[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.232 Blooming Forest Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Really Nexon? LOL

TroubleTrouble
Reactions: 920
Posts: 10
Member
edited March 2017 in General Chat
"Gambling is disruptive to the game environment".............................................. Then why do you promote it?
2eqfb09.jpg
TanyaKylehell007Dough

Comments

  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    Posts: 376
    Member
    edited March 2017
    lol this a real notice or fake?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,765
    Posts: 6,223
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    It's a real notice. I've seen it myself. And I think they also have another one about gambling being against the rules.
    The hypocrisy is through the roof.
    July
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    Posts: 337
    Member
    edited March 2017
    This was probably implemented because of the gambling bots in Scania and other active servers. Everyone should know by now that you can only game in the cash shop with legally purchased NX. Cmon guys this is old news
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,075
    Posts: 84
    Member
    edited March 2017
    This was probably implemented because of the gambling bots in Scania and other active servers. Everyone should know by now that you can only game in the cash shop with legally purchased NX. Cmon guys this is old news

    Pretty sure plenty of players know there are some illegal in-game 'gambling bots'. The main joke is here purchasing legit NX and using it in MapleStory is 'gambling' on it's own.
    OrigionalHenesys
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,540
    Posts: 596
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Probably just an old notice?
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    Posts: 123
    Member
    edited March 2017
    They added it after there was a big curfuffle about people losing valuable items in "drop games".
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    Posts: 91
    Member
    edited March 2017
    LMAO this is amazing. Gambling is bad guys, so you better not buy 90% of the things promoted in the cash shop
  • MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    Posts: 224
    Member
    edited March 2017
    While I do not condone Nexon's constant (albeit thinly indirect) sale of power, they are not technically gambling. To begin, all sales of NX eventually have some origin in some person paying real cash for it. The moment they buy it, the money is Nexon's. Not the moment you buy something in the cash shop, but when you buy the card/code itself.

    In addition, gambling is when you pay in money for a chance to win cash prizes. When it comes to how Nexon's smorgasbord of RNG-laden gachaponesque items function, it is not gambling. From a player pov, it can be perceived as gambling since we have an underground market that gives items a real world value.

    Technically, Nexon's fault here is the same as how Valve failed to predict gambling with CS:GO skins or TF2 items. While it took them by surprise, it was not their fault initially, but it's been years since this trend began. The fact they haven't done enough to control it is where I begin to take considerable offense.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,765
    Posts: 6,223
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    @MakazeKiba , yes, we know that Nexon has themselves covered, from the legal aspect, and all the rng crap in the game is not "gambling."
    But, by the same logic, "powerball" and "drop" games aren't gambling either, as long as they're for meso or in-game goods.

    In terms of the "player experience", however, it is all gambling.
  • wisfulwisful
    Reactions: 320
    Posts: 6
    Member
    edited March 2017

    MakazeKiba wrote: »
    ... In addition, gambling is when you pay in money for a chance to win cash prizes....

    So you are saying that buying NX is worst than gambling since you have no chance of winning cash prizes??

    Lets be honest, is it really ok to expect people spend $900/month on a game? That's what you need to spend to obtain Diamond status on the new MVP system...

  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    Posts: 376
    Member
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    It's a real notice. I've seen it myself. And I think they also have another one about gambling being against the rules.
    The hypocrisy is through the roof.

    gosh lol.. like.. Marvel machine.. comeon..
    I'm sure Nexon NA in a gray zone. funny that this game not tagged for 18+ or whatever the legal age for gambling in America.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    Posts: 1,213
    Member
    edited March 2017
    wisful wrote: »
    MakazeKiba wrote: »
    ... In addition, gambling is when you pay in money for a chance to win cash prizes....

    So you are saying that buying NX is worst than gambling since you have no chance of winning cash prizes??

    Lets be honest, is it really ok to expect people spend $900/month on a game? That's what you need to spend to obtain Diamond status on the new MVP system...
    the MVP system beyond bronze is not for you to work towards getting said prizes, it's extra for those who already spend that much in any given month.

    they do not expect me or you to spend $900 a month for maintaining MVP diamond, it's for those that already spend $900+ a month (and you and I both know these players do exist)
  • slick74011slick74011
    Reactions: 100
    Posts: 5
    Member
    edited March 2017
    I feel that while the whole gambling aspect is not what they are after i feel they are tired of other people profiting off of their game when all they want is more money. maybe that would happen if they could keep the servers online
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    Posts: 322
    Member
    edited March 2017
    I think the legal trouble comes when you spend money for the chance at gaining something with also the chance of getting absolutely nothing. Not sure how that works in MMOs, but with NX you always get something when you spend NX currency, be it for better or worse.
    slick74011
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,075
    Posts: 84
    Member
    edited March 2017
    MakazeKiba wrote: »
    While I do not condone Nexon's constant (albeit thinly indirect) sale of power, they are not technically gambling. To begin, all sales of NX eventually have some origin in some person paying real cash for it. The moment they buy it, the money is Nexon's. Not the moment you buy something in the cash shop, but when you buy the card/code itself.

