[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Legit Blaster on Reboot banned for "hacking"

sleepyguardsleepyguard
Reactions: 665
edited September 2017 in General Chat
This is all over the Reddit, and it really needs some discussion.

[Removed], one of the few legit Reboot endgame Blasters, and a well-known YT content creator in the community, has had his ENTIRE ACCOUNT permabanned for "hacking", with no shown evidence, no ability to appeal, and no recourse available. He has stated that he is quitting due to this event, and I don't blame him- the massive amount of grinding hours required to reach endgame legitly in this game going entirely down the tubes has got to be a devastating blow. If it happened to me I would probably have legitimate depression.

(His explanation of what happened. Literally just DCed from lousy servers on a boss run and came back to a perma account ban.)

He isn't the only one, it seems to be happening more and more recently.

Can we talk about this? It's really disturbing to me as a veteran legit player that people seem to be getting falsely banned left and right, or lose all their hard-won items, and get told "sorry, won't fix, go away now" by GMs, the people whose PRIMARY FUNCTION it is to help players and resolve issues. Think about that for a moment. That's all Game Masters are supposed to do: help players and keep the game running smoothly. That is essentially their only job, and they are effectively doing the opposite.

I've played this game off and on, picking it up and dropping it every couple of years or so essentially since it began, through waves of blatant hackers/dupers/exploiters, massive bugs, ridiculously broken patches, horribly unstable servers, rollbacks that ruined characters, lackluster customer "support" and just general unpleasantness. I still enjoyed the game through all of that, and the game's charm kept me coming back despite the various problems. I came back from a long absence to play in Reboot, because it sounded more like the old Maple I remembered, and I felt nostalgia for the game I used to spend so much time in.

This, however, is the first time I've ever really felt that the game was at a serious low point and in danger of dying. This is the first time I've ever considered quitting for good, out of fear that it might all just get taken away randomly. What is the point of the massive amount of time we put into this game when you can turn around to find yourself banned for "hacking", while simultaneously watching actual hackers walk away scott free? What's the point of risking the massive amount of time investment needed to reach endgame when blatant hackers can reach endgame content in like a week, and either get ignored by the GMs, or just start a new account in the rare instance they actually do get permabanned. It's made me seriously consider finding a better alternative.

Nexon has never been a good company, there have always been problems with them screwing over their own community, but this feels like a serious low point.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2017
    The forums are not the place to post ban appeals. If your friend wants to appeal, he has to do it with the GMs.

I won't lock this thread. I will, however, remove the user's name to prevent any sort of witchhunt or another "#freeclanta" or "#rhinnocent" hysteria.
  • sleepyguardsleepyguard
    edited September 2017
    The point of my post wasn't a ban appeal, really, that was more of an add on. Guy isn't my friend, and supposedly he already did appeal, if you read/watched any of that, they have been ignoring appeals left and right from people. I wanted to open a discussion based mainly on this question:

What is the point of playing this game, grinding through all the levels etc etc, when people are getting falsely banned and losing their accounts while actual hackers are running around still playing?

Are we supposed to have faith that "it won't happen to us" when it's been shown to happen to multiple people?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Are we supposed to have faith that "it won't happen to us" when it's been shown to happen to multiple people?

I mean, I personally make a point to take "I got falsely banned" threads with a grain of salt. I got banned from a forum when I was like, 12, once; I said I didn't deserve it. I totally deserved it (I probably should have gotten banned a lot sooner, but the mods were asleep when I was posting). In some cases, users who have been legitimately banned make announcements about their innocence for the sake of attention, and to tide over their fans. In other cases, they were falsely banned, and they made the thread to legitimately complain.
    I don't know if he's guilty or not, hence the naming-shaming rule. I also don't know if he's innocent or not, hence my skepticism towards these types of threads.

