[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why Maplestory?

HazHaz
Reactions: 100
edited March 2017 in General Chat
Hello peoples, I was just wondering if some of you can answer some of my questions because this is an old game and yet I still see it being kind of active.

Firstly, why do you play Maplestory rather than other games and what is it about this game that makes you keep playing?

Secondly, Do you like the art style?

Thirdly, How would you Improve the game?

Fourthly, How does this game make money and are you happy with how they monetize? Have you spent money on the game?

Fifthly, If they release more content would you play? Also, If a game similar to it is released would you try it?

Lastly, What are your thoughts on the balance of the game, the PVP, PVE content, questing, and any other thoughts?

Comments

• AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited March 2017
    Haz wrote: »
    Firstly, why do you play Maplestory rather than other games and what is it about this game that makes you keep playing?

Because once you spend at least $1 on a gambling item and feel as if you didn't get your money's worth, you have a tendency to keep spending money until you get even (which of course, never happens).

Secondly (first question follow-up), I played it because at the time their motto was along the lines of bringing adults and kids together into an mmorpg and it did up to a certain point.

2nd: I like the art style but hate the 2d skeleton thing, seems to add lag and I hate that Nexon doesn't finish something they start (they stopped using the 2d skeleton system, didn't add voices to Phantom or Shade yet but did for the other 4 heroes, etc.

3rd: Redirect funding that goes into profit into enhancing the gameplay experience and hiring more employees that know what they're doing.

4th: Game definitely makes money on gambling items or "chance" items as some ignorant people like to call it.

5th: Depends what level they add the content as. We really need more content focused around where leveling is tough and streamlined towards 1 area such as -every starforce map-, arcane river (pre-nerf), 180-190, and they should put more work into their content (kerning square revamp looked as if they put all the budget into creating the sprites instead of building a decent story, it could literally be finished within an hour). Though I think they should stop using time as a filler for content (like waiting 18 hours to advance to 5th job). Maplestory really needs a larger progressive feel to it beyond 180, after I reach that point I'm bout near blowing my brains out (not literally) and start a new character. Also, La Tale and a few other games exist like this. Neither of them are fun like Maplestory was/is (at times).

6th: I think PVP was the worst idea implemented through physically fighting other characters. I would not recommend they try bringing that back anytime soon. PvE on the otherhand is great for a game like maplestory. Should really have more questing (via content) implemented beyond level 180. The higher level you are, the less content there is, as well as less progression, and the more empty the game begins to feel.
    Haz
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited March 2017
    1st: Nostalgia, Stockholm syndrome and being conditioned to a skinner box. Also I really like the core concept of the game.

2nd: It's all right, it's fairly unique witch is a plus.

3rd:
    * By fixing all the broken stuff (there's a whole lot of broken stuff)
    * Making the client better on a technical level (such as giving us more thank three resolution options, making the game perfrom better)
    * Fixing all Nexon's server side stuff
    * Giving the game some mechanical depth
    Also there's a bunch of more things that I'd change but I feel like explaining them would require going into too much detail.

4th: As far as I know, the primary way Nexon makes money off of this game are items used to re-roll certain stats on items, and "mystery box" type of items that can give some quite powrful items that can be only obtained from those boxes.

5th: Depends if the content is any fun or worth doing. If there was another game like this, I would likely at least try it out.

6th:
    * Balance: The power difference between rich and poor players is fairly staggering. I am not too sure about class balance, other that that there is at least one class that is pretty much worthless.
    * PVP: There used to be PVP and it was very unbalanced. It has since been removed.
    * PVE content and quests: I would argue that in the current state of the game most of the content is not worth doing. There are some high lights here and there, but most of the stuff is fairly bland.
    * Other thoughts: I would recommend trying the game out. However, I would not recommend spending any money on it untill you are absolutely sure you want to. Even then I would recommend only buying convinience items, such as a pet that picks items up for you. Also don't be afraid to ask any questions from people, there are many mechanics and pieces of content that are poorly explained.
    Haz
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    I like the style, the 2-D side scrolling and the relaxing gameplay. I like that I can relax at home and casually kill some monsters while watching Netflix after a busy day of work. Also I started playing over 8 years ago and have invested a lot of time into the account, back when I didn't work as much. Its a lot harder for me to get in to a new MMO now that I don't have hours and hours to spend building it up, and much easier to just contribute to my existing maplestory account, which I enjoy.

The art style is adorable :) The style of this game is what drew me in - I love the charming designs and monsters.

