[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How to get rid of botters

QuickDrawerQuickDrawer
Reactions: 1,750
edited March 2017 in General Chat
Clickbaited!! XD

Comments

• MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited March 2017
    gr8 thread m8
  • QuickDrawerQuickDrawer
    edited March 2017
    thanks lol
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Oh, right, we still haven't gotten the "preview tooltip" feature that the old forums had (and we asked for as soon as we moved), which enabled one to see the first line of a thread by hovering one's cursor on the title.
    I don't see it on the Vindictus forums either, so I'm guessing it just isn't happening.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2017
    Shitposting won't get rid of the botters. The only thing that will actually get rid of them is to make the meso-income to cost-of-ban ratio no longer profitable. Shifting the game to a subscription-based model will likely do the job.

Never mind that if this game moved to a monthly subscription fee to play, it'd die faster than you can say "wot in recurring monthly subscription?" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    JettLuvsUQuickDrawerDaisukeHarutoNyaraforumsareannoying
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Shitposting won't get rid of the botters. ¯
    Neither will nexon unless you can come up with a way to demonstrate that it makes them money.

DaisukeHarutoNyara
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    JushiroNet wrote: »
    Shitposting won't get rid of the botters. ¯
    Neither will nexon unless you can come up with a way to demonstrate that it makes them money.

The only way you're going to get rid of the botters for good is if you make it unprofitable for them, or if the game dies enough that there is no longer a profit to be made. Whichever comes first, really.

We all know the sites they use, we all know that maple is far from the only game they do this in. Even making maple pay-to-play wouldn't get rid of them. Account bans are already proven beyond all doubt to be ineffective, because it's likely an automated process from end to end. IP bans are pointless due to how widespread VPNs have become in recent years, so it's a trivial matter to simply spoof one's IP address and circumvent the ban. Same can be said for regional blocks, we all know how effective those are.

I suppose hardware bans are a possibility, but with how... inconsistent bans have proven to be, and support being inconsistent on working with people who were falsely banned, I wouldn't even consider it.
  • NyaraNyara
    Reactions: 665
    edited March 2017
    Nexon is never going to control botting more than they do already at all. That would require a different policy making and higher staff involved in patrolling that Nexon has not done literally in a decade, and easily it will take another decade before they even think about tackling it harder. Personally I just report botters and others cheaters in the game and I just hope for the best.
  • QuickDrawerQuickDrawer
    edited March 2017
    pls don't ruin the clickbait lol
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    How many more illegitimate 250s does it take for nexon to care again? It never used to be this bad.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited March 2017
    Greetings, guys!

If you do come across a hacker in-game, please create a ticket to our CS team.
    From there, they will investigate the reported account before taking action to ensure the reported player is a hacker.

Over thousands of hackers are banned every week.
    I'm talking 8,000+

Again, if you see a person using illegitimate programs in game, please don't hesitate to report them.

Arwoooo~
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited March 2017
    Maryse wrote: »
    gr8 thread m8

Best threads m8 :^).
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited March 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    If you do come across a hacker in-game, please create a ticket to our CS team.
    From there, they will investigate the reported account before taking action to ensure the reported player is a hacker.

When I create a ticket do I need to attach any videos or just the names of the people?
  • RikNLRikNL
    Reactions: 2,605
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    in Luna, Just check Henesys, Ardentmill, Henesys Market and Free Market Entrance channel 1 on a hourly base and they all will be gone. Just like the spammers were in EMS. If I forgot a map please mention it.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I'm talking 8,000+

When you gather that information, do you count by number of accounts banned or by amount of characters on those accounts. I know the perma-ban lists we used to get listed several characters on the same account so it looked like more people got banned, while it was really only one person taking up a whole paragraph of names listed. Some times people who hadn't been banned at all were on those lists too.

Also, do you count temporary bans or only permanent ones in those 8k. I haven't actually counted, but I don't believe that even the names on the wildly inaccurate permaban-lists we got amounted to 8k per week.
    I'm just very curious about the actual statistics.
    JettLuvsU
  • BunnyWriterBunnyWriter
    Reactions: 1,485
    edited March 2017
    Again, if you see a person using illegitimate programs in game, please don't hesitate to report them.
    Arwoooo~

2qs2m3s.jpg

They ended up 230+ at that spot
    nevert saw them banned either
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2017
    Arwoooo~

2qs2m3s.jpg

They ended up 230+ at that spot
    nevert saw them banned either

And then you have this sort of thing becoming an almost daily occurrence.
    1nPtUSA.png
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited March 2017
    a few months ago i told a GM one method to efectively stop the botting and hacking but he only said

"i know where you coming from and ill bring that suggestion to the team" i wonder if the GM that said that even forwarded it to begin with

am not going to say anything else about it in the forums cause hackers and botting developers are just ahead most of the time trying to find out if their tools still work properly

how ironic they are way more commited to their stuff than some people around here...

• ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited March 2017
    Okhura wrote: »
    When I create a ticket do I need to attach any videos or just the names of the people?

Evidence provided in the ticket would assist our team with their investigations.
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    I'm talking 8,000+

When you gather that information, do you count by number of accounts banned or by amount of characters on those accounts. I know the perma-ban lists we used to get listed several characters on the same account so it looked like more people got banned, while it was really only one person taking up a whole paragraph of names listed. Some times people who hadn't been banned at all were on those lists too.

Also, do you count temporary bans or only permanent ones in those 8k. I haven't actually counted, but I don't believe that even the names on the wildly inaccurate permaban-lists we got amounted to 8k per week.

The list you're referring to would only show accounts that have been permanently banned. When a single character in an account is banned, the entirety of the account would be banned as well. This means all characters that existed on the account would be banned.

I'd highly recommend players to submit a ticket if you have evidence such as:
    1nPtUSA.png

The community team cannot ban in-game accounts or characters.

Thank you,

Arwoooo~
  • ChukkiChukki
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited March 2017
    @Arwoo

How many people can ban then?

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    I'm talking 8,000+

The list you're referring to would only show accounts that have been permanently banned. When a single character in an account is banned, the entirety of the account would be banned as well. This means all characters that existed on the account would be banned.

Yes, but what I mean is are those 8,000+ the amount of banned characters, or the amount of banned accounts? And do those 8k then include temporary bans?
    The lists that were made public to us weekly showed IGNs of banned characters, even if they were on the same banned account, so the number of "permanently banned players" looked a lot larger than they actually were.

What I wanna know is are those 8,000+ hackers you speak of individual accounts, or the amount of characters that were present on those accounts?
    Say each hacker-account had 40 characters on them, that'd mean only 200 accounts were banned, so only 200 account owners (or someone with several accounts), ie "hackers" as we see them individually.

I'm asking if that's also how you came to reach the 8,000+ figure, or if 8,000+ accounts are actually banned every week?

(Disclaimer: not trying to incite argument, just wanna know how the statistics are counted for clarity)