But that's just my personal opinion. Officially, I can't do anything because the forums aren't the place for ban appeals, and I'm just trying to keep people from strangling each other over accusations of who is and isn't hacking. I know there are a lot of legitimate hackers who have been banned, for good reason, and I know a number of people who have been falsely banned, but only a GM can determine his innocence. Not me, not you, not the community.
    So, honestly speaking, all I want to do is not start a fight, and avoid overstepping my boundaries. Hence, leaving this thread open.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    In order to properly have a discussion you have to leave it neutral.

You can't bash nexon right off the bat and then ask what do you guys think (but in all seriousness he's not guilty right?)? Not to mention what really annoyed me was the poll. You basically gave one option worded differently.

I don't know the guy, nor did I really care but if you really wanted to help his case, I would not have come here with pitchfolks and torches burning.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

If you don't know him well enough or isn't your friend as you stated, it shouldn't be your business to bring it up here. Saying "legit" in the title, doesn't prove a point as well. Maybe the person was a hacker and you don't know it.
    The point of my post wasn't a ban appeal, really, that was more of an add on. Guy isn't my friend, and supposedly he already did appeal, if you read/watched any of that, they have been ignoring appeals left and right from people. I wanted to open a discussion based mainly on this question:

What is the point of playing this game, grinding through all the levels etc etc, when people are getting falsely banned and losing their accounts while actual hackers are running around still playing?

• sleepyguardsleepyguard
    edited September 2017
    Fine, I worded it poorly and the poll was a poor decision. Forget anything about any specific person. Main question still stands.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited September 2017
    Fine, I worded it poorly and the poll was a poor decision. Forget anything about any specific person. Main question still stands.

Honestly, it's better to make a post about their autoban system and how they can change it using this guy ban as a exemple.
  • AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    You cannot say the guy is "legit" just by the content he makes.
    There can be youtubers who seem legit with videos and such but they have back up laptops that hack, sell thousands of CS's and transfer the money over.
    Also the history of that account takes place, they can look at your past and ban you for that. Sure he d.ced while bossing that doesn't mean he was banned for nothing.

It's his account; not yours. People hide things from everyone and lie to not get banned.
    I've had my account, i wanna say since 2007?, and never got a ban.
    People hide/lie so they don't get a bad rep for being banned.
    Sure, nexon can make a mistake too, but blaming Nexon for someone else's ban where you know nothing of the account history is just sad.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Your friend is now unbanned. Can you now stop ragging ok nexon for once?

We all get it. We all know it. I'm just sick and tired of listening to it all the time.
  • HakufuHakufu
    Reactions: 1,155
    edited September 2017
    Nexons auto ban has always been a problem. You only have to have to lag(Not that common but happens) or be in a map that happens to have a hacker (already there or cc'd in) and have a second party report you even though you're not the hacker in the map. Then there is the process of trying to convince staff that you're not a hacker and the ban is a mistake but you get the "Sorry we can't help you, the ban will not be reversed" (Nice try, but we assume you're actually a hacker trying to ban dodge so no deal.) automated message.
    Albinorock wrote: »
    You cannot say the guy is "legit" just by the content he makes.
    There can be youtubers who seem legit with videos and such but they have back up laptops that hack, sell thousands of CS's and transfer the money over.
    Also the history of that account takes place, they can look at your past and ban you for that. Sure he d.ced while bossing that doesn't mean he was banned for nothing.

It's his account; not yours. People hide things from everyone and lie to not get banned.
    I've had my account, i wanna say since 2007?, and never got a ban.
    People hide/lie so they don't get a bad rep for being banned.
    Sure, nexon can make a mistake too, but blaming Nexon for someone else's ban where you know nothing of the account history is just sad.
    Yeah standing up for someone you don't know may not make sense, but if it happens to be true that said player isn't a hacker then what does that say about nexon?

I was one of those players that got a false ban in 2006 and was unable to convince staff that I wasn't using using 3rd party programs. Seems they haven't really changed how they do ban appeals in the last 11 years.