[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

CAPTCHA for Users Suspected of Hacking

ArchMageArchMage
Reactions: 540
edited July 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
First of all, I think there should be more/better ways of determining if someone is hacking.

Some potential ideas could be:
  • Not taking damage for a long time whilst standing in areas where monsters spawn
  • Killing a monster simultaneously from a very far distance (I understand that this could be a problem for certain classes, but it could be triggered by a counter or something)
  • Not using in-game chat/chatting with npcs for an extended period of time
  • Not visiting the cash shop for an extended period of time
  • Increased prejudice for Blaze Wizards and Kannas

There are others , but these are what I have off the top of my head.

The main point of this post is to explain my idea to bring up a CAPTCHA window for any users who are suspected of hacking or using bots in-game.
The CAPTCHA wouldn't have to be that difficult to read, since I imagine getting a CAPTCHA-reading bot to work in-game is probably enough of a challenge for hackers anyway and the whole purpose is simply to force people to keep an eye on their game.

If the suspected "bot" fails to respond to the CAPTCHA in a certain amount of time (let's say 30 seconds as an example), it kicks them out of the game. Since this automated system is not perfect, it would never have the ability to ban a user from the game.

Please let me know what you guys think of this suggestion and feel free to offer any of your own ideas.

TL;DR: CAPTCHA people who are suspected of hacking and kick them if they do not respond to the CAPTCHA
DarkPassengerYoongi

Comments

• KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited July 2017
    Had no idea bullet 1 was possible. Tricky for those who AFK in maps w/o anti-bots and who has pets though. I can stay at say, TP masks maps for days and not die simply because my pets both have auto hp and auto feeding skill and I have thousands of pet food/power elixirs. I don't though and I don't see why anyone would. So I have no problem with this I suppose.

Bullet 2 - I'm sure every class has a range for their skills. Say for me as a bucc, there's a limit to how far my laser can hit, and lasers have no/very limited vertical range, so this sounds good but quite difficult to code esp. for classes like xenon, WA where it just goes everywhere.

Bullet 3 - This is tricky for me personally. I train at lach for extended periods of time w/o talking to anyone. I do events and go for BH/wolf portals but those take 20 minutes or so to spawn. Nonetheless, I won't mind being checked in on. It's nbd for me to prove I'm real, I just hope it doesn't get triggered the same time an anti-AFK mob spawns. This is, of course, under the assumption that it won't trigger if I'm in town. Otherwise, I'm definitely against it. I AFK a lot in town, it would be unbelievably unfair for me to get auto banned or kicked out of the game just for being quiet (or asleep). This will go against the guild contribution system.

Bullet 4 - This is what I don't agree with. I NEVER go into CS while in a training map. I leave all my "CS ventures" to moments when I'm actually in town, where I'm safe from anti-AFK mobs. Further, I don't go into CS a lot to begin with. The only time I go into CS are:
    To check out the weekly sales (once a week, wednesdays)
    To record RP (max 3x a day, minimum never)
    To buy MP entrance tickets (once a week)
    Again, this is under the assumption that this will not be triggered if I'm in town. If that assumption is wrong, then I carry the same stance as bullet 3.

Bullet 5 - I get blaze wizards. I don't get the kanna part. I don't play either class. I sometimes pop in on kanna to kish someone but never BW so I don't have enough data on either to form a good opinion on the matter.

I made a similar suggestion in another thread on ways to combat botters I think. Link: http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/comment/51770/#Comment_51770
    DarkPassenger
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited July 2017
    Thing about this is...look at the current Anti-Bot system. It works if you are a laggy player (the game registers you "teleporting" like a bot is all I can guess during a 5-10 second lag spike) but it doesn't work on bots...I might honestly suggest something if monsters are moving a certain distance from their spawn point...or to areas where monsters are not supposed to spawn (like the times I come into Robos and find them all on a normally safe platform) Only classes this can cause difficulty would be Kinesis and Jett (that I can think of...skills that move mobs from one area to another) and Kinesis is also a highly used botting class...but a legit Kinesis and Jett would do the Captcha and stuff. I would also add a potential "priority" to players in Offline mode (so many bots I see use that so I can't stalk them) and maybe player reports add a counter on captcha...say 3 reports and it will automatically trigger a captcha.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    Hmm, maybe to extend above, when you report someone a captcha appears. That's a good one Petal but 3 is too many, a player can only report one person at a time. So I'd say one report. (You can report 10 times but only a certain person once) unless I'm mistaken
  • SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    ArchMage wrote: »
    [*] Not using in-game chat/chatting with npcs for an extended period of time

