[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

March 1st for MVP?

CactrotCactrot
Reactions: 565
Member, Private Tester
edited February 2017 in General Chat
The system is supposed to be a "Thank you" for players who help keep the game running, and it's pretty irritating that past patronage apparently means diddly-squat. Why aren't you counting the past 3 months? If you can set an arbitrary date (March 1st) then you can set an arbitrary date 3 months in the past (December 1st).

"Fresh start" doesn't even really make sense, and it makes even less sense as a "Thank you" :/
SanctityForumKous

Comments

• NakazatoJLNakazatoJL
    Reactions: 1,505
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    "Fresh Start" is just an excuse for "Buy more, yes, buy more to get low tier rewards, buy now"

Edit: Also those price ranges for limited grades are insane, 900k every 3 months, sure I am spending 900$ on maple every 3 months, sure, maybe every 2 years I do spend that much
  • 2Short2Post2Short2Post
    Reactions: 640
    edited February 2017
    All they want is to milk for us whales to spend an extra 900 early of course. Unfortunately the stuff is so bad that I'm not even gonna prob get my diamond in June. There is literally 4 things i want from the rewards. Pretty cheap and ridiculous way to treat the people who funds the servers.

I dont even use guild buff •MVP Superpower Buff (30 minutes): 30 attack and magic attack [1]
    Hello Power elixers drop untradables •MVP Healing Potion: 10,000 HP and MP [50]
    Literally only thing I want •MVP Megaphone: effect is based on rank [3/4/5]
    I can't afk in henesys anymore •Mu Lung Mind and Body Training Centre Charm [3 hours/6 hours/12 hours]
    Use for lower level less for high leveled •MVP Plus EXP Buff (30 minutes): +50% experience [1/2/3]
    Already have a perm htr •MVP Teleport World Map: 5 minute cooldown [1/1/1]
    Why dojo? 1 run is all you need •MVP Only Mu Lung Dojo Entrance Coupon: lets you increase Mu Lung Dojo’s daily entry limit by 1 [1/1/1]
    Only need green pot •Monster Park REBORN Discount Entry Coupon: lowers the Maple Points cost of entering Monster Park REBORN [1/2/3]

•MVP Title: [MVP Silver (5 attack and magic attack, 7 all stats, 500 HP and MP)/MVP Gold (7 attack and magic attack, 8 all stats, 500 HP and MP, 5 speed)/MVP Diamond (10 attack and magic attack, 10 all stats, 500 HP and MP, 5 speed, 6% defense ignore)]
    wow... See root abyss title

•Maple Points Coupons: [3,000/6,000/9,000]
    I still have 40k rewards points.... 9000 is like 1% cash back.

•MVP Nametag Ring/Chat Bubble Ring: effect is based on rank
    See: Inkwash Nametag/Chat Bubble Ring

•MVP Special Only Damage Skin
    Only thing i dont have

•Damage Skin Storage Scroll
    thoughtful inclusion

•MVP Special Cape [X/Shine Noblesse/Eternal Noblesse]
    more perm nx when i have to scroll 1 min in my cash shop

•MVP Medal [X/Born to be Gold (3 attack and magic attack, 3 all stats, 5 jump)/Born to be Diamond (5 attack and magic attack, 5 all stats, 500 HP and MP, 7 jump)]
    See any other medal

•MVP Diamond Only Hired Merchant [X/X/MVP Diamond Shop]
    Saves me 20$ a month? this would be great

•MVP Diamond Only Char [X/X/Glow Spell]
    OOOO more splashy perm for lag

Based on the MVP Special rank, they’ll receive Star Force enhancement cost discounts. 3% for Silver, 5% for Gold, and 10% for Diamond.
    MVP Specials will receive premium benefits in the Auction House, including no search limits, increase in buying/selling slots, usage of the advanced combo box search, increased auction duration, and a lowered tax.

