[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.251 - GO WEST! Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Botting in this game seems out of control

ShinewindShinewind
Reactions: 470
Posts: 10
Member
edited May 2017 in General Chat
So I've been playing for about a month
and some, I've leveled a dawn warrior to 170s(woo burning event) and a mercedes to 120s on Scania.

I've seen botters in massive numbers during in the henesy ruins mostly on weekends. But it was never so bad that I couldn't find a channel and complete quests I'm working on.

Now I'm on my mercedes going through the fantasy theme world park. I had to give up for today because I couldn't find channels to complete the quests on. I went through all the maps on for the first area...I forgot what it's called. 3 maps, 20 channels for a total of 60. A bot on every single one and even more bots would teleport in see the channel taken and change channel out.
That's bad. I remember seeing on reddit about the banning list but what does it matter when mass botting takes place in a way that it can actually distrupt legit players from playing the quests in the area.

Is anything being done about this rather than waiting some amount of time and mass banning? I mean, it shouldn't be so bad that I can't play in areas if I want. If it's that obvious then some kind of automated system can be put in place.

Despite really liking this game this situation makes me wary to continue playing.
JettLuvsUDeeMonhyfurdSanctity

Comments

  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    Posts: 884
    Member
    edited May 2017
    When they start plaguing the Arcane River maps it becomes quite obvious that blatant hacking is going on.

    You're right. The mass number of bans shown each week are overshadowed by the fact the sheer number of botters continuing to hack in places where we need the most.

    An automated system can work if used properly. Using it for auto-bans can result in false bans such as if the player is lagging or doing an action that might trigger due to it's detection. If it was used to notify GM's about abnormal player behavior even before someone reports them this can decrease the chances of a false ban. However I believe even the current player to GM interaction during investigations need an overhaul because I've seen many stories where a player is banned for not noticing a GM's presence.

    Another issue is player reports supposedly not doing anything to hackers. Several people have claimed that they have reported a botter/hacker some time and encountering the same character again few days/weeks later. We as the player-base have no idea why such a thing happens which needs to be resolved indefinitely. If there's some sort of loophole where a cheater does not get banned for something they should the result shows that those people will continue getting away. It influences cheating which isn't healthy for the player-base.

    There's one thing that the botters I've seen have in common. Blaze Wizards, Kinesis, and Blasters enabling a hack that allows them for full map attack. If this was permanently patched that will cripple the mass botting/hacking that's seen today.

    This game can be much better than it is right now. This is just one of the various issues plaguing the game and solving that can increase the trust of former, current, and new players that Nexon can take action for the better interest of the community.
    JettLuvsU
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    The scary part is some classes that can cut skill delay and animation sometimes trigger the auto detection.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    Posts: 1,572
    Member
    edited May 2017
    The scary part is some classes that can cut skill delay and animation sometimes trigger the auto detection.

    and if I have a lag spike of about 30 seconds or longer...I usually will end up triggering it too. Basically every 2x I have to stop attacking if I see ANY lag (or I risk losing my buffs, gg Nexon) Honestly...I know a guy who can program and probably can dissect a maple hack in minutes...but ofc...I expect we would be banned for even touching a hack in any way possible. (Even though he could probably find some sort of fix for the hacks)
  • XeratetsuXeratetsu
    Reactions: 1,050
    Posts: 43
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Its not just the sheer number of hackers, Its nexons inability to patch them. To quote myself from something i said the other day
    Xeratetsu wrote: »
    The whole idea that nexon can even begin to deal with hacking problems is just that, An idea. It can be put into practical use because the entire back bone of the game is literally just spaghetti code. The only way they nexon could even begin to deal with the hacker problem is if they sort out the games code and make it actually make sense. But this in itself will never happen because going in and reprogramming the entire game is such a laborious undertaking that its almost an impossibility.

    This isnt even speculation, If the games code wasnt a giant bowl of spaghetti code, then they would have no problem patching hacks, They would have no problem fixing bugs, and they wouldnt break everything with every update.

