[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.232 Blooming Forest Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Petition] for Nexon to make old IGNs available

ImparatorImparator
Reactions: 540
Posts: 24
Member
edited December 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hi everyone,

Couple years ago, the game League of Legends created a Summoner Name (IGN) clean up system. This system would let the IGN of players between level 1 to 30 whom were inactive for couple months or years (according to your level) be available to be created/used by other active members. If that player were to come online again he would be forced to change the IGN(s) he lost. Of course in MapleStory's case the level system is completely different. But I believe that Nexon could at least do this to all level 1 beginners since they're created by users to either hold them and sell them later which is against the ToS or users that created "X" IGN years ago (but still level 1 or whatever Nexon decides) and doesn't play MapleStory anymore. This would greatly benefit IGN choices of new comers and active players who wanted to name change or create a mule with a specific IGN.

Thank you,

Imparator

[Edit] I forgot to meantion the difference between inactive characters and inactive accounts. What I meant is inactive accounts. So if a character is inactive but the account is active playing in a different character the clean up should not affect them.
  1. Should Nexon create a IGN clean up system?46 votes
    1. Yes
       15% (7 votes)
    2. Yes, but under specific rules (inactive for a long time/level 1/etc)
       48% (22 votes)
    3. No
       37% (17 votes)

Comments

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited December 2017
    There's been a name wipe... event? I don't think that's the word for it, but regardless, we've had one before, and if I remember correctly, it was characters level 1~100, but if you logged into even just one character on the account, your characters account wide would be safe.
  • JointJoint
    Reactions: 1,205
    Posts: 44
    Member
    edited December 2017
    I personally think they should just delete all characters that are low lvl (below lvl 50) that are inactive for 3 or 6 months. Only people who utilize those igns are ones that are saving those names for other characters. With a lengthy time frame you will have plenty of time to use that ign for your mains. Also you can easily just log on and delete and recreate that toon if you want so you don't have to worry about it being wiped. So really the only players that will be affected by this would be ones that have stopped playing . Thus those players probably can care less about losing that ign since they most likely will not return to the game. I also think they should just do a name wipe every year or so. Again only ones being affected are going to be players that have stopped playing the game and can careless about losing there igns.
    Imparator
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    Joint wrote: »
    I personally think they should just delete all characters that are low lvl (below lvl 50) that are inactive for 3 or 6 months. Only people who utilize those igns are ones that are saving those names for other characters. With a lengthy time frame you will have plenty of time to use that ign for your mains. Also you can easily just log on and delete and recreate that toon if you want so you don't have to worry about it being wiped. So really the only players that will be affected by this would be ones that have stopped playing . Thus those players probably can care less about losing that ign since they most likely will not return to the game. I also think they should just do a name wipe every year or so. Again only ones being affected are going to be players that have stopped playing the game and can careless about losing there igns.

    In other words, this.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Joint wrote: »
    I personally think they should just delete all characters that are low lvl (below lvl 50) that are inactive for 3 or 6 months. Only people who utilize those igns are ones that are saving those names for other characters. With a lengthy time frame you will have plenty of time to use that ign for your mains. Also you can easily just log on and delete and recreate that toon if you want so you don't have to worry about it being wiped. So really the only players that will be affected by this would be ones that have stopped playing . Thus those players probably can care less about losing that ign since they most likely will not return to the game. I also think they should just do a name wipe every year or so. Again only ones being affected are going to be players that have stopped playing the game and can careless about losing there igns.

    3 or 6 months is way too short. Some people only play during summer break.

    And low-level characters are not necessarily name-hoarding mules. I have quite a few characters that are low level and rarely used, but serve as storage mules. I would be quite upset if they were randomly deleted.

    We had that name-clearing event which assumed anyone who hasn't played in 3 years isn't coming back, and guess what? Many of them did and do come back. You can see them with their #1234567890 names (that their old names were replaced with) around. So don't be so quick to assume "people won't care."

    Basically this entire thread is because OP couldn't find the person holding the name they want, to convince them to give it up.
    So much for their promise that they'll only take the name if that person agrees.
    YinYangXSherriBooberpuppySlicedTimeTorippi
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    3 or 6 months is way too short. Some people only play during summer break.

    And low-level characters are not necessarily name-hoarding mules. I have quite a few characters that are low level and rarely used, but serve as storage mules. I would be quite upset if they were randomly deleted.

    We had that name-clearing event which assumed anyone who hasn't played in 3 years isn't coming back, and guess what? Many of them did and do come back. You can see them with their #1234567890 names (that their old names were replaced with) around. So don't be so quick to assume "people won't care."

