[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Voice Chatting In maple

DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
Reactions: 8,980
edited November 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Add the ability to chat with others using voice (microphone required) I mean it is an online mmorpg. could have like voice chat channels in game per specific categories, just not "all chat" since that would be heck. But a watered down version, limited to party, guild etc group specific.
Lilyflower

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2017
    Oh my god, no. This game is toxic enough without Voice chat.
    CatoooloooSherrixxHorntailxxRaindew
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017
    Unfortunately Petal's most likely right. Voice chat's typically need to be moderated at the bare minimum. If maple wasn't a game directed at "kids" it'd be another story.
    Sherri
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited November 2017
    they should implement it in parties *and at the maximum* include guild chat but no public chat where people will shout the N word for no reason lol

It'd be really helpful during a boss raid because typing takes much longer and the game doesn't allow you to type while using skills at the same time and would be great to communicate when you're using specific skills (binding, to be specific) so that someone else doesn't use their bind right on top of yours.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    edited November 2017
    It specifically details a watered down version without "all chat", just group specific channels
    Lilyflower
    edited November 2017
    AznboiE wrote: »
    they should implement it in parties *and at the maximum* include guild chat but no public chat where people will shout the N word for no reason lol

It'd be really helpful during a boss raid because typing takes much longer and the game doesn't allow you to type while using skills at the same time and would be great to communicate when you're using specific skills (binding, to be specific) so that someone else doesn't use their bind right on top of yours.

boss raids is mainly the reason I bring this up cause youre right, especially with end game bosses where you have to be on your toes
    Lilyflower
    edited November 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Oh my god, no. This game is toxic enough without Voice chat.

I would say reboot is where the toxicity is centered, maybe bera now too after the server jump.
    Lilyflower
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Why reinvent the wheel?

You're right that certain boss raids need quick communications, but people have been using Skype, Vent, and now Discord for that.

Why should Nexon add a voice-chat option, with microphone support, and management of multiple chats (party vs. guild, for example), and the need to somehow censor it in order to keep the game's "child-friendly" rating, when there are perfectly good voice-chat applications available? Besides, if someone's game lags or hangs, they could tell you that on Discord, but not on a voice chat that's integrated into the lagging game.
    MageOfBattlesSherriSlicedTimepandabunniesArgent
    edited November 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Why reinvent the wheel?

You're right that certain boss raids need quick communications, but people have been using Skype, Vent, and now Discord for that.

Why should Nexon add a voice-chat option, with microphone support, and management of multiple chats (party vs. guild, for example), and the need to somehow censor it in order to keep the game's "child-friendly" rating, when there are perfectly good voice-chat applications available? Besides, if someone's game lags or hangs, they could tell you that on Discord, but not on a voice chat that's integrated into the lagging game.

It's something that shouldve been implemented since its inception. However, the point you bring up about if one were to lag, they wouldnt be able to communicate it through voice chat either, but lagging is something that's noticeable.
    Lilyflower
  • GenkaiX1GenkaiX1
    Reactions: 840
    edited November 2017
    I think this is a great idea. It is 2017 and no online MMORPG with Maple-like boss battles doesn't have a in-game voice chat system.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2017
    GenkaiX1 wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea. It is 2017 and no online MMORPG with Maple-like boss battles doesn't have a in-game voice chat system.

FFXIV doesn't really have a voice chat system o-o" and it has actual boss mechanics that require precision.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    Sorry, but not supporting. We already have multiple ways of chatting with people, such as Skype and Discord.
    I don't want to hear little children screaming through their mic, whether it be public or guild/party only.
    Plus to hear somebody say mean things to you through their voice than a text.. well, it hurts a lot more.
    PetalmagicMageOfBattlesSlicedTimeCatoooloooMewBlueberry
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017
    Sherri wrote: »
    Sorry, but not supporting. We already have multiple ways of chatting with people, such as Skype and Discord.
    I don't want to hear little children screaming through their mic, whether it be public or guild/party only.
    Plus to hear somebody say mean things to you through their voice than a text.. well, it hurts a lot more.

Agreed, Skype and Discord are already fine enough to use. Heaven knows how broken and clunky a voice chat in maple would be. I'd be willing to bet that people would still use Skype and Discord over a maple voice chat.
    Sherripandabunnies
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited November 2017
    Dear god no, smegas are bad enough.
    PetalmagicDividedFlowSherri
  • xxHorntailxxxxHorntailxx
    Reactions: 1,860
    edited November 2017
    you're asking for trouble aren't you? if yes, good luck surviving a breakdown cuz i aint helping...i'm just being honest (learned it the hard way and no one cares if ur offended cuz this is the internet even without voice chat). what we have right now is bad enough...
    edited November 2017
    you're asking for trouble aren't you? if yes, good luck surviving a breakdown cuz i aint helping...i'm just being honest (learned it the hard way and no one cares if ur offended cuz this is the internet even without voice chat). what we have right now is bad enough...

what are you talking about
    Lilyflower
    edited November 2017
    It's really not that big a deal, in Combat Arms, you enter a game and you have the option to voice chat or to turn it off. I'll say this for the third time, no one is asking for a public voice chat channel.
    Lilyflower
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017
    I honestly don't see the need in this, I communicate fine with my guild/ alliance over Discord and some friends over skype. also it's not something that "should have been implemented since inception" because that's like saying the SNES should have had built in wireless controller support since it's inception.
    edited November 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the need in this, I communicate fine with my guild/ alliance over Discord and some friends over skype. also it's not something that "should have been implemented since inception" because that's like saying the SNES should have had built in wireless controller support since it's inception.

Wireless tech is different than voice link communications.
    Lilyflower
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

Wireless tech is different than voice link communications.

voice communication applications weren't all that great or widely used when maple was first created (2003) and voice chatting in games was pretty much just starting to be explored with the PS2 and Xbox Live (because the dreamcast was basically DOA)

and the comparison works because there were wireless controllers in the days of the SNES, they were just not great.
  • JacaruJacaru
    Reactions: 1,265
    edited November 2017
    Do I want to hear random 50 year old uncles offering me cash for a little skype convo? You're asking, do I wanna hear their creepy voice?
    NO. THANK YOU, BYE.
    Sherri