[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Resistance Thief Class

StarshadowStarshadow
Reactions: 710
edited June 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So, the resistance has 4 classes at present:

A pirate
A bowman
A mage
A warrior

So... where's the thief?

I'd definitely like to see how Maplestory can put a spin on the thief class, but here's an idea;

A puppeteer -
Uses a claw (or control bar) as main weapon
Could use a thread spool as secondary weapon(?)
For the first few jobs, you use your strings to attack the enemies directly, but in later jobs you control marionettes and mobs
The play style would be to keep your space, letting your marionettes/controlled mobs attack for you
It could even be a standalone class with it's own storyline, including Francis from the Black Wings

Credits to foussiremix for a chakram user -
Uses a chakram as a main weapon
Could use a Qi orb as secondary weapon
The play style consists of a hybrid of close-range slash attacks and long-range chakram-throwing attacks

Credits to thrakkes for playable npc classes -
Playable Edea, from Tyrant castle

Playable Ayame from the Princess No questline

Credits to DarkPassenger for an alchemy-based steampunk thief
Attack and heal with potions, ideal survivability
More on this as DarkPassenger elaborates on this idea

Credits to scholar621 for a bladed yo-yo-wielding thief -
Uses different types of yo-yo tricks for different types of attacks, making it very versatile

I'll add more class ideas as suggestions are posted.

Comments

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Class idea:Chakram user
    Main weapon: chakram
    Sub weapon: Qi orb

Playstyle: Slashes foes with fast spinning Chakrams and can throw them for ranged attacks.

Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017
    Class idea:Chakram user
    Main weapon: chakram
    Sub weapon: Qi orb

Playstyle: Slashes foes with fast spinning Chakrams and can throw them for ranged attacks.

I assume you don't mind if I add this to my original post? ^w^
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited June 2017
    I already wrote up a Puppeteer thing a looong time ago. I even had drawings for the skills it would use. I see it as 1st job you have to use your puppet strings to pull and push mobs around. 2nd job and onward you get summons and stronger skills with your equipped Puppet (secondary weapon). I actually thought of a Unique weapon, the Control Cross/Bar as a main weapon. I also thought it should have a somewhat unique story to it with Francis involved. I just need to find those old skill pictures and I could show you what i meant. I may still have a copy of the "extremely rough job skill stats and blah blah" thing somewhere around here.
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    I already wrote up a Puppeteer thing a looong time ago. I even had drawings for the skills it would use. I see it as 1st job you have to use your puppet strings to pull and push mobs around. 2nd job and onward you get summons and stronger skills with your equipped Puppet (secondary weapon). I actually thought of a Unique weapon, the Control Cross/Bar as a main weapon. I also thought it should have a somewhat unique story to it with Francis involved. I just need to find those old skill pictures and I could show you what i meant. I may still have a copy of the "extremely rough job skill stats and blah blah" thing somewhere around here.

Yeah, I've had that idea for a while as well. I don't know if I can post links, but if you check my basilmarket account, I have a suggestion for a puppeteer from a few years back lol. If you could find those pictures, it would be much appreciated as well.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited June 2017
    Starshadow wrote: »

Yeah, I've had that idea for a while as well. I don't know if I can post links, but if you check my basilmarket account, I have a suggestion for a puppeteer from a few years back lol. If you could find those pictures, it would be much appreciated as well.

Well I already dug up that old "rough list of skills and blah blah" thing...which is a start. -prepare for a long post after this-
    Starshadow
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    theres already a post about this.

also if you make a blaster, the job instructor says it himself, " Claudine something something, she doesn't have any students right now." so that may indicate that she is an actual job instructor and shes a thief.

if there were to make a thief resistance it'd have to follow the weapon Claudine uses. Which is a whip-ish type weapon.
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017
    theres already a post about this.

also if you make a blaster, the job instructor says it himself, " Claudine something something, she doesn't have any students right now." so that may indicate that she is an actual job instructor and shes a thief.

if there were to make a thief resistance it'd have to follow the weapon Claudine uses. Which is a whip-ish type weapon.