    Basically this entire thread is because OP couldn't find the person holding the name they want, to convince them to give it up.
    So much for their promise that they'll only take the name if that person agrees.

    It is true that I wanted some used IGNs, but I find it ridiculous for a level 1 beginner to hold that name and do absolutely nothing with it. Storage mules doesn't need those types of IGNs, you could literally name them with random pronounciable letters. I specifically added the option "Yes, but under specific rules" to avoid those kinds of stuff.
    And as an example, on LoL, a character that is level 30 ("Max" level, not anymore as of last patches) had to be inactive for 2.5 years so the IGN could be used by someone else. If you're not online for over 2-3 years I think I have the right to assume that you won't play the game anymore.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Basically this entire thread is because OP couldn't find the person holding the name they want, to convince them to give it up.
    So much for their promise that they'll only take the name if that person agrees.

    Not surprised at all considering his attitude on that post and I knew from his tone/English that he didn't mean his promise. -.-
    Imparator wrote: »
    And as an example, on LoL, a character that is level 30 ("Max" level, not anymore as of last patches) had to be inactive for 2.5 years so the IGN could be used by someone else. If you're not online for over 2-3 years I think I have the right to assume that you won't play the game anymore.

    Sure, you have the "right to assume", but that does mean it's reality nor does that mean Nexon needs make a move cause of your "assumption".
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,035
    Posts: 306
    Member
    edited December 2017
    Again? Didn't we have one already?
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Sherri wrote: »
    Again? Didn't we have one already?

    We did, the op is just selfish and wants another one because there's a ign s/he wants and couldn't contact the account owning it.
    Sherri
  • TransformingThunderTransformingThunder
    Reactions: 1,520
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited December 2017
    If you've been inactive for 3 years I think it's totally fine, and other games make this routine so /shrug
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    Ok let me clear this out for you YinYangX, you have 0 idea about who I am in real life and you claim I am selfish. Great. That is completely false. I didn't post this thread for that "Fatih" ign. I already gave up on that one. Next the tone I used in my last post: I had no intention to reflect a bad/greedy attitude and I genuinely meant if owner would accept to name change/delete it to give it to me under no pressure I would take it, that was all, I didn't and had no right to put any pressure on the owner. Again you have 0 idea on how I keep my promises until the very end. Next by "I can assume..." ı meant it on behalf of Nexon. Nexon could very well assume that the player would not come online again and left the game just like the first time they did this.

    Also I warn you to use proper terms and not trash talk about people you don't know enough. If I was under a new name you wouldn't have said any of these so...
  • NeonTwilightNeonTwilight
    Reactions: 860
    Posts: 23
    Member
    edited December 2017
    If you've been inactive for 3 years I think it's totally fine, and other games make this routine so /shrug

    This is not what the "petition" at the start of this thread is asking for.

    A while ago Nexon released igns, I think they went with 3 years of inactivity on the account.

    The suggestion at the start of this thread however is completely different. It makes no distinction between active and inactive accounts, only active and inactive characters within any account, with a stress on level 1 characters, and the time spans mentioned in that post and the one endorsed by the OP a little below it are months rather than years.
    YinYangXTorippiSherri
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    This is not what the "petition" at the start of this thread is asking for.

    A while ago Nexon released igns, I think they went with 3 years of inactivity on the account.

    The suggestion at the start of this thread however is completely different. It makes no distinction between active and inactive accounts, only active and inactive characters within any account, with a stress on level 1 characters, and the time spans mentioned in that post and the one endorsed by the OP a little below it are months rather than years.

    You are right, I forgot mentioning it, really sorry about it. By characters I meant active or inactive accounts, so if a character is inactive but the account is active (playing on a different character) this clean up shouldn't affect them. Thanks for clarifying, I completely forgot mentioning the difference between both.
  • TransformingThunderTransformingThunder
    Reactions: 1,520
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited December 2017
    If you've been inactive for 3 years I think it's totally fine, and other games make this routine so /shrug

    This is not what the "petition" at the start of this thread is asking for.

    A while ago Nexon released igns, I think they went with 3 years of inactivity on the account.

    The suggestion at the start of this thread however is completely different. It makes no distinction between active and inactive accounts, only active and inactive characters within any account, with a stress on level 1 characters, and the time spans mentioned in that post and the one endorsed by the OP a little below it are months rather than years.

