[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Skill Cooldowns? How do they work?

EfficientlyLazyEfficientlyLazy
Reactions: 815
edited August 2017 in General Chat
I heard something about a maximum or minimum of 5 seconds? I don't get exactly what is meant by this, or if it's even true. I hope not, otherwise shaving 2 seconds off of any long CD skill seems really really pointless on a legendary line.

I am hoping to reduce my Orbital Inferno (Blaze Wizard's 5th job skill) cooldown to less than 5 seconds but I don't even know if it's possible.

Comments

• Nick008Nick008
    Reactions: 925
    edited August 2017
    A skill with a cooldown of 5 seconds or less will not be affected by a cooldown reduction potential.
    For example, kanna's demon fury has a cooldown of 3 seconds, so a cooldown reduction potential will not change it.

A skill with a cooldown of more than 5 seconds will be affected by a cooldown reduction potential.
    This could be useful if you have a skill (like a full map attack) that has a relatively short 10-20 second cooldown.

If your skill has a long cooldown, say 1+ minutes, I'd say potential line wont be useful for you.
  • EfficientlyLazyEfficientlyLazy
    Reactions: 815
    edited August 2017
    Nick008 wrote: »
    A skill with a cooldown of 5 seconds or less will not be affected by a cooldown reduction potential.
    For example, kanna's demon fury has a cooldown of 3 seconds, so a cooldown reduction potential will not change it.

A skill with a cooldown of more than 5 seconds will be affected by a cooldown reduction potential.
    This could be useful if you have a skill (like a full map attack) that has a relatively short 10-20 second cooldown.

If your skill has a long cooldown, say 1+ minutes, I'd say potential line wont be useful for you.

Which sucks and doesn't make sense. I would like to have my Orbital Inferno lowered to 3 seconds. Just as it's travelling back to me I would be able to shoot out another one. I understand it would be broken if I could shoot something like that out without any restriction whatsoever. But changing it from no limit to "any skill can't go beyond 5 seconds cd if it's already 5 seconds" seems unfair to classes that already have a shorter cd.

• OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    I understand it would be broken if I could shoot something like that out without any restriction whatsoever. Which sucks and doesn't make sense. I would like to have my Orbital Inferno lowered to 3 seconds.

Cooldown reduction (and also buff duration, when applicable) generally don't apply to hyper skills, 5th job skills, and select other skills, like Aran's Adrenaline Rush. This is because they only intend for you to be able to use it as much as the skill dictates, rather than being able to use it more often, or experience the effects of buffs for longer durations.

But they added a minimum of 5 seconds simply because you could get to a point where you could shoot things like that out (specifically Demon Avenger's Nether Shield), with much less cooldown than intended because you can get multiple cooldown reduction potentials.
    Nick008