Stability. If I were a new player trying out this game and experienced this much crashing and lag, I would try a different game and forget about this one. Yes it is charming, but if you haven't played it for years and experienced the good parts of it, you have less reason to fight through the constant client crashes.
    I would also improve the botting and hacking situation we have here, it is really out of control. There are more things, but these are my top two that I would fix first.

Fourthly, How does this game make money and are you happy with how they monetize? Have you spent money on the game?
    Through the cash shop, NX wearable item covers & random chance items that improve your characters stats and give you an edge over characters who don't buy from the cash shop. I am okay with them monetizing through NX wearables, but not the P2W aspect of the cash shop. Yes, I have spent money on the game.

Fifthly, If they release more content would you play? Also, If a game similar to it is released would you try it?
    Yes, I would still play if they released more content. I don't know if I would try a new game similar to maplestory. There isn't much reason for me to search for another game like this when I have this one.

Lastly, What are your thoughts on the balance of the game, the PVP, PVE content, questing, and any other thoughts?
    I wouldn't say this is a very balanced game as there is a large division between people who spend money on NX and those who do not - and an even larger division if you bring people who benefit from botters into the mix. I like that there is no PVP. Quests are sometimes okay (the new Chu Chu quest line was nice) but the rewards for many quests don't seem scaled to the game, making them easily skipped content - as people can get more exp and rewards through regular hunting.
    HazBahamut_X
  • HazHaz
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the responses!

AznboiE wrote: »
    4th: Game definitely makes money on gambling items or "chance" items as some ignorant people like to call it.
    Do you mind that they make money like this? Is there a better way to monetize?

SlicedTime wrote: »
    Also I really like the core concept of the game.
    Whats the core concept?

Tanya wrote: »
    I am okay with them monetizing through NX wearables, but not the P2W aspect of the cash shop. Yes, I have spent money on the game.
    Do you think they would make more money if they removed the P2W? would u spend more?

There isn't much reason for me to search for another game like this when I have this one.
    So if I make one you wouldn't try it. :...(

• GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Hello peoples, I was just wondering if some of you can answer some of my questions because this is an old game and yet I still see it being kind of active.

1A) I play a lot of my games equally honestly, I only play Maple maybe 2 or 3 more hours on top of my current line-up of games I play.

1B) What keeps me playing is nostalgia and intrigue to see what is to come. I also enjoy the simplicity of the game and its appealing aesthetics.

2) As answered in 1B, I do.

3) That would depend on my role. Roles can only do so much to improve the game. As it stands, I can just support by logging in and playing the game =D

4A) The game makes money by the cash shop.

4B) It is working for them so I support that (=

4C) I have in the past, now for the future I might again when I see a perm item I like on sale.

5A) Yes

5B) Yes

6A) The balancing is frequently adjusted so as it stands it is improving incrementally.

6B) No pvp yet. There used to be though and one day I hope it returns.

6C) The PVE is very good in my opinion.

6D) Tons of quests, though some are outdated and can be updated to better suit the needs of on-going future updates to the game.

6E) Needs more GM interaction and discussion on how to protect the integrity of the product. This is an enjoyable game and I will play it until its (or my) final day =D

Whoops I got a little to wordy. Hope this helps =D
    Haz
  • HazHaz
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Glirotus it helps alot. :)
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited March 2017

MapleStory is the first online computer game, and MMO that I've played. What makes me keep playing is the sheer fact of updates, nostalgia, and the amount of time I've spent on this game. It's almost quite literally my most played game and most likely the one, if not a several small others I would get back to.

The chibi huge head small body might throw a bit of people off, but I would say it has been decent if not good for it's time. Constant improvements such as the new graphics used for Kinesis, Urus, Korean Folk Town, and Zakum showcases the progress of overall good expansions.
    There are MANY things I can say that needs improvement for this game.

First off is Customer Support dealing with technical issues and hackers. A lot of it is generally hit or miss at poorly inconsistent levels.

Second off is patching hacks and exploits. There have been tons of hacks that get updated on the fly due to a high possibility of "band-aid" coding. I honestly believe content needs to be tested and revised in order to fix things along with avoiding the possibility of it making to the main servers. Again, a lot of it is generally hit or miss at poorly inconsistent levels.

Third is the suggestions, feedback, and impressions. That part of the forum is one of the several graveyards that feels like they're just there so players can comment and only feel like they can push to make a difference for the game. If there ever is a change it can take months if not years before something is done regardless of it's project size. Some suggestions such as revamping Crusaders Codex, or adding Nebulite Fusion Tickets and Bonus Potential Cubes should not have taken this long to be considered. It has more likely been shoved under the rug after one forwarding it that "they'll look into it" which is generally the most common phrase of any Nexon Staff or Volunteer.

