[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Absolute Taste Event - Too Random

MisterPooMisterPoo
Reactions: 570
edited September 2017 in General Chat
Is anybody else hating this event? I am stuck on Tier 8 trying to get 3 stars on the dumb spaghetti. I've used 1,000+ boxes worth of pasta ingredients and still have not gotten 3 stars. I have tried every single recipe I have found online and nothing. I have tried my own recipes and nothing. Is there some sort of technique I am missing here?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    I don't know where online you're looking for the recipes. There are some pretty good guides on reddit, and an extraction on southperry. The 4-star recipes are individualized per character, but for tiers 1-10 each ingredient's quantity can either be the one in the "base recipe" or one less than that. For legendary, it can be between -3 and +3 from the base.

For example:
    The recipe in the data for Spaghetti Bolognese is
    Garlic x3
    Spaghetti Noodles x9
    Olive Oil x2
    Tomato Sauce x4

This means your personal recipe can be either 2 or 3 garlic, 8 or 9 noodles, 1 or 2 oil, and 3 or 4 tomato sauce. 16 possibilities.

Furthermore, you can use the Master Chef Feedback, five times a day, to cut down on the random attempts. Just cook the "base recipe", click Gourdon's head next to the "Try Again?" button, and make note of the star grade he gives each of your ingredients. 4 means you got it right, anything else means you need to subtract one. (For the Legendary tier, the exact grade 1-3 helps tell you how far you are from the correct quantity).

Edit: oops, got the garlic quantities wrong
    MisterPoo
  • MisterPooMisterPoo
    Reactions: 570
    edited September 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    I don't know where online you're looking for the recipes. There are some pretty good guides on reddit, and an extraction on southperry. The 4-star recipes are individualized per character, but for tiers 1-10 each ingredient's quantity can either be the one in the "base recipe" or one less than that. For legendary, it can be between -3 and +3 from the base.

For example:
    The recipe in the data for Spaghetti Bolognese is
    Garlic x3
    Spaghetti Noodles x9
    Olive Oil x2
    Tomato Sauce x4

This means your personal recipe can be either 3 or 4 garlic, 8 or 9 noodles, 1 or 2 oil, and 3 or 4 tomato sauce. 16 possibilities.

Furthermore, you can use the Master Chef Feedback, five times a day, to cut down on the random attempts. Just cook the "base recipe", click Gourdon's head next to the "Try Again?" button, and make note of the star grade he gives each of your ingredients. 4 means you got it right, anything else means you need to subtract one. (For the Legendary tier, the exact grade 1-3 helps tell you how far you are from the correct quantity).

Thanks for the very detailed reply.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited September 2017
    I hate how there's more than 1 combination to get 3 stars and it doesn't really reveal that there's even a 4 or 5 star category. So even if you get 3 stars it still doesn't guarantee that +/-3 will get you a legendary dish @AKradian
  • inukiroyainukiroya
    Reactions: 880
    edited September 2017
    Well this is gamblestory
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    AznboiE wrote: »
    I hate how there's more than 1 combination to get 3 stars and it doesn't really reveal that there's even a 4 or 5 star category. So even if you get 3 stars it still doesn't guarantee that +/-3 will get you a legendary dish @AKradian

When you get 3 stars, Chef Gourdon tells you "could use a little more" or something like that. So you know you can do better.
    Also the event notice on the website says there are more stars (it says 1-5, when it's actually 0-4, but at least it says it goes higher than 3) and shows you a picture of what the Chef looks like when he's really happy with your result.

Also, I did not say the correct recipe is +-3 from any 3-star recipe. It's +-3 from the "base" recipe posted for example here or here.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    To give you an idea of how this cooking event works "https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_(board_game)"

It's essentially this but in electronic format. The one guide with a Google doc associated with it gives you the maximum baseline. From what I've done from 1-7 and helped a friend get T9 to 4 stars, I've noticed that it's only -1 at most from the upper baseline.

When you get 3 stars, it means you have at least 50% of the ingredients correct, when it's 2 you have 1-(less than 50%) from my observations. If you land a 1, most likely just complete invert all the recipes and it'll be the 4 star.

You want to find a borderline 2-3 star recipe and then modify 1 each time to find correct ones. If you do this you'll get the correct recipe in the number of ingredients turns. Otherwise you can start to guess the correct recipe combo in half that time.

I haven't found it to be random yet, as long as you're using the upper baseline as a start.