Honestly this ease of use should be applied to all player not just mvp and the discounts should basically give us since whales spend so much
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited February 2017
    Whales gonna whale.
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    I'll quote as I stated on Reddit toward another user.
    A system such as MVP would work by updating whenever a purchase is made for efficiency. This means the least amount of server/network traffic for checks. Designing the system to naturally do checks which would be retroactive would mean more traffic per user, meaning higher CPU cost and possibility of lag/instability. The other option is to design a one-time check of all accounts whom made purchases in the last 3 months (or all accounts overall, if you want to go as impractical as MVP Bronze), which would extend the maintenance for the benefit of a fraction of the player base.

I'm not saying actions couldn't be done, nor that players making such investments don't deserve such rewards. I am only speaking to your point on there being "no reason for a fresh start." There are reasons for this. Granted I am speculating as much as you, but we can't jump on the bandwagon this easily. It's not like they personally designed exclusion prior to the given date. We can only argue something once we've considered both sides.

Additionally, when I think about MVP rewards being given out retroactively, I get the sense the purpose is defeated - especially if you include MVP Bronze. Of course that is subjective, and you might consider the purpose to be overall activity, but what bothers me is that we were not aware we'd have the system until last week. To be retroactive, immediately a sum of people would be at the top, without passing the tiers naturally. It just feels odd to me to "skip ahead" just because the system only just came out. Again, this paragraph just speaks to what feels odd to me, but I felt it valid to mention.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I'll quote as I stated on Reddit toward another user.
    A system such as MVP would work by updating whenever a purchase is made for efficiency. This means the least amount of server/network traffic for checks. Designing the system to naturally do checks which would be retroactive would mean more traffic per user, meaning higher CPU cost and possibility of lag/instability. The other option is to design a one-time check of all accounts whom made purchases in the last 3 months (or all accounts overall, if you want to go as impractical as MVP Bronze), which would extend the maintenance for the benefit of a fraction of the player base.

I'm not saying actions couldn't be done, nor that players making such investments don't deserve such rewards. I am only speaking to your point on there being "no reason for a fresh start." There are reasons for this. Granted I am speculating as much as you, but we can't jump on the bandwagon this easily. It's not like they personally designed exclusion prior to the given date. We can only argue something once we've considered both sides.

Additionally, when I think about MVP rewards being given out retroactively, I get the sense the purpose is defeated - especially if you include MVP Bronze. Of course that is subjective, and you might consider the purpose to be overall activity, but what bothers me is that we were not aware we'd have the system until last week. To be retroactive, immediately a sum of people would be at the top, without passing the tiers naturally. It just feels odd to me to "skip ahead" just because the system only just came out. Again, this paragraph just speaks to what feels odd to me, but I felt it valid to mention.

Top? What top? Is there a race? A hierarchy?
    All it would do is make people feel a little more appreciated. The rewards would expire soon anyway, if they don't keep buying NX, and those who do buy will "pass them" in this imaginary hierarchy.

All Nexon is gaining by this "fresh start" is making it clear right off the bat that their "gratitude" is ephemeral and their memory is as short as a spoiled brat's. Or a gold-digger. As someone else posted in that same thread you linked,
    Even if you spend a million dollars on NX in March, by June Nexon's going to be like, "Yes, but what have you done for me lately?"
    (Not that it's not clear from the details already posted, but not giving people even the slightest recognition for past purchases, a worthless Bronze rank, emphasizes this).

• CactrotCactrot
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Ah, how silly of me. I've noticed that Philo books were added on March 1st. It's pretty clear now what Nexon intended to do, and I'm deeply ashamed of them.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Cactrot wrote: »
    Ah, how silly of me. I've noticed that Philo books were added on March 1st. It's pretty clear now what Nexon intended to do, and I'm deeply ashamed of them.

I don't think that's related. People always buy heavily into Philosopher's Books and Marvel Machine. I doubt the lure of a temporary title is bigger than the lure of a Frenzy Totem.
  • CactrotCactrot
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

I don't think that's related. People always buy heavily into Philosopher's Books and Marvel Machine. I doubt the lure of a temporary title is bigger than the lure of a Frenzy Totem.

