[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Free up inactive names?

MrHellbannMrHellbann
Reactions: 780
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I was wondering if the inactive names in the game could be changed so that other players can use them. Im having trouble finding a ign because it's all been taken.

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited March 2017
    IIRC they are doing name wipes. IIRC they added a system over a year ago that will wipe your accounts names if it's inactive for a certain period of time and replace the names with a random string of numbers.

perhaps you need a little more uniqueness in the names you want to use
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    We just did that, though.
    If you want to blame someone, blame the people that made accounts filled with mules hogging names.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    They already did a name wipe like a year ago. The reason why you don't get any "good" names now is because people are hoarding them after they got freed up, usually with the intent to sell for USD.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    IIRC they are doing name wipes. IIRC they added a system over a year ago that will wipe your accounts names if it's inactive for a certain period of time and replace the names with a random string of numbers.

There is no "system". There was the one wipe a year and a half ago. CM Artasi said then that they were thinking of making it a yearly thing, but I don't think anything came of it.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Catooolooo wrote: »

There is no "system". There was the one wipe a year and a half ago. CM Artasi said then that they were thinking of making it a yearly thing, but I don't think anything came of it.
    ah, I see, I guess nothing came of that talk of making a system to remove names after a certain period of being inactive.
  • JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    You could try this:
    - Make a list of 5 words/names
    - Use a number generator to generate a number between
    1 and the number of letters of the longest word X2
    (ex: if longest word has 7 letters, enter 1 - 14 )
    - Take the Xth letter from each word/name till you
    however many letters you want for your ign

If you get something bad just keep going.
    I did this for one of my links and got Cuvoa.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited March 2017
    I am not into 5 letter IGNs, but rather funny ones.

A list of the coolest names I snagged are:

-2fort (TF2)
    -Gazerbeam (Incredibles)
    -Urinating
    -Weasely (Harry Potter)
    -Viagara
    -Caviar
    -Chachamaru (Negima)
    -Chachazero (Negima)
    -Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)
    -Hobson (Yugioh)

BrianSensei
  • BrianSenseiBrianSensei
    Reactions: 610
    edited March 2017
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    I am not into 5 letter IGNs, but rather funny ones.

A list of the coolest names I snagged are:

-2fort (TF2)
    -Gazerbeam (Incredibles)
    -Urinating
    -Weasely (Harry Potter)
    -Viagara
    -Caviar
    -Chachamaru (Negima)
    -Chachazero (Negima)
    -Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)
    -Hobson (Yugioh)

Cool, i got "PirosThe3rd" on a Kaiser. Planing on playing it when the game gets a bit more stable HAHA!
  • MrHellbannMrHellbann
    edited March 2017
    Would like to hear what the new cm says about it
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited March 2017
    I think this is a great idea. Especially since it was mentioned in the past to make it a yearly thing. Also, the hackers/botters really ruin it by creating igns that will possibly get banned. But I don't think they reset banned IGNs so idk how that would work.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I think this is a great idea. Especially since it was mentioned in the past to make it a yearly thing. Also, the hackers/botters really ruin it by creating igns that will possibly get banned. But I don't think they reset banned IGNs so idk how that would work.

Actually they don't.
    This was a big issue with the cleaning they did do: banned accounts did not have their IGNs released.
    If we still had access to the old forums I could dig up the exact rationale Artasi gave, but from what I recall it had something to do with not getting legits mistaken for hackers.
    JettLuvsUBrianSenseiShippou
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017

Actually they don't.
    This was a big issue with the cleaning they did do: banned accounts did not have their IGNs released.
    If we still had access to the old forums I could dig up the exact rationale Artasi gave, but from what I recall it had something to do with not getting legits mistaken for hackers.

That's exactly why.
    We don't need a 000f running around again.
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited March 2017
    LittleTLK wrote: »

Actually they don't.

That's exactly why.

Yeah but eventually it'll become an issue... it's not like new words are invented everyday. And eventually new players will be forced to make IGNs like this
    xx420<insert desired ign here>420xx
    JettLuvsU
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017

Aren't there still banned accounts with non-gibberish (and decent) IGNs though?

Been wondering - if an IGN is taken in game but doesn't show up in rankings, does that mean it's on a banned account? Cuz I've seen a few names that I've wanted that were like that lol.

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Fennekin wrote: »

Been wondering - if an IGN is taken in game but doesn't show up in rankings, does that mean it's on a banned account? Cuz I've seen a few names that I've wanted that were like that lol.

It usually means that the character with the name is too low to show up on ranks (aka hoarders). But yes it can mean they're on a banned account too.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    Fennekin wrote: »

It usually means that the character with the name is too low to show up on ranks (aka hoarders). But yes it can mean they're on a banned account too.
    Don't lvl 1's still show up on ranks though? I have a few, and they're showing up on ranks. All placed right next to each other, conveniently lol.
    JettLuvsU
  • MrHellbannMrHellbann
    edited March 2017
    Waiting for this to be implemented