[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Please bring Direct Game Launcher back debate plz?

Comments

• PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited July 2017

Let's get this clear right now, I'm not against the direct launcher. I'm against the argument for it. It's a weak one.

Maybe it should be opened with "the evidence is clear, after the removal of the direct launcher, nexon launcher has had many technical issues that weren't foreseen." "In light of these issues, a consideration to reinstate the direct launcher for those that have the technical issues as an alternative to be able to play the game, would be appreciated by the player base." "Moreover, having the direct launcher also helps those of us that use multiple accounts (legitimately) for whatever reason (insert subjective reasons), and we will be happy campers"

You're neglecting the fact that Nexon is a business, and as a business their job to actually make their player base satisfied in order to keep them as customers; they can do this by fixing technical issues or doing quality of life changes. Obviously Nexon's track record over the years has been a mixed bag, but if you haven't noticed based on the forums (and other fan outlets, including Reddit and fan-sites), players care about a lot more than just technical issues in this game. Look at the immense backlash some of their changes have gotten over the years, such as the UTC change. And many of the QoL changes we've gotten from A Better Maple (many of which were of KMS origin but that's besides the point) have been very subjective, such as changing Maple Guide's stamp system or changing the way Screenshots work in KMS (among many, many other examples, but those two come strongly to mind).

The difference is in the intention, "for those that play many nexon games"

"so nexon games will all be in one place, easy access if you happen to play other nexon titles"

There's a difference

As stated before, that's also very subjective. How many of Nexon's players even play multiple games? And how much has that increased since Nexon Launcher's introduction? I can't imagine a significant number, but then again I don't have the stats. Like I said, Nexon's games are much more niche.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    PirateIzzy, I understand you're a bit standoffish with me but take a deep breath and read this over
    "Let's get this clear right now, I'm not against the direct launcher. I'm against the argument for it. It's a weak one.

Maybe it should be opened with "the evidence is clear, after the removal of the direct launcher, nexon launcher has had many technical issues that weren't foreseen." "In light of these issues, a consideration to reinstate the direct launcher for those that have the technical issues as an alternative to be able to play the game, would be appreciated by the player base." "Moreover, having the direct launcher also helps those of us that use multiple accounts (legitimately) for whatever reason (insert subjective reasons), and we will be happy campers"

I wrote that in a way that would've incorporated both objectivity (the alternative means to getting into the game in light of the technical issues of the nexon launcher) and subjectivity which would include the use of multiple accounts and the reasons for using them.

And yes, there is more than just technical issues, but without being able to get into the game, content doesn't really matter. A mild exaggeration but to some extent, true.
  • Zman2919Zman2919
    Reactions: 100
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I agree they should bring the direct launch back for the sole purpose of whenever the bugged Nixon launcher stops working you have an alternative option. I have had to redownload the nexon launcher along with my entire game at least 5 times now. This is extremely irritating, so I would difinetly vote to bring back the direct launch!
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    0 debate needed it needs bringing back
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited July 2017
    ^this.
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited July 2017
    thanks everyone for their input i hope more people join and share their thoughts on this
    hopefully somebody from the staff looks into this and actually says something about it?

i stated my reason already but ill try to add more to it

i dont have many accounts for maple or any other nexon game but i play like 2 nexon games maplestory its the main i mean 12 years already and still mapling
    being honest am worried about the course of this experiment or whatever it is nexon launcher right now
    when you have to rely on another service to play the game instead of the main developers/provider whatever its something to think about right?
    i still believe the removal of the Direct Launcher was a litle bit Rushed and maybe forced on the players? i dunno
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017
    PirateIzzy, I understand you're a bit standoffish with me but take a deep breath and read this over
    "Let's get this clear right now, I'm not against the direct launcher. I'm against the argument for it. It's a weak one.

I wrote that in a way that would've incorporated both objectivity (the alternative means to getting into the game in light of the technical issues of the nexon launcher) and subjectivity which would include the use of multiple accounts and the reasons for using them.

And yes, there is more than just technical issues, but without being able to get into the game, content doesn't really matter. A mild exaggeration but to some extent, true.

Sigh, you missed the point of my post completely. I read your original post and understood it the first time; you were trying to make it sound foolish for Nexon to have the Nexon Launcher cater to a subset of the population only to make people "happy campers" because of subjective reasons, when that's what a lot of these Better Maple changes have been doing recently. As a whole, businesses should strive to make their consumers into "happy campers" (not specifically the Nexon Launcher, but anything that would actually make some players happy while not screwing over a large portion of players, such as the UTC change). I don't think we're going to change each other's minds at this point.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »

Sigh, you missed the point of my post completely. I read your original post and understood it the first time; you were trying to make it sound foolish for Nexon to have the Nexon Launcher cater to a subset of the population only to make people "happy campers" because of subjective reasons, when that's what a lot of these Better Maple changes have been doing recently. As a whole, businesses should strive to make their consumers into "happy campers" (not specifically the Nexon Launcher, but anything that would actually make some players happy while not screwing over a large portion of players, such as the UTC change). I don't think we're going to change each other's minds at this point.

no, apparently you didnt understand. You think Im mocking you. the fact you think Im condescending, infers the notion that you think what i wrote was written with sarcasm or a way to mock "subjective reasons". You fail to see that what I wrote was more of a hint at how the suggestion of the direct launcher may have been seen both objectively and subjectively. I'll say it again, what I wrote there has both reasons. not just one.

Im not trying to change your mind, I already said it, Im not against the direct launcher. It just has a weak argument for it right now.
    I even wrote it there, to bring it back as an alternative for those that have technical issues with the nexon launcher but apparently you perceived it wrong.

I used happy campers in a sincere way.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    edited July 2017

no, apparently you didnt understand. You think Im mocking you. the fact you think Im condescending, infers the notion that you think what i wrote was written with sarcasm or a way to mock "subjective reasons". You fail to see that what I wrote was more of a hint at how the suggestion of the direct launcher may have been seen both objectively and subjectively. I'll say it again, what I wrote there has both reasons. not just one.

Im not trying to change your mind, I already said it, Im not against the direct launcher. It just has a weak argument for it right now.
    I even wrote it there, to bring it back as an alternative for those that have technical issues with the nexon launcher but apparently you perceived it wrong.

I used happy campers in a sincere way.

Yes, I did understand. We can go back and forth all we want on that, but let's not. I know you said you're not against the DL, and I made reference to that, but I was pointing out the decision from a business standpoint, and for a much bigger picture than Nexon Launcher. Nexon has done things before for sheer convenience purposes for Better Maple, which you fail to see yourself. Heck, multiple accounts was one purpose of Direct Launcher in the first place. If they really wanted to prevent us from using multiple accounts and shift us toward the Nexon Launcher, they would have removed Direct Launcher ages ago, as they have had single-account visions for a while; Nexon Launcher has been around for around 2 years at this point, maybe more, and we used to have the website launch function, which worked in a similar vein to how NL does now. If Nexon could find a way to use both NL and DL then I'd be on board with that. And at this point we're on the same page in some cases.

As for the "happy campers" term, I know you did, I was using it in quotes to emphasize what you said.