to see the cutscene with the youtube watermark and everything.
    Thanks!
    I'm not particularly sure. If you had computer information (OS/Graphics card) it might be helpful. There may be some kind of common issue, like an un-updated graphics card driver (which are a pain in the neck to update, in my experience), so I would look into updating that.
  • StayGoldStayGold
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

Mapler
    Mapler said:

Thanks!
    I'm not particularly sure. If you had computer information (OS/Graphics card) it might be helpful. There may be some kind of common issue, like an un-updated graphics card driver (which are a pain in the neck to update, in my experience), so I would look into updating that.
    I'm currently running a Windows Vista Home Edition on an 8 year-old computer (Toshiba Satellite M505)) with a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset family.
    MapleStory still runs fine on it (playing on other characters, mobbing, bossing) - just with constant frame drops (not too severe).
    I didn't have this problem before the December 7th maintenance.

The problem is with my character appearing in Lith Harbor after where the cutscene video is supposed to play, and instead it crashes.
    With the video removed, there would always be the message displayed by the game, "Unable to play video" and then it would direct me to the image where the player has arrived in Victoria Island (the one with the slime behind the player if they chose to play as a Boy or the slime sitting on the railing if you chose to play as a Girl) and I would spawn in Lith Harbor with no issues. I know that my character is in Lith Harbor because it is level 10, and not 8 (what it would be if I was still on Maple Island).

Deleting the character does not work, because the same thing happens. But I will take your advice and see if updating my graphics driver does anything. If not, then I'll try it on a different computer. Thanks for the help.
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

I also removed all the cutscene videos from the MapleStory folder and put it in another folder. When I put the "adventurer" video back into the MapleStory folder and tried to log into that character, the game crashed again. Either way, with or without the cutscene video, the game crashes. I'm assuming it would be the same for BT, but I don't want to try because the game crashes even though I change my approach.