[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Please bring Direct Game Launcher back debate plz?

YakudleYakudle
Reactions: 2,085
edited July 2017 in General Chat
Am trying using Nexon Launcher but i cant play with that so am forced to use steam to play and thats fine
but what if both steam and nexon launcher fails at some point?
nexon team its supposedly working on nexon launcher mainly
yet all i see its only pushing adds of the other nexon games instead of maplestory server stability or better network handling still not a fan of it really
all i want is to launch and play the game is that too much to ask for?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Yes, please.
    Bring Direct Launch back until Nexon Launcher can do at least as good a job as it did.

• PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited July 2017
    Agreed, completely. Also, some people actually do have multiple accounts, and Nexon Launcher makes it more tedious to go from one to another.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    Nexon launcher was supposed to be a 1 click away to get into all nexon games. So they saw a bigger picture than "multiple accounts" for one game. They saw one account for multiple games. Not just That but also the email thing as log in is also used as an "across the board" type thing, one log in, one password. I would say this is more organized.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017
    Nexon launcher was supposed to be a 1 click away to get into all nexon games. So they saw a bigger picture than "multiple accounts" for one game. They saw one account for multiple games. Not just That but also the email thing as log in is also used as an "across the board" type thing, one log in, one password. I would say this is more organized.

It sounds more organized, but it screws over a lot of players. On top of that, the launcher itself is heavily flawed with bugs, specific to Nexon Launcher. And that implies that many players actually use multiple games with the same account.
    edited July 2017
    Seeing as Nexon Launcher only supports Nexon games, that would be the case. Of course, best case scenario, it is a time saver not having to log in to different games with different info, only thing is that as you mentioned, there are kinks and bugs that need to be worked on. I wouldnt consider "multiple accounts for maplestory" to be a decent argument to bring back direct launcher because why even have multiple accounts for one person?
  • OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Of course, best case scenario, it is a time saver not having to log in to different games with different info

You could always do this, MapleStory accounts were always Nexon accounts that you could use for any of their games. The only time you save is not having to log into the games since you're already logged into the launcher, but that's pretty negligible to be honest.
  • KittiesKitties
    Reactions: 1,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I wish the Nexon Launcher offered a smooth patching experience. I had an easier time patching with classic game launcher. I switch to my kanna account to help friends train and it is a long process to relaunch the game. Really needs quality of life improvements..
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017
    why even have multiple accounts for one person?

A multitude of reasons; needing to store stuff on mules, not having enough character slots, maybe a fresh start?
    edited July 2017
    Kitties wrote: »
    I wish the Nexon Launcher offered a smooth patching experience. I had an easier time patching with classic game launcher. I switch to my kanna account to help friends train and it is a long process to relaunch the game. Really needs quality of life improvements..

Thats a thing to consider, I agree with the differences in patching. Old launcher was more efficient in patching.
    edited July 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    why even have multiple accounts for one person?

A multitude of reasons; needing to store stuff on mules, not having enough character slots, maybe a fresh start?

Too subjective to take into account. For the sake of the debate.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017

"Too subjective"? Not an argument. You asked why people have multiple accounts, and I gave you a answer. It's obviously an issue that affects players; just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it won't apply to someone else.
    There may be cases of siblings/friends alternating between accounts. Some people may want to keep important items off their main accounts for security reasons. There are also people who may use mules for Kishin or Holy Symbol, or possibly other types of boosts. Before you say "This has nothing do with Nexon Launcher", you asked why one person would have multiple accounts in the first place, not about Nexon Launcher.

Even going away from the fact that some people have multiple accounts, there are other issues with the Nexon Launcher. For instance, it doesn't let people know if and why they may be banned (the client just crashes). Or is that too subjective for you? It also has done absolutely nothing to reduce the number of botters in the game, as some people hypothesized at first. The cases of it updating files have also affected players. And let's not forget the fact this beauty, which only ever occurred with the Nexon Launcher and because of how it functions (and I know you know what it is, I saw you comment on that thread):
    iGu2Y9T.png
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Seeing as Nexon Launcher only supports Nexon games, that would be the case. Of course, best case scenario, it is a time saver not having to log in to different games with different info, only thing is that as you mentioned, there are kinks and bugs that need to be worked on. I wouldnt consider "multiple accounts for maplestory" to be a decent argument to bring back direct launcher because why even have multiple accounts for one person?

