[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Does reporting matter? What can we do?

eMsylfeMsylf
Reactions: 320
edited November 2017 in General Chat
Dear Nexon,

Yesterday I revisited MapleStory for the first time in about a year.
First training map I enter: hacker bots. Every channel.
Vac-hack, randomized names, you name it.

I've been playing MapleStory since 2007. Religiously until 2010, on-and-off up to 2017. I have ALWAYS reported hackers. No exceptions.
However, at this point, it's been 10 years since I first saw this happen, and it has never stopped happening. I've reported countless bots, hackers, NX/Meso-website promoters...

Dear Nexon, I have these questions for you:
- Do our reports make a difference?
- Looking back at the past 10 years, would you say you've been able to make progress on handling these people that purely play the game at the cost of others?
- What do you need from us? Help us help you.

My love for MapleStory is undying. I could gush forever to my friends about the amazing, simple yet captivating art-style that defines this game; the gameplay mechanics that are at its core; the music that brings up valuable memories from nearly a decade ago; the community which brought forth amazing things like Maple Music Videos and like Maple Kombat which is now in the process of being finished - 10 years later.

tl;dr:
What can we do, as a community, to make MapleStory the best it can be?
SherriShadowParadox

Comments

• SlayerJSlayerJ
    Reactions: 1,090
    edited November 2017
    This is kind of related but, I've always done my best to report the botters and site advertisers, but for a few months now every time I try to report I get an error message, and it doesn't go through.
    Nexon did however push a ban wave trying to get a lot of botters that liked to utilize Kanna, but it didn't work out very well and apparently many non-hacking players were affected by this, so they reverted it. But that being said, they are at least trying, that's got to mean something.

Welcome back btw.
    eMsylfSherri
  • eMsylfeMsylf
    edited November 2017
    SlayerJ wrote: »
    Welcome back btw.
    Thanks! :)
    Yea I have seen them trying for the last 10 years. It's just never been enough.
    I just want to know how we, as a community, can help out.

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    We need to get rid off the autoban system(including gmpolice hack reason message) and nexon should instead recruit maplers as GMs for patrolling and banning bots.

I think this way the amou t of bots would be reduced

Sherri
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2017
    We need to get rid off the autoban system(including gmpolice hack reason message) and nexon should instead recruit maplers as GMs for patrolling and banning bots.

The Junior GM system they had long time ago (something brigade) didn't work and hasn't returned. If they can hand pick some players who can be trusted and know how to spot a hacker and are actively patrolling, it might work. With that said, the Junior GM system could return if the GMs select the correct candidates and not some player who will be banning legits they don't like or don't know how to spot bots/ hackers.

As a player, I do my role reporting bots as well as shops ran by bots.
  • eMsylfeMsylf
    edited November 2017
    recruit maplers as GMs for patrolling and banning bots.

Sounds good in theory but finding the right people to trust will be where it gets difficult...
    If these reports could get reviewed by a Nexon employee and/or a group of other recruited GM's, it would probably greatly solidify the system.
  • SnowieeSnowiee
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited November 2017

why would you take that risk.

Recruit maplers so they can abuse their power? Sure, this won't apply to everyone, but this is still a bad idea.
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Snowiee wrote: »

why would you take that risk.

Recruit maplers so they can abuse their power? Sure, this won't apply to everyone, but this is still a bad idea.

I am sure there are actually maplers that have control overthemselves and dont ban everyone in sight.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017

I'd love to be given the honor of purging my favorite game of hackers.
    I want to help the game too. >_<
    eMsylf
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017

The autoban system (excluding gmpolice hack reason message) will really help the game if they can get it right. If they can get it to work reliably, I honestly wouldn't mind having to go through another few large ban waves if that's what it took to get there.
    eMsylf
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    edited November 2017
    It's pointless. I used to report them all the time and they are back with just a different randomly mash their face on keyboard name. Everyday it's the same. If Nexon doesn't care.... why should I?
  • eMsylfeMsylf
    edited November 2017
    bootlicker wrote: »
    It's pointless. I used to report them all the time and they are back with just a different randomly mash their face on keyboard name. Everyday it's the same. If Nexon doesn't care.... why should I?

I just hope Nexon is reading along...

That's why I made this post. It's been like this for a decade at least. Together we can make a change, but we will need Nexon's help.