    In addition, gambling is when you pay in money for a chance to win cash prizes. When it comes to how Nexon's smorgasbord of RNG-laden gachaponesque items function, it is not gambling. From a player pov, it can be perceived as gambling since we have an underground market that gives items a real world value.

    Technically, Nexon's fault here is the same as how Valve failed to predict gambling with CS:GO skins or TF2 items. While it took them by surprise, it was not their fault initially, but it's been years since this trend began. The fact they haven't done enough to control it is where I begin to take considerable offense.

    The NX Codes (Karma Koins) are indeed not 'gambling' but the purpose it is used for is certainly 'gambling'. Nowadays gambling is more than just casino and lottery. The law still need to be adjusted. If you think about it, compare today with 20 years ago, so much has changed (not only in the gambling world but many other stuff too) but the law is still outdated.

    A lot of things got expanded thanks to the internet.

    Customer buy Karma Koin with money > use it on Cash Shop items in MapleStory
    Customer buy tokens in Casino with money > use it to play some games in casinos

    In the above example we are 'exchanging' our money into NX Codes / Tokens in order to use it in MapleStory / Casinos.
    And going by your logic both are technically not 'gambling', but from the customers view it is considered gambling.

    Edit: Although the difference is that you can still exchange your tokens for money in casinos and while you cannot do that with virtual currency.
    Tanya
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,765
    Posts: 6,223
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Anything wrote: »
    The NX Codes (Karma Koins) are indeed not 'gambling' but the purpose it is used for is certainly 'gambling'. Nowadays gambling is more than just casino and lottery. A lot of rules still need to be adjusted. If you think about it, compare today with 20 years ago, so much has changed but some of the rules are still outdated and thus limited.

    A lot of things got expanded thanks to the internet.

    Customer buy Karma Koin with money > use it on Cash Shop items in MapleStory
    Customer buy tokens in Casino with money > use it to play some games in casinos

    In the above example we have to convert our money into NX Codes / Tokens in order to use it in MapleStory / Casinos.

    The difference is that in the casino, you can convert your tokens back to dollars when you leave. That makes them "cash equivalent" in the eyes of the law, and therefore wagering with them is gambling, and the authorities keep a close eye on it.

    NX, on the other hand, is strictly in-game currency, and there is no way to turn it back to dollars. It's the same, in the eyes of the law, as monopoly money. The authorities don't care what happens to it. Nevermind gambling; did you know that if you don't touch your NX for a year, Nexon wipes your balance? This would obviously be completely illegal if NX were considered "money" in the eyes of the law.
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,075
    Posts: 84
    Member
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Anything wrote: »
    The NX Codes (Karma Koins) are indeed not 'gambling' but the purpose it is used for is certainly 'gambling'. Nowadays gambling is more than just casino and lottery. A lot of rules still need to be adjusted. If you think about it, compare today with 20 years ago, so much has changed but some of the rules are still outdated and thus limited.

    A lot of things got expanded thanks to the internet.

    Customer buy Karma Koin with money > use it on Cash Shop items in MapleStory
    Customer buy tokens in Casino with money > use it to play some games in casinos

    In the above example we have to convert our money into NX Codes / Tokens in order to use it in MapleStory / Casinos.

    The difference is that in the casino, you can convert your tokens back to dollars when you leave. That makes them "cash equivalent" in the eyes of the law, and therefore wagering with them is gambling, and the authorities keep a close eye on it.

    NX, on the other hand, is strictly in-game currency, and there is no way to turn it back to dollars. It's the same, in the eyes of the law, as monopoly money. The authorities don't care what happens to it. Nevermind gambling; did you know that if you don't touch your NX for a year, Nexon wipes your balance? This would obviously be completely illegal if NX were considered "money" in the eyes of the law.

    Ah ya, forgot on that part, you can exchange it back into money. Sorry. Okay, the begin part remains the same, just there is no return for in-game currency.
    And exactly what you said about 'in the eyes of the law', and that's what I meant it's outdated for nowadays with the internet.

    And yes I know about the NX that will expire if you didn't touch it for a year. Some of my amount expired. Thanks for providing the details I was missing.
  • BladeSusanooBladeSusanoo
    Reactions: 810
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited March 2017
    In Korea in game gambling is illegal.
    But as long as you get something, apparently it's not gambling.
  • OrigionalHenesysOrigionalHenesys
    Reactions: 400
    Posts: 9
    Member
    edited March 2017
    you have to gamble on the fact that you dont know if the $50 you spent is going to give you $50 worth of mesos nexon knows how this works and what we do in-game who are we kidding. they profit from our unfortunate bad luck sprees so why the crap would they care if we care we obviously enjoy doing so
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    Posts: 243
    Member
    edited March 2017
    It is not gambling because there no risk of loss. When at a department store, the toy section has blindbag toys. You pay a few dollars and open the package. Might be Fluttershy.. Could be a rare clear Rarity figure. Same thing with marvel machine, gatchapon,and cubes. You pay for a random item or effect.