[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

RNG events should have a diligence backstop

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited October 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
(thread from the old forums)

Maple has a lot of events where you do some repeated task for "a chance to get" something good.
We're having it right now with the Dark Lords of Darkness.
We had it in the past with the Hunter's Club and Cassandra's Special Candy, for example, and in a slightly different way with the Madhouse event (not a random reward but random features in the maze).

It is extremely frustrating to do these events diligently every day, and end up with nothing worthwhile.
We Maplers are used to grinding for everything, but grinding for nothing is simple torture.

My suggestion is that these events need to be designed in such a way that if you do them to the best of your ability, you are guaranteed a good reward (not necessarily the best).

There are several ways to do this:

1. Simply give out the reward after some number of unsuccessful tries.
For example, Cassandra should give you the chair (instead of a candy) when you've tried long enough.
For another example, for the Dark Lords, when you open your 150th rack, Doom should tell you, "Wow, you're really helpful! For that, I will let you choose one of our darkest powers," and let you pick a single item.

2. Give some kind of token for every completed task, and allow buying any of the rewards (at a special shop) if you've amassed enough tokens.
This can be refined into giving not a single token, but some number of them, depending on how mean RNG was to you. For example, for the Dark Lords, every Copper item comes with 4 "disappointment coins", Silver come with 2, Gold for the wrong class with 1, and anything better than that gives no coins at all. (Although one might argue that a Dark totem for the wrong class is even more disappointing than any random copper totem...)

3. Increase the odds of getting good rewards with every unsuccessful try, until you are guaranteed to get a good reward on the last day if you did the event every day and haven't gotten anything good yet.
DiannikaPetalmagicDorIts2Sharp4UAggraphineBlazeDashCatoooloooDaxterbeerIvangoldgamechangerand 11 others.

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2016
    Certainly gives an incentive to do all of this manual labor for the NPCs...supported.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Almost no one has ever disagreed with this except for miserly players who got lucky enough to get the best items really quickly. Yet Nexon still hasn't implemented it. I don't see them implementing it anytime soon either unfortunately
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Definitely agree with this. Some of my friends don't even bother doing Hunter's club anymore because of the low chance of getting the rifle bullet. And when you do get the highest tier reward, it could be the wrong item type.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited October 2016
    nah, gonna disagree with this. The point of an "RNG" event is to be "RNG". I could see a diligence reward being done if the event isn't coming back, however in most cases these rng events do come back giving you another shot at the rewards. I see no reason to make yet another part of the game easier.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

nah, gonna disagree with this. The point of an "RNG" event is to be "RNG". I could see a diligence reward being done if the event isn't coming back, however in most cases these rng events do come back giving you another shot at the rewards. I see no reason to make yet another part of the game easier.
    That's why I said "not necessarily the best".
    In the case of the Dark Lords of Darkness, for example, the diligence reward can be a single Dark totem for your class. You'd still need to wait 2 years to get all 3.

And it's not a question of "easier". There's nothing "hard" about an RNG event, it's all luck. As I said in my original post, grinding for rewards is fine, but grinding for nothing is frustrating (and drives people to exploits like the Hunter's Club event. If that event were guaranteed to give an item of your choice if you do your 8 daily runs, people wouldn't be doing 100 exploited runs a day).

An even better suggestion would be to do away with RNG events entirely. Make all events award prizes according to effort made. Like attendances, or Maple Leaf High (sans the p2w element), or event box collecting.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

This isn't making the game easier, its making it more fair. A rather large amount of annual events have their rewards tied behind RNG. The problem is that these event items tied behind RNG are usually BiS gear, and are only available for a few weeks each year. Its simply not fair to allow one player to get lucky and get all of them on the first day of the event, and have orders of magnitudes more players complete the event diligently every day and never even receive 1 item of the second best tier. That's just garbage, and really disencentivizes people from playing the game.

What AKradian is suggesting isn't unreasonable. Guarantee everyone who does the event 1 item of second best/best tier by the end of it if they were diligent. People who got lucky can still obtain more than 1 of the BiS gear on their characters.

This wouldn't be a problem though if these RNG rewards weren't BiS....
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

This wouldn't be a problem though if these RNG rewards weren't BiS....
    If they weren't BiS nobody would even try for them.
    Who'd work for a 1:200 chance at something second-rate, if you could get something better by more straightforward means?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    With Dark Lords of Darkness event coming in the next patch, I think it's a good time to bump this thread.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited October 2017
    I think this shouldn't just be applied to events, but a lot more things in this game. A huge part of this game is based around rng. Not just in the cash shop but everywhere else too.After not getting what you want after a certain amount of tries you should be able to choose.

They kinda have this for CS premium box items. You can trade in items for stamps and buy some of the more appealing items from a npc, but this isn't updated nearly enough nor do the rewards previously changed stay plus it's incredibly expensive. There should be a far bigger list. Basically the list should include every single perma NX item to choose from besides items that have just come out in a recent update.

They could do something with cubing as well. They could make it so you can exchange cube shards to lock at least 2 lines of pot leaving only 1 subject to rng.

List goes on but this type of suggestion is really needed for this type of game.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Bad luck protection is useful to guard against extremely bad luck.