    Never said it was, just putting in my 2 cents. Now though, there is a distinction between them.
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,530
    Posts: 123
    Member
    edited December 2017
    There is a game a mmorpg turn based game called wonderland that has a very VERY strict character/account rule that if you are not active (as in log in) for 3 months your account is wiped! all characters, all items, all storage EVERYTHING even cash shop items! i worked my butt off to get secret characters in that game and when i decide to load it back up i have nothing.

    Want to know why it has a strict rule like that its cause they allow you to multi-window the game not bot but multi-window this ment that you would have a party of 5 that could all be you set all the people in your team to auto battle and bam go nuts , suffice to say this is why they made the rule and why nobody would get angry if an account gets rekted.

    If you would apply account wipe/character wipe to maple story you would get alot of angry people, IGN's should only be deleted NOT the character so that when you log on the characters you select will go into the create your name screen instead this is by far a way better solution than just deletion of any player characters.
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    That is correct Krimlock. We wouldn't want the character to get deleted either. Just like the first time they changed the ign to random numbers which is totally fine and would be a better option than deleting the character. That is also why I put this option: "Yes, but under specific rules (inactive for a long time/level 1/etc)". You could add "Not deleting the character" in there too.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Imparator wrote: »
    Ok let me clear this out for you YinYangX, you have 0 idea about who I am in real life and you claim I am selfish. Great. That is completely false. I didn't post this thread for that "Fatih" ign. I already gave up on that one. Next the tone I used in my last post: I had no intention to reflect a bad/greedy attitude and I genuinely meant if owner would accept to name change/delete it to give it to me under no pressure I would take it, that was all, I didn't and had no right to put any pressure on the owner. Again you have 0 idea on how I keep my promises until the very end. Next by "I can assume..." ı meant it on behalf of Nexon. Nexon could very well assume that the player would not come online again and left the game just like the first time they did this.

    Also I warn you to use proper terms and not trash talk about people you don't know enough. If I was under a new name you wouldn't have said any of these so...

    True, I don't know your irl, but the fact you all of a sudden "randomly" petition for a name wipe shortly after your "I want this ign" thread leaves a lot to question, and is it wrong for me to ASSUME that you're doing this cause of the same ign?
    Imparator wrote: »
    Also, I will take the IGN only if he accepts
    I'll ask again, in what other scenario could you take the ign?
    "Only if he accepts" implies that there's another situation which you would be able to take the ign. Again, I had no problem with you asking around for him to delete the ign (despite how most people thought it wasn't going to happen); my whole issue on that thread was that you acted like you had a choice if the person didn't delete the ign even when you didn't, and look at it now, (assuming) you now want a name wipe because you failed. Sounds pretty one-tracked and self centered to me. (Also, pretty sure I'm not the first/only one who "assumed" you made this thread cause of the Fatih ign.)

    Lol, and "Nexon could very well assume that" you want a name wipe cause you failed, same same.

    "Proper terms", you mean text talk? This an online forum for a video game, don't see why people shouldn't use short hand to save time, but sure, if it makes you feel better I can write things out for you. The only "trash talk" I did was say you were "selfish" which I "assume" other people who've seen your other post would at least semi-agree.
    And yes, I probably wouldn't have, but I would probably connect two and two and remember that someone wants an old ign and all of a sudden "someone else" petitions for a name wipe; coincidence? Possible, but not likely.
    Also, "I warn you", warn me of what? So what if I continue not using "proper term", what are you going to do about it? Again, you have absolutely no power stop acting like you can do something in a situation you can't. (Exactly why I'm calling you "selfish" since on the other post and this one you keep acting like you're in control when you aren't.)
  • JointJoint
    Reactions: 1,205
    Posts: 44
    Member
    edited December 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Joint wrote: »
    I personally think they should just delete all characters that are low lvl (below lvl 50) that are inactive for 3 or 6 months. Only people who utilize those igns are ones that are saving those names for other characters. With a lengthy time frame you will have plenty of time to use that ign for your mains. Also you can easily just log on and delete and recreate that toon if you want so you don't have to worry about it being wiped. So really the only players that will be affected by this would be ones that have stopped playing . Thus those players probably can care less about losing that ign since they most likely will not return to the game. I also think they should just do a name wipe every year or so. Again only ones being affected are going to be players that have stopped playing the game and can careless about losing there igns.

    3 or 6 months is way too short. Some people only play during summer break.

    And low-level characters are not necessarily name-hoarding mules. I have quite a few characters that are low level and rarely used, but serve as storage mules. I would be quite upset if they were randomly deleted.

