[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Familiars in Reboot World - New methods to obtain?

FutureChrisFutureChris
Reactions: 2,220
Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
edited January 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hi. I'm an active player in Reboot who likes to relax when not bossing or grinding. One way I like to relax is to hunt familiars; I find them to be more interesting than large, stationary chairs. I mean, having normal mobs and bosses alike just walking with you and fighting alongside you? Sounds amazing.

Currently, the only method for one to hunt and obtain familiars is to actually go out and hunt a specific mob, or have one just randomly drop. While it does sound like a nice incentive to grind, it gets to the point where the fam. card's drop rate is so low or in some cases, don't even exist. For example, Twilight Perion mobs never got them since they hit GMS. Getting back on track, I noticed in the "Cash Shop Update 1/4" page that certain mobs from the Arcane River region will be getting familiars, most recently from the Chu Chu Island and Lachelein areas. While it's fantastic that the developers here are keen to keep the familiar system in GMS, it seems the only method to obtain them is exclusively throuh the item Gachapon, since they don't actually drop from said mobs. Unfortunately, since Reboot doesn't have the item Gachapon, it's a bit impossible it seems.

I seem to recall seeing booster packs in the Cash Shop a few years back, such as legendary boosters, giving out familiars that'd be downright impossible to get, such as Pink Bean, Cygnus, Papulatus Clock, and other "mobs", like Crow and Starling. If it's not too difficult to implement into Reboot's cash shop, perhaps we could get those booster packs and possibly get the opportunity to get the Arcane familiars? Of course, I'm not suggesting users pay for them through NX, because that would go against the message of Reboot. However, I wouldn't be lying when I'd say I'd be willing to put down a couple million meso for a Legendary pack or two. Or five.

TL;DR:
If Reboot were to get starter, booster, and legendary familiar packs, players could have the opportunity to obtain the new familiars from the Arcane River region as a workaround of the lack of the item gachapon, as well as giving players a chance to get rarer familiars, such as bosses, without having to have an insane drop rate and a massive amount of luck. In addition, since Reboot has no free market, there wouldn't be any economic value to them; they would merely be another cosmetic item, much like how chairs are. In reboot, they could be paid for through meso, much like Miracle Circulators or red/black cubes are.

(I do apologize for seemingly rambling on about this subject, it's just familiars are a fun pastime of mine, and I'd imagine there are some others in Reboot that are as well.)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Some familiars are not purely cosmetic, though. Those that heal or improve drop rate could definitely be viewed as giving an advantage to paying customers, if they were to be sold for NX.
    In fact, technically, all familiars give some sort of buff, as well as fight alongside you (so, dpm increase). Granted, it's a very small boost, but the principle of Reboot is no advantage at all to paying cash (except for pets).

But booster packs for meso would certainly be nice.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited January 2017
    Also gona add that KMS never had the familiar system to begin with and still don't have it, that came from JMS, and in JMS it's way more up to date. GMS has just not updated it in years (yet they are happy to sell you familiars of new monsters in arcane river).
  • FutureChrisFutureChris
    edited January 2017
    [ [AKradian] Those that heal or improve drop rate could definitely be viewed as giving an advantage to paying customers, if they were to be sold for NX.
    In fact, technically, all familiars give some sort of buff, as well as fight alongside you (so, dpm increase). Granted, it's a very small boost, but the principle of Reboot is no advantage at all to paying cash (except for pets)

But booster packs for meso would certainly be nice.]

While that may be true, the familiars that have the effect of recovering HP/MP and increasing the Meso/Item drop rate can be hunted down, usually with no great stress (Wolf Underling excluded).

I was intending to ask if they could be sold for meso, but it must have slipped my mind seeing how it was around 4 AM. I'll edit my post to fix that.

[[Catooolooo] Also gona add that KMS never had the familiar system to begin with and still don't have it, that came from JMS, and in JMS it's way more up to date. GMS has just not updated it in years (yet they are happy to sell you familiars of new monsters in arcane river).]

I was unaware that the familiar system originated from JMS, my apologies. I usually just assume that everything hits KMS first and then goes down the 6-Month pipeline.

(Is it me or is quoting not working?)
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited January 2017
    many of the features are currently disabled to prevent certain exploits on the forums, and will remain disabled until they are resolved, and no one knows when that will be. there's a more detailed post http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/9599/why-don-t-people-remember-how-to-quote/p1

• FutureChrisFutureChris
    edited January 2017
    @Catooolooo
    You mention in your post that " in JMS it's way more up to date ". Just how different is the familiar system over there compared to here? I've heard things about having the ability to have two or maybe even three out at once, but I haven't really seen any proof.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited January 2017
    FutureChris

@Catooolooo
    You mention in your post that " in JMS it's way more up to date ". Just how different is the familiar system over there compared to here? I've heard things about having the ability to have two or maybe even three out at once, but I haven't really seen any proof.
    they can summon 3 at once, this ability comes from their 2 unique Professions based around the familiar system, Hunter and Tamer, there's plenty of proof if you know what you're looking for. Also theirs JMS's has Gollux/ Tynerium set,Reina Strait and a few other areas in the codex along with sets for those areas, also their codex isnt bugged out (showing multi pages of the same mobs) and also as an additional Familiar ranking called "mythic", their familiar system also has "familiar potential" but resetting that potential is pretty cheap (only about 500points/NX there iirc)

here's some solid proof if you needed it.
    https://japanms.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/game-update-version-2-01-renaissance-part-two/
  • FutureChrisFutureChris
    edited January 2017
    Wow, that's actually really cool! I'm hoping those professions and the codex update could be implemented into GMS at some point along with those booster packs.