    JettLuvsUPirateIzzy
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    They need to update their hacking detection software, seems outdated. It should be updated regularly.
    They have been listening too much to the content people ( those that want content and nothing else) for a long time now.
    They also havent been doing much to market the game and attract new players. Most of it seems to just keep old players, they need to make the game less kid friendly and target their real player base.
  • XeratetsuXeratetsu
    Reactions: 1,050
    Posts: 43
    Member
    edited May 2017
    They need to update their hacking detection software, seems outdated. It should be updated regularly.
    They have been listening too much to the content people ( those that want content and nothing else) for a long time now.
    They also havent been doing much to market the game and attract new players. Most of it seems to just keep old players, they need to make the game less kid friendly and target their real player base.

    Regardless of if they update their anti-hack systems, they'll screw it up and legit players will be hurt more by false bans by the autoban system. With how terrible Nexon NA is, Hackers will find a way around any anti-hack system they put in place because it wont be implemented properly.

    And as for your comment about them marketing to a new audience, they literally cant. They dont have the budget to advertise to anyone because kms is already trying to kill Gms because of its incredible small contribution to the overall organization that is Nexon. The only content that Gms adds is from kms, and when they do tend to do outlier content they screw it up either by improper implementation, or they make it a complete and utter cash grab like they did to the rezero event that worked perfectly fine in Jms. Its impossible for them to introduce a game to a new audience when the game is in such poor condition that even the loyal oldschool players dont really want to play.

    And as it is, this game is so far from kid friendly that its not even funny. Half the systems in the game dont get explained to players, The other half are convoluted and useless. The progression of the game(gear progression, Boss progression, and training progression) is never explained to players. Nexon loses more potential players than they gain by not being player friendly, So saying the game is kid friendly is a bit of an oversight on your part.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Posts: 748
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    The situation clearly requires a new approach to be solved. Hiring more GMs would help but is unlikely to make a meaningful impact.

    Who knows if they actually have the momentum/desire internally to do something though.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited May 2017
    The hackers in Arcane river aren't the gold farmer bots. They are players taking advantage of hacking in that area for nodestones. As for all the other areas like Destroyed Perion etc. Majority of them are gold farmers and will keep coming back.

    I've said this before but I'll say it again. Nexon needs to go after the money. It's pretty evident they don't check FM as there are so many shops that shouldn't be there but have been in business for years. They are hacked shops for starters and sell elite boss crap and legendary gear. The ones actual players setup includes around the same but massive stacks of nodestones. Nexon should be looking into these shops because the hackers always need to trade their goods to other accounts when they make too much money and the items have to go to the seller so they'd leave a massive trail which would be far easier than going after thousands of gold farmer bots. They need to be following the money. That is the only way they'll cripple gold farmers and hackers. If you make something not worth doing then it wont be done.

    The auction house is anouther issue too. Currently names do not show. This should change as this is anouther avenue hackers can use and are using to sell their illegit crap.

    If they did the above they'd be able to focus on players macroing and hacking at Arcane river to hit 250 rather than going after thousands of gold sellers that are irrelevant.
    JettLuvsUIts2Sharp4U
  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    Posts: 376
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Nexon should think of talking with external anti-cheating company and apply their anti-cheat system in game.. i would recommend on Even Balance Inc (Punkbuster), and apply MAC address bans.
  • BrokenMSBrokenMS
    Reactions: 580
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Come on guys! Think! - Nexon, Money, Bots, Hacking Programs, Player Bans,
    How can this game survive with so less people playing/spenting nowaday ? Bots!
    Players pays Money -> N for hacking programs -> Botting ( why botters don't get ban cause its coming from N )
    Players get banned -> back to game spending again.
    Note: all predictions.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Xeratetsu wrote: »
    They need to update their hacking detection software, seems outdated. It should be updated regularly.
    They have been listening too much to the content people ( those that want content and nothing else) for a long time now.
    They also havent been doing much to market the game and attract new players. Most of it seems to just keep old players, they need to make the game less kid friendly and target their real player base.

    Regardless of if they update their anti-hack systems, they'll screw it up and legit players will be hurt more by false bans by the autoban system. With how terrible Nexon NA is, Hackers will find a way around any anti-hack system they put in place because it wont be implemented properly.