You're right about that, but it will probably be enough to squeeze a bit extra out of people who might call spending earlier in order to get the title. It's not like they don't have these sales planned in advance.

• SanctitySanctity
    Reactions: 410
    edited March 2017
    "Fresh start" doesn't even really make sense, and it makes even less sense as a "Thank you" :/
    All the money you spent in the past doesn't matter.
    Nexon will only thank you for the money you spend from now on.
    What a joke.
  • NakazatoJLNakazatoJL
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Sanctity wrote: »
    All the money you spent in the past doesn't matter.
    Nexon will only thank you for the money you spend from now on.
    What a joke.
    As I stated, it's more like "Buy more, thank you"

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited March 2017
    Id deduce that the system itself is the thank you and the rewards as underwhelming as some of you may see it. How exciting would it be if youre automatically a diamond tier mvp when the system just started? Maybe thats what the moderator was saying. Equal opportunity is what nexon is giving, if you can get to diamond tier, do it. You didnt complain about spending that much before there was a mention of these tiers, why complain now? The system doesnt affect the maple economy itself and thats the reward, only those that can reach diamond tier will get to see those perks. It's absurd to say you want to be diamond tier on the first day, it means youd no longer have to spend money and saying you still want the rewards. The equal chance is every will start at 0, spend if we want, and the outcome of the decision is whatll differ.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Id deduce that the system itself is the thank you and the rewards as underwhelming as some of you may see it. How exciting would it be if youre automatically a diamond tier mvp when the system just started? Maybe thats what the moderator was saying. Equal opportunity is what nexon is giving, if you can get to diamond tier, do it. You didnt complain about spending that much before there was a mention of these tiers, why complain now? The system doesnt affect the maple economy itself and thats the reward, only those that can reach diamond tier will get to see those perks. It's absurd to say you want to be diamond tier on the first day, it means youd no longer have to spend money and saying you still want the rewards. The equal chance is every will start at 0, spend if we want, and the outcome of the decision is whatll differ.

That's exactly what I said (in a slightly more sailor mouth) on Reddit. That's just my personal opinion, however.

I can say the feedback about the system starting on March 1st was forwarded along regardless of my opinion, though.
    edited March 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

That's exactly what I said (in a slightly more sailor mouth) on Reddit. That's just my personal opinion, however.

I can say the feedback about the system starting on March 1st was forwarded along regardless of my opinion, though.
    Ah my friend, i suppose i was translating sailor mouth to these young ones.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017

Getting it on the first day doesn't "means youd no longer have to spend money".
    All the rewards expire and your tier degrades if you don't spend any more.
    Getting it on the first day is a "thank you for your spending so far, and if you want to keep these benefits, keep spending." It's a far nicer way of saying, "spend more" than "all you did before now doesn't count, so start spending."
    JettLuvsUNakazatoJLCactrotKatzumi
    edited March 2017
    My advice would be if the rewards are considered mediocre, dont participate, pretend the system isnt there. If its just to be a diamond tier mvp, nexon already wins. If it's to have the rewards, then youll do it regardless of the obstacle. The system will be there if we want to use it, but by no means does it demand you to use it.
    JettLuvsU
  • ForumKousForumKous
    Reactions: 1,085
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, disgusting... The 'fresh start' doesn't make any sense to me.
    2Short2Post
  • NakazatoJLNakazatoJL
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    My advice would be if the rewards are considered mediocre, dont participate, pretend the system isnt there. If its just to be a diamond tier mvp, nexon already wins. If it's to have the rewards, then youll do it regardless of the obstacle. The system will be there if we want to use it, but by no means does it demand you to use it.

Thats what makes me less disappointed about it, you truly don't need it, hope it stays like that forever, but we know nexon will make a good work in the end as always
  • choozchooz
    Reactions: 1,815
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    They haven't done anything to deserve money in a long time, you think that we'll all start spending now because of some crap rewards?