This I disagree with. Other players who are constantly grinding the non-cheating way would barely speak or use NPC's in training maps... Then there's the issue that if this was implemented, it could spread to those just even being afk in towns. (I know you're hinting more at training maps, but bugs also happen...)

Only way this can be truly solved is for GM's to either introduce a voluntary team of 'mini GM's' to go about the game and removing the players from the maps. Or increasing the GM's presence on all servers, even if it means recruiting more GM's to do so.
    Pro-active GM's on games increases confidence in not just the players, but also the parents of the players (Age-depending, obviously)

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited July 2017
    Sparklee wrote: »
    [*] Not using in-game chat/chatting with npcs for an extended period of time

This I disagree with. Other players who are constantly grinding the non-cheating way would barely speak or use NPC's in training maps... Then there's the issue that if this was implemented, it could spread to those just even being afk in towns. (I know you're hinting more at training maps, but bugs also happen...)

Only way this can be truly solved is for GM's to either introduce a voluntary team of 'mini GM's' to go about the game and removing the players from the maps. Or increasing the GM's presence on all servers, even if it means recruiting more GM's to do so.
    Pro-active GM's on games increases confidence in not just the players, but also the parents of the players (Age-depending, obviously)

Id love to apply for "Mini GM" but its just a dream at this point. Heck...if I had their job requirements Id apply for the actual job.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    it's generally good to focus on how things could work.

What I mean is, if you identify a potential exploit/griefing problem perhaps think of a way to solve it?
    ArchMage
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited July 2017
    First of all, I think there should be more/better ways of determining if someone is hacking.

i understand it but i cannot bring myself to stop the hackers with solutions because am dumb and cant find a counter for the argument they have now
    ¨who wants to spend years grinding for anything in a game when you can get it faster doing this, dont want to waste my life in this like you¨

that leaves me thinking for days cause i already have 12 years spent in maple am not going to join them but i mean we only have one life afterall its a never ending grind anyways yet.. what should i do ? what would you do if you had the choice? am not telling anyone to do that am just telling the reason why i dont do anything about it

• PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    I think this needs a second look, maybe captchas would help gms, even if a little, that's still better then nothing.
  • DankMemerSenpaiDankMemerSenpai
    Reactions: 910
    edited January 2018
    Implement KMS' Lie Detector.

That is all.
  • YoongiYoongi
    Reactions: 1,735
    edited January 2018
    While I solo maplestory/have no friends in game and therefore don't really talk to anyone (and I don't often do quests), the capchta would be a bit annoying for me.

However, if it would curb hacking, I'd be all for it. I was actually thinking the other day that a captcha system would be nice, and frankly, I think it's needed. Considering how most hackers bot on nearly/all 20 maps in the same spot at the same time, for the owner of these bots, it would be interesting to see them try to do all those captchas in a time frame. 30 seconds to answer it is a bit much, especially since many of us go afk for more than 30 seconds sometimes (heck, it takes longer to use the bathroom than that) but I think random ones at random times that make you unable to play until you respond might work. I can see how a captcha would be frustrating to regular players, however, hacking is a HUGE problem and it needs to be curbed.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited January 2018
    Captchas triggered by the system is good way to slow down certain bots, but not all. The idea putting in lie detectors may backfire since some players cannot be trusted and may be used to troll people. It would be a huuuge mess busting the prankster who thinks it's okay to use captchas on people and those who just lagged and couldn't answer a captcha in time.

The captchas should be reserved for the system to use on players and should not be sold to players to be used on others.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited January 2018
    I disagree with increased prejudice to certain classes. I know some classes are hacker friendly but we have seen what happens when they have been intentionally targeted with an automated system. It is no excuse to limit game play. If the captcha system should function like its meant to, there is no need to target classes.