There's already a post like this? That's news to me... Link, please?
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/comment/44019/#Comment_44019

pretty old so it got lost behind the newer ones
    Starshadow
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited June 2017
    Extremely Rough List of Possible Puppeteer skill stuff
    Values are completely worthless so I am not gonna put them at this time. Pictures will come if I can find them. I also had to make edits because I wrote this ages ago and things have changed in the game (mainly how you get SP in 4th job, the addition of 5th job, etc.)
    NOTE: Not all SP will be filled up because this mainly covers attacks and basic buffs/summons. All SP values can be changed if Nexon actually implemented this.

First Job

String Pull/Pulling Strings
    Grab X monsters and pull them towards you. Max Level: 20 (Damage is pending because I don't know what would be balanced)

Control Lash
    Attack X monsters and throw them back. (Meant to be a basic combo of skills) Max Level: 10 or 20 (Damage pending)

Puppet Push/Wire Jump
    Basically a Double/Triple Jump. Max Level: 5 or 10

Second Job

Basic Marionette
    Summon your equipped puppet to fight by your side. Various marionettes have different benefits (kinda like Wild Hunter and jaguars, the Puppets will be similar to your average summon unless you use a Puppet required skill that requires the summon active) Max Level: 1

Loose Strings
    Increase your Attack Speed by one phase for X amount of time. Max Level 10

Puppet Swipe
    Grab your Puppet to attack X monsters. Applies a Debuff if you have certain marionettes equipped. Max Level: 20

All Tied Up
    Key Down Skill. Whip your strings around like a tornado to attack enemies. Max Level: 20

Control
    Mastery and Critical rate increasing passive. Max Level: 10

Sleight of Hand
    Increases Avoidability passively. Max Level: 5?

Third Job

Marionette Mastery
    Increases damage/buffs from your Marionettes. Max Level: 15

Marionetti Mini
    Summon a pretty puppet to attack enemies. (Average place down summon) Max Level: 10

Pounding of Puppets
    Use your marionette to Attack enemies. May cause stun briefly. Debuff may be applied with certain marionettes. Max Level: 20

Deceit
    Grants a chance to apply a DoT on an enemy when using a Puppet skill. Max Level: 10

Puppet Rush
    Use your Marionette to tackle down your enemies. (Can be used in combination with 4th job skill Puppet Pummeling) Max Level: 20

Fourth Job

Puppet Pummeling
    Use your Puppets to pummel your enemies (I imagine this being a good mobbing skill) Max Level: 30

Control Freak
    Increases Mastery and Attack. Max Level: 30

In a Knot
    Use your strings to bind your enemies down. Max Level: 20

...and I lost the rest of the 4th job skills. Moving on to Hypers then.

Hyper Skills

Friendly Francis
    Summon dolls that look like Francis to distract enemies and strengthen yourself.

Puppet Show
    Use all of your marionettes in a group attack. Will apply Debuffs from special marionettes.

Fifth Job (These are completely new stuff I just came up with...don't judge if they are terrible)

Colossal Marionette
    Summon a fully powered Puppet to wreak havoc on your enemies. (It's a free moving summon)

Puppet Pow-pow
    Use your summoned Puppet and strings to attack in a powerful circle. (Key-down Skill)
    Starshadow
  • thrakkesthrakkes
    Reactions: 2,135
    edited June 2017
    Then Nexon will need to invent a new NPC. At least, Xenon can fill thief role, even if it can be a pirate too, it's both. It can use thief and/or pirate gears and can be either thief or pirate card depending which type of Deck it is, needs to be with two thieves or two pirates. This won't matter in less than 1 week with Union patch unless looking at the block shape in Union board.

If we want a new class, ask JMS to create Ayame as we can only play her by doing Princess No content, the prequest and key farming dungeon. Ayame looks really cool to play and would be a pirate sengoku class.

