[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[QoL] [Poll] Link Skill Revamp

SparkzSparkz
Reactions: 1,070
edited October 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Suggestion: Make link skills global per world. Remove the 12 link skills limit.
  1. Link Skills17 votes
    1. Link Skills should be less restrictive
       88% (15 votes)
    2. Link Skills should remain as is.
       12% (2 votes)

Comments

• thrakkesthrakkes
    Reactions: 2,135
    edited October 2016
    I agree to remove limit.
  • SpectralRyderSpectralRyder
    Reactions: 1,030
    edited October 2016
    honestly, there shouldn't have been a limit in the first place, it just makes a lot of link skills useless over others and makes certain classes that are already weakened to oblivion absolutely useless to even consider playing, due to the fact that there's actually 13-14 useful link skills out of the 18 total we have now...
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2016
    KMS has plans to up the link skill limit

https://orangemushroom.net/2016/03/20/maplestory-user-discussion-5th-job-confirmed-for-2016/
    • There are plans to increase the maximum Link Skill limit.
    • Users asked if there are any plans to make it easier to move around Link Skills.
      • The developers replied that they do want to improve on it but if certain limits were removed, then they worry that Link Skills and Character Cards would overlap/be redundant. They are open to increasing the ‘1 per day’ limit though.
  • FawkoFawko
    Reactions: 2,360
    edited October 2016
    Hopefully they do make it easier to link them instead of logging on 16 characters
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

https://orangemushroom.net/2016/03/20/maplestory-user-discussion-5th-job-confirmed-for-2016/
    • Users asked if there are any plans to make it easier to move around Link Skills.
      • The developers replied that they do want to improve on it but if certain limits were removed, then they worry that Link Skills and Character Cards would overlap/be redundant. They are open to increasing the ‘1 per day’ limit though.
    when did you get volunteer?

• forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited October 2016
    Nexon should definitely increase the number of slots one can have for link skills. As well as making it easier to swap the skills around without having to relog 12+ times. It would also encourage maplers to play different classes.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2016
    Daxterbeer

Neospector

KThxBaiNao messaged me on Reddit a few days before the new forums went live. I signed and sent back the required forms on the 20th.

It's not really that different, except now I'm part of a discord channel where MegaScience, iyKagome, and Invulgo poke some of the QA team and occasionally chat. It's got octopus emojis.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

Daxterbeer

Neospector

KThxBaiNao messaged me on Reddit a few days before the new forums went live. I signed and sent back the required forms on the 20th.

It's not really that different, except now I'm part of a discord channel where MegaScience, iyKagome, and Invulgo poke some of the QA team and occasionally chat. It's got octopus emojis.
    I miss doing MLC work T_T

• gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

The only thing with this is that KMS has fewer link skills than we do because they don't have the non KMS classes (duh!), so I'm scared they will increase the limit to be enough for all KMS link skills, which would still leave us 4(?) slots short of being able to use all of the link skills we get in GMS. Which in the end doesn't really accomplish the goal of the project.

As to them saying that they don't want the system to be "redundant" with character cards.................. seriously? Because, you know, Bonus potential isn't redundant with regular potential? Enhancing isn't redundant with scrolling? AO aren't redundant with potential? Set effects aren't redundant with equipment stats? This has got to be the worst copout argument I have seen from them recently as an excuse to not implement a QoL change.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

This was in March and spoke of the upcoming 5th job update. It's October now, the V update is over and done with, and they didn't increase the Link Skill limit. I think it's safe to say that part of the plan was scrapped.

GMS has 4 link skills more than KMS, so our limit, if we have to have one at all, should be at least 2 higher.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Neospector

This was in March and spoke of the upcoming 5th job update. It's October now, the V update is over and done with, and they didn't increase the Link Skill limit. I think it's safe to say that part of the plan was scrapped.

GMS has 4 link skills more than KMS, so our limit, if we have to have one at all, should be at least 2 higher.
    And they only just now implemented some better rewards for Ursus here (also hard Von Leon, which suggests they're leaning towards revamping him). 5th job was a huge update and covered a lot of stuff. Just because your thing wasn't covered immediately doesn't mean it was scrapped.

Honestly I think link skills get way too much of a main focus anyway. They were designed to be incentive to try out new classes, not dump power onto whatever flavor-of-the-month class you're on now.
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

Honestly I think link skills get way too much of a main focus anyway. They were designed to be incentive to try out new classes, not dump power onto whatever flavor-of-the-month class you're on now.
    I think you have that backwards. The ones who get lured away from their previous "main" by "trying out new classes" are the ones playing "flavor of the month" classes. The ones who make characters just for link skills and then abandon them do not bandwagon.

Personally I'd be happy if the entire concept of link skills were scrapped. Maybe replaced with a quest that you do on the same character you want the buff on. I don't like being forced to play side-characters to make my main stronger, I want to play my main all the time. I happen to like it.

However, if we're forced to make these link skills, at least let us use them. The 12-skill limit makes it necessary for Nexon to give each new class a stronger link skill than the last, or people won't bother to make it. Power creep. If we could have all the link skills at the same time, then people would make a new class even if its link skill is mediocre, because, hey, free damage.
    gamechanger
  • SparkzSparkz
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

Agreed