[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Ransomware twice when downloading

extromaextroma
Reactions: 630
edited July 2017 in Tech Support
So I got a new patch in my nexon launcher and I have now twice had ransomware quantined and deleted. Is anyone else getting this? I've completely uninstalled maplestory at this point due to this threat and would like some clarification
VimiGreenPickleLilyflower

Comments

• extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    After the first time I did a full scan of my computer to find nothing and then redownloaded the patch to then catch it once again.
  • VimiVimi
    Reactions: 1,760
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    My antivirus also detected a Trojan virus in the Maplestory files, downloaded through the Nexon Launcher. After it got quarantined and deleted, the launcher re-downloaded it and then it got re-deleted by my antivirus.

The file is named "CustomPatch186to187.exe"
  • extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    the file that it was detected in twice was C:\Library\maplestory\appdata\CustomPatch186to187.exe
  • JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I think it's best to not patch until the maintenance is declared complete. : \
  • extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    For anyone that knows more about ransomware does it have a keylogger in it? I don't think it does but I changed all of my stuff just to be safe
  • VimiVimi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I think it's best to not patch until the maintenance is declared complete. : \

The thing is that if you have Nexon Launcher open for any other Nexon games it automatically tries to patch/update them all
    JettLuvsUextroma
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    you can unclick it where it says auto updates
    VimiJettLuvsUSoapyyy
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    extroma wrote: »
    For anyone that knows more about ransomware does it have a keylogger in it? I don't think it does but I changed all of my stuff just to be safe

ransomware is relatively new, it is a thing were you cant access your computer's files unless you pay a certain amount of money to the person that gave you the ransomware.
    JettLuvsUSoapyyy
  • SoapyyySoapyyy
    Reactions: 100
    edited July 2017
    Yep got this twice on my laptop and comp lol
  • DragooooooooonDragooooooooon
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited July 2017
    scanning this right now gonna see what happens
  • krskkrsk
    Reactions: 2,980
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I downloaded, scanned, and found nothing. What virus protection are you guys using? I have Norton/Symantec. Also some more information might be helpful such as what OS you are using, what part of the world you are downloading from. I'm on windows 10, from California and again I did not get any virus or have any files quarantined.
  • extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    I'm from Canada using windows 10 and I have kaspersky if that helps at all.
  • SoapyyySoapyyy
    Reactions: 100
    edited July 2017
    California, Kaspersky too windows 10
  • krskkrsk
    Reactions: 2,980
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    It might just be a false positive then if you are all using the same software.
    extroma
  • extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    That's honestly what I was thinking when I first saw the alert and there was literally no one talking about it. Just got a kaspersky update too so we'll see if I get any flags after I redownload the game when it's back up
  • VimiVimi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Yep I have Kaspersky on Windows 10 too
  • GreenPickleGreenPickle
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Yes! Same thing for me. Im using kaspersky and win 10. Im not risking turn it off and doesnt want to redownload the game either. Please help!
  • GreenPickleGreenPickle
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Opps sorry about double posts
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited July 2017
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/24299

Hi Maplers,

We are aware of an issue that players are encountering during the Nexon Launcher patching process for v187. This error is causing anti-virus software to falsely detect the Nexon Launcher custom patch files as malicious files.

Please be aware that we are confident that the following files do not contain any malicious code and the detections encountered regarding these files are false detections.

CustomPatch184to187.exe
    CustomPatch185to187.exe
    CustomPatch186to187.exe
    If you encounter this issue, please whitelist your MapleStory client folders within your anti-virus program or briefly turn off real time scanning to ensure the false detection does not interrupt the patching process. If you are unsure about whitelisting your MapleStory folder or turning off your anti-virus program, please uninstall MapleStory and redownload the full MapleStory client through your Nexon Launcher.

If you still encounter errors after following the above steps, please send a support ticket through our Customer Support Center here.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thank you for your patience while we continue to look into this issue.

-The MapleStory Team
  • extromaextroma
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the update. Good to know that I was just freaking out for no reason.