[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Spamming potions is ridiculously slow now?

BellamazedBellamazed
Reactions: 1,235
edited April 2017 in General Chat
Is it just me, or does spamming potions by holding down your potion hotkey take a ridiculously long time? I was using some low level potions on my new character and instead of blitzing up my HP bar there seemed to be a delay between each one that was used.

I haven't really played since 2011ish, it definitely didn't used to be like this. Just wanted to see if this was an intentional change or if I'm just lagging? The rest of my game-play seems fine though.

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2017
    probably more latency issues than potion lag
    JettLuvsU
  • BellamazedBellamazed
    edited April 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    I would say there is a small lag to potion use, but nothing too crazy. I have a 1 second delay roughly?

Yes, but that one second delay seems to be between each potion use (while holding the potion key down).
    If I have 5k HP and (for whatever reason) used pots that heal 1k each, it takes about a second to use a potion, a second lag, repeat. So 10 seconds to heal all the way up. It's kind of excessive.

It never used to do that, it would spam potions extremely quickly when held.

@DarkPassenger - there is no lag between pressing the key and the initial pot, it's just between each potion while holding the key down :/
  • MayetalaMayetala
    Reactions: 1,520
    edited April 2017
    A good way to test if it's because of lag is to first, hold down your potion button in any town or hunting area, see if you're getting the delay. Then, go to a place that's on a "private server" (such as Dimension PQ or the Magnus/Cygnus entry maps), and try the same thing. Private server areas lag a LOT LESS than the other game areas do, from what I've noticed.

I always go to the Dimension PQ lobby to open up event boxes because they open up a lot faster without the delay.
  • BXLBXL
    Reactions: 870
    edited April 2017
    Bellamazed wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does spamming potions by holding down your potion hotkey take a ridiculously long time? I was using some low level potions on my new character and instead of blitzing up my HP bar there seemed to be a delay between each one that was used.

I haven't really played since 2011ish, it definitely didn't used to be like this. Just wanted to see if this was an intentional change or if I'm just lagging? The rest of my game-play seems fine though.

Definitely not just you... A few updates ago it was completely fine... But now whenever I try to open boxes on a hotkey, it takes forever...
    e. e!
    Bellamazed
    edited April 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    I would say there is a small lag to potion use, but nothing too crazy. I have a 1 second delay roughly?

Yes, but that one second delay seems to be between each potion use (while holding the potion key down).
    If I have 5k HP and (for whatever reason) used pots that heal 1k each, it takes about a second to use a potion, a second lag, repeat. So 10 seconds to heal all the way up. It's kind of excessive.

It never used to do that, it would spam potions extremely quickly when held.

@DarkPassenger - there is no lag between pressing the key and the initial pot, it's just between each potion while holding the key down :/

Thats the definition of latency, the data had been received by the game client but the process hasn't been executed. Holding it down might be the problem, try just pressing it (tapping) and the data for +- 5 potions will be recieved. Thats why i use elixrs or power elixrs, so I just have to press it once depending if it's my main or secondaries. Main uses power elixirs and secondaries get elixirs.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Might want to check your keyboard settings (in the control panel) for auto-repeat speed.
    When you hold a key down, the computer behaves as if you're repeatedly pressing the same key. How quickly? Depends on your settings.
  • BellamazedBellamazed
    edited April 2017
    Thats the definition of latency, the data had been received by the game client but the process hasn't been executed. Holding it down might be the problem, try just pressing it (tapping) and the data for +- 5 potions will be recieved. Thats why i use elixrs or power elixrs, so I just have to press it once depending if it's my main or secondaries. Main uses power elixirs and secondaries get elixirs.

@DarkPassenger - I'm confused - When I press the key the effects of the first potion are immediate. If there was a latency issue shouldn't there be a delay for all potions (including the first one), and not just subsequent potions? Tapping it isn't as fast as I'd like. This definitely never used to be an issue. Holding the key would result in super speed potions hahaha, now it's no faster than tapping them on one-by-one.

@AKradian - you might be on to something, I'll check my settings when I get home, but it does only occur when holding a potion or use item key, not with skills etc.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    You really shouldn't be needing to spam potions that much. I know it seems like a waste to not use the potions that drop from monsters, but the time you waste spamming them instead of attacking is just not worth it.
    If you have too many HP to be comfortably healed by Reindeer Milk (that we get plenty of from boxes), and you're too weak to kill bosses for Elixirs, then go to New Leaf City (through the Subway in Kerning City) and buy some %-healing potions from Miki.
    edited April 2017

@DarkPassenger - I'm confused - When I press the key the effects of the first potion are immediate. If there was a latency issue shouldn't there be a delay for all potions (including the first one), and not just subsequent potions? Tapping it isn't as fast as I'd like. This definitely never used to be an issue. Holding the key would result in super speed potions hahaha, now it's no faster than tapping them on one-by-one.

@AKradian - you might be on to something, I'll check my settings when I get home, but it does only occur when holding a potion or use item key, not with skills etc.

I do notice what youre saying about the potions, could be just how the patches came to be. Potions may take longer (1 second longer) to register
    Bellamazed
  • BellamazedBellamazed
    edited April 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be needing to spam potions that much. I know it seems like a waste to not use the potions that drop from monsters, but the time you waste spamming them instead of attacking is just not worth it.
    If you have too many HP to be comfortably healed by Reindeer Milk (that we get plenty of from boxes), and you're too weak to kill bosses for Elixirs, then go to New Leaf City (through the Subway in Kerning City) and buy some %-healing potions from Miki.

Yeah, I know - and this is a non-issue now as my character is a little higher and have plenty of mesos to burn on NLC pots. I was just asking to see if it was me, or a change from a patch etc. It appears to be the latter honestly.

Thank you all for the help :)