[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

PvP and other competitive modes

OlueOlue
Reactions: 645
edited January 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
One thing that is really lacking in Maplestory right now are competitive modes. As of now it feels far too repetitive, grindy and not interactive. As long as you have a guide in front of you, training isn't difficult and funding characters doesn't require any practice or "skill". I know Maplestory was not intended to be a competitive game, but I'm not asking for esports level competitiveness and all I'm asking for is to have some alternatives that does not involve looking up guides and doing things step after step to perfection. Innovation, discovery and practice is something that makes me want to play games. Of course not everyone likes these kind of stuff, but I'm sure there are handful of people who would love to have these type of aspects in Maplestory. This game already had some of these aspects in CPQ, Ariant PQ and Chaos PvP, so it's not like the team is stepping into unknown territory. They already have their feets wet, so I'm not sure what is stopping the staff from reimplementing this into the game once again. One could make the argument that not enough people will play these contents (which I don't think is the case), but so what? If the mode isn't a big hit, so be it. There are PQ's that nobody plays anymore, and yet I don't see Nexon fiddling around with it and removing it. On the flip side, if the mode is a big hit, then it could be a big turning point in this game, which has always been about mindless PvE that involved little to no decision making and innovation. I know if I am complaining about the core of this game then I shouldn't be playing this game in the first place, but because I really enjoyed the competitive modes while it lasted I thought I would at least share my thoughts and opinion. Besides, the whole point of a suggestion forum is to open up your boundary and suggest things out of comfort range rather than accept the norm and act as if nothing will ever change.
Yacy

Comments

• YacyYacy
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited January 2017
    This would definitely give a huge + to MapleStory. They would have to think well about it to make it great tho. Just some ideas I got while reading Olue :
    - A HP like Madman Ranmarue's HP, ofc letting ppl simply use pots would be lame
    - Something where players actually fight, not like Arena where you use bosses as puppets
    - Stages in someway doesn't completly stop the fight but force the players to do, just for example, a mini jump quest, then they can back to the fight. The one who's slow or fail would have a punishement or something. Or again, the one who succes will have a reward to help him. So it's not only fighting, but ''finger skills'' or thinking skills

Well I just got these ideas so far, but yea you guys could certainly make it great. Also, connexion, lags, crashs are real issues in this game, so you would have to consider it.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited January 2017
    we did have a PvP once upon a time...but it became really toxic...like really really toxic. Sorry but I no support reimplementing it.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Flag Race.
  • OlueOlue
    edited January 2017
    Petalmagic

we did have a PvP once upon a time...but it became really toxic...like really really toxic. Sorry but I no support reimplementing it.
    Really? In Windia PvP the community had to be one of the most tamest I have ever witnessed with players having tons of respect for newcomers, veterans, and top players. Of course this could be different for the other worlds, but seeing as how the other major worlds also had a diverse pool of PvPers I would assume the community wasn't bad out there as well. If you are referring to the PvP system and overall gameplay being toxic, I really didn't find this to be the case. Yes there were some lag, but it is severely exaggerated by many players and really it was very playable. Most of these complainers spend NX and do god-like damage outside of PvP, and expect to do just as well just as easily in PvP only to get slam dunked like never before by f2p players. If you are one of those players... well the fries go well with the salt. I guess people in Maple is so accustomed to just looking up guides and expecting to perfect everything in matter of seconds that they forgot how to think on the spot and adapt when awkward situations arise, which constantly happens in PvP. Of course fundamentals of combo and character/matchup knowledge is something you look up in guides, but majority of one player's success comes from practice and patience. Guides are always dictated by metagame to begin with, so solely relying on it won't get you anywhere. I guess what I'm trying to say is the ones that say PvP was toxic are the same people who thinks PvP is all about spamming high-power skills, just like in training and bossing.
  • YacyYacy
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited January 2017
    Petalmagic

If you personnaly don't like it, just don't play it.

• FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Galicia before merge when the original pvp came out was pretty dead lol. Don't remember any toxicity, but the matches were always hella one-sided. I still had some fun with it, though. It'd be cool to see them bringing it back, but I don't really have a lot of faith in their ability to balance the classes...

There's also The Legends Return or whatever that star planet minigame was called. Maybe if they just made a hero for every class and gave 'em like, five abilities each, that might work.

There's also the problem with the damage gap, and how the funded can stomp the unfunded to the curb. You could just make it so your range doesn't factor into your damage, but it's also kinda lame if all the work you put into your character doesn't matter at all. Another thing they could do is make it like RuneScape's pvp minigames, where it balances teams by level. Except they'd probably be balancing teams by clean range in this case.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited January 2017
    Well i remember pvp beying somewhat alive compared to when the last mode came out, i got my lv1~~70 only in Pvp, and was pretty cool, it just got dead problably that it isn't the core and even in the time there wasn't that much good stuff to get, maybe revamping the rewards would make it more viable, but now with 5job would be either only 4job or just impossible to fully balance, not that worth today.

And there's some competetive stuff, like Lachenl PQ, Mu Lung Dojo, Tower of Oz, mostly people go hardcore on dojo, but look how Tower of Oz is now with the new emblems, even tought it's competitive, it's only really viable to make competitive something everybody can really do and get something good.

I think they really could revamp GPQ, not flag race, but the old Guild party quest, like making it give guild points for who do it and your guild, and giving better rewards at the end would be nice(making ergoth with more hp would be a must too), and you can have the rankings every week, that can grant more stuff and more points to the guild, it also could give exp to the guild. Maybe giving cubes? epic scroll/bonus pot, pot with like 50att for 30minutes if you got a high rank(like 20pots).
  • OlueOlue
    edited January 2017
    The thing about the "competitive" modes (Dojo, flag race, etc.) in Maple atm is that it is still non-interactive and each run is far too similar with majority being muscle memory and practicing the only scenario to perfection, frame by frame. I have no problems with speed run type modes as those add diversity to the game, but it doesn't solve the issue that this game lacks interactive modes that is more about practicing decision making and adaptation skills while utilizing multiple fundementals and knowledge.