[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

My computer's near death experience

UzumeUzume
Reactions: 2,525
edited October 2016 in Rants and Raves
I almost had a heart attack.

Woke up today to do some stuff on my computer, and it was freezing a lot and irritated me so I decided to restart. But then, I had a unaccountable (?) boot time BSOD and I was like okay, I'll just try again in a few minutes.

Didn't work. Called my mom cause I'm an idiot, and she tried several different things and that didn't work. I'm a digital artist, losing all of my stuff would actually break my heart. I felt incredibly sick, but my mom kept trying her hardest. Thankfully, she ended up fixing it, but apparently my computer has a load of corruption yet no virus's? I have no idea what happened, or how to fix corruption of windows files, but I'm about to get a new computer that's for sure.

Why can't technology not break on us?
JettLuvsUMegaScience

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Technology always breaks, sooner or later.
    Always back up anything you don't want to lose.
    LilyflowerInvulgo
  • UzumeUzume
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Technology always breaks, sooner or later.
    Always back up anything you don't want to lose.
    Yeah, I know, doing that right now. I would prefer an external hard drive for my things since it is a lot, but I can't get that quite yet.
  • KingDragonKingDragon
    Reactions: 2,005
    edited November 2016
    I got my laptop back in 2011 and have been binge using it till now (still am)

its battery cant hold a charge anymore and takes awhile to fully boot... cant even get a new one
  • TemptationTemptation
    Reactions: 1,575
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    KingDragon

I got my laptop back in 2011 and have been binge using it till now (still am)

its battery cant hold a charge anymore and takes awhile to fully boot... cant even get a new one
    Mine is from 2011 and apart from the dead battery it works fine
    It is important to clean the dust inside of laptop twice a year and replace the thermic paste every two years, if you are an heavy gamer once per year.
    Format your drive to clean the crap
    Keep it on windows 7
    Use an external drive as storage for the things you don't use often and as a backup.
  • LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited November 2016
    So what does it have to do with MapleStory again?
  • UzumeUzume
    edited November 2016
    I've had this desktop since about March 20th, 2013 (don't ask me why I remember the exact date) and I guess I haven't been the nicest computer owner in the world, I could've taken care of it a little better but I dunno why my windows would get corrupted of all things. Not like I was THAT terrible of a computer owner or anything.
    Oh well. Been backing up my files since Sunday and it's gotten a little better. Still gives me a heart attack when I restart it in fear of it BSODing again, but otherwise it has been just fine. Been doing some spring cleaning, getting rid of unnecessary files. Recovered 200 GB from doing all that (I have about a terabyte of space I can use in total) and it's really helped speed things up ever so slightly.
    LagTooMuch

So what does it have to do with MapleStory again?
    Not everything in Rants and Raves needs to be about MapleStory, much like Off-Topic Discussion.
  • ChloekinzzChloekinzz
    Reactions: 720
    edited June 2017
    How do you clean the dust out of a laptop? I could prob do with doing that tbh.
    Lilyflower
  • DreamWeaverDreamWeaver
    Reactions: 1,435
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    I know laptops are more practical and affordable, but I hate them. I recently had to declare my sister's $900 Dell DOA. It went from her tiles disappearing to not being able to get past her sign in screen. I did a virus scan (when it was working still), and that came up clean, so I'm guessing hardware failure? Whatever it was, when I tried getting into the system the next day, all I got was a black screen. Not even a BSOD! Then the touch mouse quit, followed by the touch screen, so... And of course none of us have a Windows restore CD, so I couldn't even reload the OS. :(
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    Thats how tech companies make money, if one item came out perfect ( outside intelligence agencies and governmental use, space agencies etc would be exceptions) , to put it simpler, consumers are introduced prototypes, prototypes are how tech companies generate the revenue. After a while consumers have to buy new prototypes or a modified version of the previous.
  • UkrMaplerUkrMapler
    Reactions: 510
    edited June 2017
    Just remember, within reason even if a computer wont load up, you can always take out the HDD and get access to the files. I've had computers fail on me, and I just took out the old Hard Drives and connected them to another rig to rip all files I needed. Always keep at least three back ups. I use a tool by Microsoft free of charge called SyncToy which synchronizes my main files to a backup, then I do another back up to an external hard drive. You should always keep one back up offline and unconnected. As a programmer and artist I've lost files before, and it sucks to see your work gone within a blink of an eye.
    Uzume
  • UzumeUzume
    edited June 2017
    UkrMapler wrote: »
    Just remember, within reason even if a computer wont load up, you can always take out the HDD and get access to the files. I've had computers fail on me, and I just took out the old Hard Drives and connected them to another rig to rip all files I needed. Always keep at least three back ups. I use a tool by Microsoft free of charge called SyncToy which synchronizes my main files to a backup, then I do another back up to an external hard drive. You should always keep one back up offline and unconnected. As a programmer and artist I've lost files before, and it sucks to see your work gone within a blink of an eye.

Yeah I'm an artist too, which is why I was ready to jump off a cliff if I lost my files. I didn't, and now they're on a nice little external hard drive. I did also make sure to back up my art folder on 3 other flash drives, and dropbox. I'm making sure I don't lose that folder.

And I didn't know that about the HDD, I'll keep it in mind if my computer explodes. Thanks!

Also since this post is actually from like 8 months ago, I'll give an update: I factory reset my computer after moving everything to the external hard drive. It did fix a bunch of my problems, but not all of them. After I had this bluescreen problem, some of my browsers stopped working (like I could open it, but it would take a really long time to load a single page, and it would slow down my entire computer tenfold) and then everything gradually went downhill. I went through 3 browsers before factory resetting, and now after factory resetting my browsers worked again but not for long. The same problem occurred, and I had no idea how to fix it. And I did really need a browser cause that's where I preform most of my operations, naturally, as does anyone who uses a computer. So now I'm using a sort of like chrome browser, and it hasn't died yet but I can't play select games like Terraria and my adobe flash won't work at all. I really just need a new computer I feel lol.
  • UkrMaplerUkrMapler
    Reactions: 510
    edited June 2017
    I'll PM you a guide for cleaning out your PC. Assuming your issues are not hardware related it will fix a lot of problems.