All that is good in theory.
    However, when the Launcher forces you to redownload the whole game often, or refuses to relaunch the game after it crashes because it thinks you're still "in game", then all that theoretical convenience is worth nothing. Which is why I said the GameLauncher should not have been removed before Nexon Launcher could perform equally well.

As for the "multiple accounts" - those are allowed by the ToS and used by many people for many reasons. Just because you don't use a feature doesn't mean that people who do should be punished.
    We're not saying to ditch the Nexon Launcher. Keep it for those people who play multiple Nexon games with one account. And keep the GameLauncher for those people who play only MapleStory but on multiple accounts.
    PirateIzzy
    edited July 2017

"Too subjective"? Not an argument. You asked why people have multiple accounts, and I gave you a answer. It's obviously an issue that affects players; just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it won't apply to someone else.
    There may be cases of siblings/friends alternating between accounts. Some people may want to keep important items off their main accounts for security reasons. There are also people who may use mules for Kishin or Holy Symbol, or possibly other types of boosts. Before you say "This has nothing do with Nexon Launcher", you asked why one person would have multiple accounts in the first place, not about Nexon Launcher.

Even going away from the fact that some people have multiple accounts, there are other issues with the Nexon Launcher. For instance, it doesn't let people know if and why they may be banned (the client just crashes). Or is that too subjective for you? It also has done absolutely nothing to reduce the number of botters in the game, as some people hypothesized at first. The cases of it updating files have also affected players. And let's not forget the fact this beauty, which only ever occurred with the Nexon Launcher and because of how it functions (and I know you know what it is, I saw you comment on that thread):
    iGu2Y9T.png

I dont think you understand what subjectivity is, the inherent personal reasons as to why you personally use many accounts is what is subjective, and using those reasons to suggest bringing the direct launcher back, the nexon launcher having issues in fact is objective. Lower your tone because youre making claims that arent connected.

There are many reasons to suggest bringing back the old launcher/direct launcher e.g the bugs and kinks the current nexon launcher has, the efficiency of the patching, being able to manual patch. But using the "multiple accounts" argument isnt the best because not everyone uses multiple accounts.

and yes Im well aware of the blank box issue, I am the one that brought it to the attention of the support team and they relayed the issue to the tech team.
    edited July 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

All that is good in theory.
    However, when the Launcher forces you to redownload the whole game often, or refuses to relaunch the game after it crashes because it thinks you're still "in game", then all that theoretical convenience is worth nothing. Which is why I said the GameLauncher should not have been removed before Nexon Launcher could perform equally well.

As for the "multiple accounts" - those are allowed by the ToS and used by many people for many reasons. Just because you don't use a feature doesn't mean that people who do should be punished.
    We're not saying to ditch the Nexon Launcher. Keep it for those people who play multiple Nexon games with one account. And keep the GameLauncher for those people who play only MapleStory but on multiple accounts.

Yeah, Im looking at it objectively, I would wager that is what the developers had envisioned, but it didnt work out that way. Im not saying it's wrong or against any rules to make multiple accounts, right? Im saying it isnt a good argument to support the request the direct launcher being brought back.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    There are many reasons to suggest bringing back the old launcher/direct launcher e.g the bugs and kinks the current nexon launcher has, the efficiency of the patching, being able to manual patch. But using the "multiple accounts" argument isnt the best because not everyone uses multiple accounts.

By the same logic, playing multiple Nexon games is also a subjective issue and not the best argument for having a central Nexon Launcher because not everyone plays multiple Nexon games.