This game has potential for any region. It's still quite successful in Korea. But in order for it to survive in other regions, it needs to be re-arranged accordingly. With the poor response from Nexon for GMS simply shows the general disgust or negative posts from players. Whether it be the official Forums, BasilMarket, Southperry, and even /r/MapleStory.

I mean the job for Nexon to change gears and see the players point-of-view isn't easy. But they have to consider the fact that we've most likely played the game more than them and turning their backs on us will hurt their profits in the long run. Cutting down negativity by trying to cater to the players can possibly end up for us to becoming customers by buying NX to support the game due to the effort of change.

But change for good that's GMS exclusive is hard to find. Again, a lot of it is generally hit or miss which obviously needs to be changed. We're human and expected to be treated like one, and if so there'll be a mutual response for players towards Nexon.
    This game prays on the sales of limited duration items, one time use, and randomly generated rewards. I'm not happy with how they monetize because it feels a lot more of a rip-off due to the rates of items and the items themselves. If they catered to the region accordingly I can bet they would have made much more revenue in the long run.

Some good examples would be instead of limited duration items or praying on Premium Surprise Style Boxes how about more permanent packages? This would reduce the strain of people wanting certain items and possibly balancing out the spending per player, instead of one person dumping hundreds if not thousands of dollars for Potential, Cosmetics, or items.

I'm not entirely sure on the total of MapleStory, but for Nexon I have spent around $3,000 - $4,000 within the span of 13-14 years.
    It honestly depends on the worth of the content. If there's a story line I would most likely do at least one play-through for the lore.

But for the modern Maple it revolves around power-creep. I focus everyday on upgrading my gears so maybe one day I'll be able to fight certain harder bosses. The problem with existing content is that there isn't a proper ladder in order to advance in power. Throwing in "chance" is one of the biggest issues between a good equipment upgrade, versus a bad one or it being destroyed. There needs to be a barrier from destruction or a way to increase success rate as a free player.

For Non-Reboot the trade market is a solution but a dangerous one due to it being run by hackers and merchants for extremely high prices. This increases the chances of a player buying from the Black Market with a transaction higher than max mesos and most likely Real Money Trade, which is against the terms that people have agreed to upon registering an account.

As I've said before, content needs to be revised according. This includes region specifications in order to satisfy those players.

The balance of the game is a bit nuts. Compare the monster difficulty and boss scaling and you'll understand completely how utterly ridiculous the gap is. This is also the reason why PVP was removed. If they can't handle PVE balances, how in the world would it be possible for PVP? It just doesn't work.

Questing feels a bit outdated for certain quests. When you can train, get more exp and rewards at that current level instead of a quest it ultimately defeats the purpose of a quest. It's suppose to feel rewarding which is why they exist in many games in the first place.

My other thoughts, if I typed everything out I would exceed the limit of posting. All I will say is this is just the tip of an ice berg. MapleStory can be better, but there are several barriers from achieving a great feat.

Haz
  • OneOne
    Reactions: 1,485
    edited March 2017
    1. Only the social aspect appeals to me
    2. Game is good, it's just that it's managed poorly.
    3. Same as 2. Nexon America needs to realize that we're not Korean and also need to do something about the unethical practice (eg: customer support requested for government issued ID and promised to delete it after reviewing it. Instead of deleting it, they stored/kept it and refused to delete even after I requested for it to be deleted.)
    4.Game makes money by getting a few people spend a lot instead of getting a lot of people to spend a little.
    No, any game company that loses $42million a year raises a lot of questions.

6. They give out permanent bans far too recklessly. Consider the case of the lv 250 kaiser that was incredibly funded.
    If s/he was truly guilty, s/he would probably quit the game completely or continue exploiting on a new account.
    If s/he was not guilty, s/he would probably quit the game completely or explore cheating the game now that s/he has nothing to lose.

The game doesn't benefit at all from these types of bans.
    Permanent bans should only be reserved for when the balance of the game is disrupted if the account isn't banned (eg: possession of stuff that can't be deleted for whatever reasons, level, stats,...etc)

Haz
  • HazHaz
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guys :)

anyone else on the forum? :P
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guys :)

anyone else on the forum? :P

Try asking on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/)
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited March 2017
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    Also I really like the core concept of the game.
    Whats the core concept?

I think at its core the game is a 2D character action MMORPG. To my knowledge there aren't too many games like this.

• nenenenenenenenenene
    Reactions: 1,095
    edited March 2017
    There isn't much reason for me to search for another game like this when I have this one.
    So if I make one you wouldn't try it. :...(

LOL Only if you can make one better....

(oh well, 5 days is not necro.. right ?)