    And as for your comment about them marketing to a new audience, they literally cant. They dont have the budget to advertise to anyone because kms is already trying to kill Gms because of its incredible small contribution to the overall organization that is Nexon. The only content that Gms adds is from kms, and when they do tend to do outlier content they screw it up either by improper implementation, or they make it a complete and utter cash grab like they did to the rezero event that worked perfectly fine in Jms. Its impossible for them to introduce a game to a new audience when the game is in such poor condition that even the loyal oldschool players dont really want to play.

    And as it is, this game is so far from kid friendly that its not even funny. Half the systems in the game dont get explained to players, The other half are convoluted and useless. The progression of the game(gear progression, Boss progression, and training progression) is never explained to players. Nexon loses more potential players than they gain by not being player friendly, So saying the game is kid friendly is a bit of an oversight on your part.

    Legally, under 18, even if theyre 17 or 16, theyre kids, so it is kid friendly. Aside from that, there are 5-6 year olds that have a handle on how this game functions. This game is kid friendly. I would say, alright the design isnt so much directed towards kids because Korea and Japan like using these "cute" characters and all that stuff, but saying thay maplestory is "far from kid friendly" is a general mistake, intentional or not. There are no difficult game mechanics to this. Kids have a better understanding of how games are played, cognitive functions and reasoning at young ages are better than when youre an adult, to a certain extent. So the way you say these things is like youre saying a kid is too dumb to figure things out just because they dont give you a guide on how to play the game.


    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/maplestory

    says there, the game was originally designed for 6+ but the end user agreement states it recommends 13+ because of the bad apples in the game. but the cute design was to draw in 6+, so again, this game is kid friendly.
  • ShinewindShinewind
    Reactions: 470
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Well day two of nothing but botters in the map I'm working on in fantasy them world. Funky Station 3. I was really hoping there would be one free channel....I guess I'm giving up trying out this theme dungeon. Going to just go grind elsewhere. Any suggestions?

    I've finished the maple guide stuff that's why I was in the fantasy theme world. Something I hadn't done on my dawn warrior and I don't really like the evolution system.

  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Shinewind wrote: »
    Well day two of nothing but botters in the map I'm working on in fantasy them world. Funky Station 3. I was really hoping there would be one free channel....I guess I'm giving up trying out this theme dungeon. Going to just go grind elsewhere. Any suggestions?

    I've finished the maple guide stuff that's why I was in the fantasy theme world. Something I hadn't done on my dawn warrior and I don't really like the evolution system.

    The dungeon doesnt really have good stuff, they usually go there because less than 1% of players go there, so it's secluded. If you want mastery books, silent crusade shop sells them for the coins. other than that for training, 120-130 i did straw target dummies. Usually always 70+ burning.
  • ShinewindShinewind
    Reactions: 470
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Shinewind wrote: »
    Well day two of nothing but botters in the map I'm working on in fantasy them world. Funky Station 3. I was really hoping there would be one free channel....I guess I'm giving up trying out this theme dungeon. Going to just go grind elsewhere. Any suggestions?

    I've finished the maple guide stuff that's why I was in the fantasy theme world. Something I hadn't done on my dawn warrior and I don't really like the evolution system.

    The dungeon doesnt really have good stuff, they usually go there because less than 1% of players go there, so it's secluded. If you want mastery books, silent crusade shop sells them for the coins. other than that for training, 120-130 i did straw target dummies. Usually always 70+ burning.

    Ok, but how do I get to straw dummies?

    I'll admit that I don't really know where to go in this game even though I've been playing for a month. Without the maple guide I'm pretty lost on where I should go at what levels. I've tried finding places myself but it never seems to workout, either the levels are wrong or the maps are crappy so I've stuck to the guide. Feel free to call me a noob, I certainly am one.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    Posts: 884
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Shinewind wrote: »
    Ok, but how do I get to straw dummies?

    I'll admit that I don't really know where to go in this game even though I've been playing for a month. Without the maple guide I'm pretty lost on where I should go at what levels. I've tried finding places myself but it never seems to workout, either the levels are wrong or the maps are crappy so I've stuck to the guide. Feel free to call me a noob, I certainly am one.

    Straw Target Dummies can be found in Mu Lung. If you open up the world map, on the top-right and type in "Straw Target Dummy", it should show a result line under the search bar. Click-on it and it'll show you the following maps.