I have an idea of Mage Class for Nova, Edea, the one who helps you to introduce into the Tyrant Castle. Of course her Magnus prequest should be different than Kaiser and AB. She would have skills similar to Magnus :P
    Starshadow
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited June 2017
    thrakkes wrote: »
    Then Nexon will need to invent a new NPC. At least, Xenon can fill thief role, even if it can be a pirate too, it's both. It can use thief and/or pirate gears and can be either thief or pirate card depending which type of Deck it is, needs to be with two thieves or two pirates. This won't matter in less than 1 week with Union patch unless looking at the block shape in Union board.

If we want a new class, ask JMS to create Ayame as we can only play her by doing Princess No content, the prequest and key farming dungeon. Ayame looks really cool to play and would be a pirate sengoku class.

I have an idea of Mage Class for Nova, Edea, the one who helps you to introduce into the Tyrant Castle. Of course her Magnus prequest should be different than Kaiser and AB. She would have skills similar to Magnus :P

-cough- Francis -cough-
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017

-cough- Francis -cough-

Thank you. And as for Edea or Ayame, why must the class already be an NPC? I don't understand, lol
  • thrakkesthrakkes
    edited June 2017

-cough- Francis -cough-

Then we need to rewrite part of history. Francis is not a good guy. And I fail to imagine how a Puppeteer can be a thief o-0 I rather take what already exists, this is why my previous post.
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017
    Then we need to rewrite part of history. Francis is not a good guy. And I fail to imagine how a Puppeteer can be a thief o-0

Just the same way a mechanic can be a pirate, or a blaster can be a warrior. Just throwing around ideas.
    Petalmagic
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited June 2017

-cough- Francis -cough-

Then we need to rewrite part of history. Francis is not a good guy. And I fail to imagine how a Puppeteer can be a thief o-0 I rather take what already exists, this is why my previous post.

-cough- Black Heaven -cough-
    Starshadow
  • thrakkesthrakkes
    edited June 2017
    Then we need to rewrite part of history. Francis is not a good guy. And I fail to imagine how a Puppeteer can be a thief o-0

Just the same way a mechanic can be a pirate, or a blaster can be a warrior. Just throwing around ideas.

I don't see anything wrong with mechanic being a pirate, the robot has gun too. Kinda same as for Blaster being a warrior, even if looking a bit similar to bucc, seeing the way he moves.

I made my edit too late, but what you think about Edea and Ayame as new classes?
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017

I don't see anything wrong with mechanic being a pirate, the robot has gun too. Kinda same as for Blaster being a warrior, even if looking a bit similar to bucc, seeing the way he moves.

I made my edit too late, but what you think about Edea and Ayame as new classes?

Idk, having an npc being a playable class seems like an interesting concept, and some of the five maple heroes can be interacted with by other classes as well, so I suppose it has happened before. I'll add it to my post.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited June 2017
    We're never getting an Ayame class. The new Sengoku common skill confirms this.
    As for a Resistance thief, maybe? I kind of doubt it, since they mention in the storyline that the Resistance doesn't train thieves.
    Starshadow
  • StarshadowStarshadow
    edited June 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    As for a Resistance thief, maybe? I kind of doubt it, since they mention in the storyline that the Resistance doesn't train thieves.

Didn't it used to say they don't train thieves as well as warriors, before the blaster update? Text events can easily be changed, it doesn't mean much as far as I can tell?
  • thrakkesthrakkes
    edited June 2017

Idk, having an npc being a playable class seems like an interesting concept, and some of the five maple heroes can be interacted with by other classes as well, so I suppose it has happened before. I'll add it to my post.

Just remember about Mihile lol. Mihile is a NPC and also a class for a while.

PirateIzzy wrote: »

You should try Princess No questline so you can play Kanna, Hayato and Ayame class.

@Petalmagic I dont remember Francis being a nice guy in Black Heaven.
    Starshadow