[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

The Dream Defender Glitch

krskkrsk
Reactions: 2,980
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2017 in General Chat
I am really disappointed in the way this glitch was handled. First, I question the usefulness of Tespia as this glitch was brought to the staff's attention early yet still was pushed through to the update. This was a KNOWN glitch for well over 2 weeks that was put live in game. I have been told that even beyond that, this glitch existed in KMS, which means there was more than enough time to prevent this issue. To me, that feels like sloppy work on behalf of Nexon. I am also very upset that a warning was not made to the community in order to encourage people not to abuse this glitch. As a result, the people who did abuse this glitch (and as such were able to upgrade their symbols, even by a small amount) are being rewarded for abusing the glitch. I'd really like to hear an official explanation as to why this situation has occurred and why there is no punishment. There needs to be consistency in the rules. Otherwise it seems that the only reward is a handicap.

Hopefully this post gets answered and not just removed, as when i tried to voice my opinion on the official discord I was muted for being displeased.
Its2Sharp4U

Comments

• Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited August 2017
    I am disappointed as well. As a legitimate player I was shamed for being a "potential glitch abuser" in my guild, but the moment Dream Defender came out many of those I knew abused the crap outta it and bragged about it while I haven't touched Dream Defender for that day, even after being fixed. Talking about a double standard.

It goes to show that Nexon has yet again only taken half the action of only closing the loophole. Sure maybe the rankings were reset but people got way more Symbols than they should have and none of them were punished or stripped of their abused rewards. Even the VFMs were cautioning many to not part-take in it, but all those abusers got was a slap on the wrist. A event in the past Hunters Club with unlimited quests which has never made a return also had no punishment.

Yet action was taken onto illegitimate items extremely late which should of been done sooner. This had affected the community as a whole because by that time many items had circulated on the market masked as legitimate items.

Action taken needs to be consistent and on an acceptable amount of time. Many players have complained about hackers throughout many years in MapleStory and they've only grown in bigger numbers. Hackers have been reported by players too, but the actions taken are almost non-existent. Botters that have been reported are most likely still there.

There's also drop rate where the announcement thread for it has been locked. Does that mean that the discussion is over? In fact I believe there has been way too much discussion, and better transparency towards the game. The fact that some things are overlooked or neglected makes the community feel more tainted because of the lack of action that was never taken or too late.

This may be a bit more off-topic but the suggestions are doing too well either. Many of those that get implemented are only half done or lost forever in the void.

These aren't just my words, but fragments from part of the community at times. It's still unacceptable how things are going for MapleStory, which is why I haven't recommended this game to anyone. It has great potential in many areas, but where it's lacking still has a giant void. A legitimate free-to-play core is still being overshadowed by hackers and cheaters constantly abusing the game whether it is real-money-trade, botting, or exploiting.
    krsk
  • Nick008Nick008
    Reactions: 925
    edited August 2017
    Abusing this glitch only goes so far. There is a maximum # of dream coins you can get per day. So, you can only abuse the glitch to a certain extent. In other words, there was already a damage control mechanism in place just in case people were to abuse the exploit. I think I got enough dream coins for 20 symbols before Mr. Flopsy stopped giving me coins for the clears. (sorry nexon! don't ban me!) I usually get 7 symbols / day. The exploit netted me 13 extra symbols, which is not that game breaking.
  • DominikosDominikos
    Reactions: 625
    edited August 2017
    So this was in tespia? what a waste of time on that maintenance... ofc nexon did it again im not surprisd... i dk why they are trying to kill maplestory...
    krsk
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Nick008 wrote: »
    Abusing this glitch only goes so far. There is a maximum # of dream coins you can get per day. So, you can only abuse the glitch to a certain extent. In other words, there was already a damage control mechanism in place just in case people were to abuse the exploit. I think I got enough dream coins for 20 symbols before Mr. Flopsy stopped giving me coins for the clears. (sorry nexon! don't ban me!) I usually get 7 symbols / day. The exploit netted me 13 extra symbols, which is not that game breaking.

"Yeah, I stole that car, but it's not like I took someone's million-dollar Lamborghini. It's just a piece of crap worth maybe $1,000. So I shouldn't be punished at all, right?"
    krskNyvor
  • krskkrsk
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

Action taken needs to be consistent and on an acceptable amount of time. Many players have complained about hackers throughout many years in MapleStory and they've only grown in bigger numbers. Hackers have been reported by players too, but the actions taken are almost non-existent. Botters that have been reported are most likely still there.

I could not say it better myself.
    Nick008 wrote: »

I get that the number of symbols was insignificant, but if you allow how much someone benefits to weigh in, then as long as someone only bots a little, or hacks a little, that should be okay too. The point is that knowingly abusing a glitch shouldn't result in the abuser being rewarded. It doesn't matter how insignificant the reward. If rules can be bent to suit a particularly situation, then what's the point in having rules at all?
    Dominikos wrote: »
    So this was in tespia? what a waste of time on that maintenance... ofc nexon did it again im not surprisd... i dk why they are trying to kill maplestory...

Nexon was aware of this far before Tespia, as KMS dealt with the same issue. What was the point of Tespia then and why did Nexon knowingly allow this glitch to exist in game? Why not just close Dream Defender until a fix was in place? Overall all I can say is this is another example of sloppy work, which has become more and more commonplace at Nexon.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I avoided doing DB when I heard about this. Little bit disappointed nothing is being done about the people who abused the hell out of this. They'll ban for other small issues but not this one? Where's the consistency?
    krsk
  • krskkrsk
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    Yeah, I avoided doing DB when I heard about this. Little bit disappointed nothing is being done about the people who abused the hell out of this. They'll ban for other small issues but not this one? Where's the consistency?

I would at least like something to be said about it. I mean tbh this whole situation is Nexon's fault as they knowingly put a glitched PQ into the game that people could abuse. I would have preferred that they closed DD til the glitch was fixed, or made an official post that warned that anyone knowingly abusing DD would be punished, and then followed through with it. This was another situation in which transparency was greatly lacking. DD is only accessible to higher level players who most definitely have played long enough to understand that glitch abuse should have repercussions. The fact that many people chose to abuse anyways shows that the standard is to not punish but reward glitch abusers. If we want that to change, then Nexon needs to start enforcing their own rules. Otherwise we will continue to see a game environment where hacking, botting, and glitch abuse are acceptable.