In fact, I dare say I know more Maplers who have more than one account, than I know Maplers who play another Nexon game as well.
    PirateIzzy
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017

I dont think you understand what subjectivity is, the inherent personal reasons as to why you personally use many accounts is what is subjective, the nexon launcher having issues in fact is objective. Lower your tone because youre making claims that arent connected.

and yes Im well aware of the blank box issue, I am the one that brought it to the attention of the support team and they relayed the issue to the tech team.

I do understand subjectivity, I'm saying it's not a good way to dismiss an argument, especially since I know for a fact that I'm not the only person who has some of these issues (heck, half of them don't even apply to me); I'm not arguing from my own personal perspective, but how it does affect many players. And my tone is fine, thank you, but you've been pretty condescending yourself, but let's put that to the side.

And just because not everyone deals with an issue, no matter how subjective it is, doesn't legitimatize the fact that it affects people regardless. It's not like we're talking about how something makes a person feel (like in the current political climate) affecting them compared to other players, but something that objectively (yes, objectively) does make things more inconvenient for many players. Not everyone gets banned or does anything risky, does that mean Nexon shouldn't do anything about that? If NL could work with people who use multiple accounts or not, it would be fine, but like AKradian stated above, just because you don't personally use it doesn't mean people who do should be affected.
    edited July 2017
    That's the thing, I'm looking at it in a way where it's not as a player but as how they would see it. Removing myself from the equation, if I may.

Easier to manage accounts on their end.
    That being said it isn't about "playing multiple nexon games" but having a single platform in which their respective titles are easy to access. Alluding to steam. That's basically what Nexon launcher is comparable to now but to a scale of just Nexon games.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017
    That's the thing, I'm looking at it in a way where it's not as a player but as how they would see it. Removing myself from the equation, if I may.

That being said it isn't about "playing multiple nexon games" but having a single platform in which their respective titles are easy to access. Alluding to steam. That's basically what Nexon launcher is comparable to now but to a scale of just Nexon games.

What would be the difference in terms of purpose between playing multiple Nexon games and having a single platform in this case? The difference between Steam and NL is that the people who manage Steam expect their users to actually play multiple games, usually in the same genre, whereas Nexon's games are much more niche; one of everything, in a way.
    edited July 2017

I dont think you understand what subjectivity is, the inherent personal reasons as to why you personally use many accounts is what is subjective, the nexon launcher having issues in fact is objective. Lower your tone because youre making claims that arent connected.

I do understand subjectivity, I'm saying it's not a good way to dismiss an argument, especially since I know for a fact that I'm not the only person who has some of these issues (heck, half of them don't even apply to me); I'm not arguing from my own personal perspective, but how it does affect many players. And my tone is fine, thank you, but you've been pretty condescending yourself, but let's put that to the side.

And just because not everyone deals with an issue, no matter how subjective it is, doesn't legitimatize the fact that it affects people regardless. It's not like we're talking about how something makes a person feel (like in the current political climate) affecting them compared to other players, but something that objectively (yes, objectively) does make things more inconvenient for many players. Not everyone gets banned or does anything risky, does that mean Nexon shouldn't do anything about that? If NL could work with people who use multiple accounts or not, it would be fine, but like AKradian stated above, just because you don't personally use it doesn't mean people who do should be affected.

Let's get this clear right now, I'm not against the direct launcher. I'm against the argument for it. It's a weak one.

Maybe it should be opened with "the evidence is clear, after the removal of the direct launcher, nexon launcher has had many technical issues that weren't foreseen." "In light of these issues, a consideration to reinstate the direct launcher for those that have the technical issues as an alternative to be able to play the game, would be appreciated by the player base." "Moreover, having the direct launcher also helps those of us that use multiple accounts (legitimately) for whatever reason (insert subjective reasons), and we will be happy campers"
    edited July 2017

What would be the difference in terms of purpose between playing multiple Nexon games and having a single platform in this case? The difference between Steam and NL is that the people who manage Steam expect their users to actually play multiple games, usually in the same genre, whereas Nexon's games are much more niche; one of everything, in a way.

The difference is in the intention, "for those that play many nexon games"

"so nexon games will all be in one place, easy access if you happen to play other nexon titles"

There's a difference