    Another way of finding out training areas is using the one provided on the forums or a Google Search. It's not that hard to find, if you know where to look.

    If you still can't mange to figure out what you should be doing you can always ask someone on the forums if you don't have buddies or a guild/alliance to fall back on. There are many of us that are willing to help you. No need to hesitate, we were all noobs in the beginning of time.

    I'll admit some shame here. This use to be the hardest jump quest that took me 30 minutes when I first started playing MMOs. This was even before Training Jr.Sentinels were there.
    b4BY0TQ.png

    What's most important is learning beyond what you know. Those are the type of people I envy the most.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Shinewind wrote: »
    Shinewind wrote: »
    Well day two of nothing but botters in the map I'm working on in fantasy them world. Funky Station 3. I was really hoping there would be one free channel....I guess I'm giving up trying out this theme dungeon. Going to just go grind elsewhere. Any suggestions?

    I've finished the maple guide stuff that's why I was in the fantasy theme world. Something I hadn't done on my dawn warrior and I don't really like the evolution system.

    The dungeon doesnt really have good stuff, they usually go there because less than 1% of players go there, so it's secluded. If you want mastery books, silent crusade shop sells them for the coins. other than that for training, 120-130 i did straw target dummies. Usually always 70+ burning.

    Ok, but how do I get to straw dummies?

    I'll admit that I don't really know where to go in this game even though I've been playing for a month. Without the maple guide I'm pretty lost on where I should go at what levels. I've tried finding places myself but it never seems to workout, either the levels are wrong or the maps are crappy so I've stuck to the guide. Feel free to call me a noob, I certainly am one.

    Calling people noobs in 2017 seems decadent. Straw target dummies arent common thats why people dont really know about them, I only remember them since back in the day when they were level 50. I ventured into them and noticed that the first map has a nice flat area not too big and each portal is different until the last which has multi platforms.
  • RoognokRoognok
    Reactions: 640
    Posts: 10
    Member
    edited May 2017
    I checked logging a ticket on this and I can't seem to find the proper way to mention it. Even looking through the topics here on the forums, I see no definative spot to put this.

    The bots and hackers are getting incredibly out of control. I'm trying to work on my Monster Collection and there are a couple of places I can't seem to do that in because bots PLAGUE the maps. What happened to IP banning or potroling potential hot spots? Anyways, several maps in particular that seem be plagued by maps (this is NOT limited to any partiucluar channel so assume that ALL channels hold bots) are as follows...Mu Lung: Deep in the Sky Forest, Lake of Oblivion: Weatherd Land of happiness and Rage, Lake of Oblivion: Weathered Land of Rage and Sorrow, Lake of Oblivion: Weathered Land of Sorrow and Joy, Mu Lung: Practice Field: Advanced Level.

    These are just a few and I'm certain there are more, please do something about these game ruining players.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    Posts: 177
    Member
    edited May 2017
    When they start plaguing the Arcane River maps it becomes quite obvious that blatant hacking is going on.

    There was a time last year, not sure exactly when, but the GMs just stopped banning and/or checking popular maps, like Northern Heights. I believe it was that they were taking a vacation or something. Hackers used to keep away from popular maps back then, but after that, they noticed they wouldn't get banned, so they started to hack wherever they wanted. Of course, that just never stopped. Sure, there are a lot of weekly bans, but I'll have to say, it just isn't enough. The moment the GMs let off on the hackers, they were permanently emboldened to shamelessly hack in popular maps.
    JettLuvsU
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Posts: 2,146
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Roognok wrote: »
    I checked logging a ticket on this and I can't seem to find the proper way to mention it. Even looking through the topics here on the forums, I see no definative spot to put this.

    That would be because the proper place to report players is either in-game or in a ticket.
    Typically when reporting large amounts of players or specific maps I choose one character to report and mention the maps affected in the report body.

    The forums aren't the place to file reports, let alone without knowing which world you're in. Either way we already have two threads on the subject made recently, so I'm merging your thread into an existing one.
    DarkPassenger
  • TemptationTemptation
    Reactions: 1,575
    Posts: 74
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Everyday I report spawn hack in pianus, nothing is done, for years hackers are there auto-spawning and kiling pianus... gg Nexon,honestly I don't think this company wants to solve the hacking issue.