    We had that name-clearing event which assumed anyone who hasn't played in 3 years isn't coming back, and guess what? Many of them did and do come back. You can see them with their #1234567890 names (that their old names were replaced with) around. So don't be so quick to assume "people won't care."

    Basically this entire thread is because OP couldn't find the person holding the name they want, to convince them to give it up.
    So much for their promise that they'll only take the name if that person agrees.

    Storage mules are still just that mules. No reason to use very good igns just for any kind of mules that's just being a bit selfish don't you think? What Nexon could do is just implement a way to find out that you are an active player still. If they see you're still being active on an account but not on these mules then that would white list you off the deletion list of unused igns. They could also implement a "button" of some sort that you you can enter your pic or something that could protect that character from being deleted. Of course this would also require some work on your part to remember to come back in time to lock that character in place so that it doesn't get deleted. However, if you're indeed an active player or know you will come back to the game for sure after a break then this shouldn't be a big issue. As other players stated many other mmos do this already and it's more or less fair game for them do this if you're offline for a good amount of time. Maybe 3-6 months is a bit short. However, after a year of absence is is indeed plausible to think one is not going to return anytime soon. I personally wouldn't care if I took a year long break and they decided to delete one of my toons. It would be my fault for not hoping back in the game to secure my account . It takes a few mins just to log back in the game and reactivate your account. Surely you have that sort of time to spend out of your life.
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    First, I already contacted live chat about that IGN and they said that the account is still active but that character isn't and that is why I wasn't able to see it in rankings. If this clean up do occurs I will still not be able to take that IGN because the account is still active. So your argument that I created this post as a way to obtain that IGN is not valid.

    Side Note: To be honest here, I created this post for another IGN.

    Second, I seriously, but seriously don't understand what you do not understand in the phrase "Only if he accepts"? This means that if the owner accepts to buy a name change (who knows, maybe he's generous and would gladly accept) and change that character's IGN to make it available for me OR he just completely deletes his character because he has no use of it and clear it out for me to take it. As an exemple for this one let's say that I own the IGN you wanted "YinYangX" and you try to contact me. You were able to reach me through X way and you ask me if I can name change that character. Yes or no, if no then you ask me if I can delete that character. Yes or no, yes because X reasons and you can take the IGN from now on, no because X reasons. If both answers are no or you were not able to contact the player then just "K Thanks Bye" and go search another IGN.

    Third, you're right to assume that. I didn't clarify that part, my fault. I would've assumed the same thing. But I explained it in my first 2 statements.

    Fourth, I explained this in first.
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Lol, and "Nexon could very well assume that" you want a name wipe cause you failed, same same.

    Fifth, "I warn you" doesn't necessarily mean that I will do something if you do not continue using proper terms (which is completely off track of what warning means and of what I meant). "Give someone cautionary advice about their actions or conduct." In other words I advise (warn) you not to do it in online chats (aka don't be a d*ck).

    Last, I don't want to have anything with you. You can just write in the post that I forgot clarifying this or that and I would be glad to correct it immediately
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,735
    Posts: 6,220
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Joint wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    Joint wrote: »
    I personally think they should just delete all characters that are low lvl (below lvl 50) that are inactive for 3 or 6 months. Only people who utilize those igns are ones that are saving those names for other characters. With a lengthy time frame you will have plenty of time to use that ign for your mains. Also you can easily just log on and delete and recreate that toon if you want so you don't have to worry about it being wiped. So really the only players that will be affected by this would be ones that have stopped playing . Thus those players probably can care less about losing that ign since they most likely will not return to the game. I also think they should just do a name wipe every year or so. Again only ones being affected are going to be players that have stopped playing the game and can careless about losing there igns.

    3 or 6 months is way too short. Some people only play during summer break.

    And low-level characters are not necessarily name-hoarding mules. I have quite a few characters that are low level and rarely used, but serve as storage mules. I would be quite upset if they were randomly deleted.

    We had that name-clearing event which assumed anyone who hasn't played in 3 years isn't coming back, and guess what? Many of them did and do come back. You can see them with their #1234567890 names (that their old names were replaced with) around. So don't be so quick to assume "people won't care."

    Basically this entire thread is because OP couldn't find the person holding the name they want, to convince them to give it up.
    So much for their promise that they'll only take the name if that person agrees.

    Storage mules are still just that mules. No reason to use very good igns just for any kind of mules that's just being a bit selfish don't you think?

    So your suggested clearing will only free up "very good igns"?

    My mules have names that nobody is likely to want for a main, but they are still meaningful names that help me remember what's on which mule. I would not want them changed to random numbers.
    Joint wrote: »
    What Nexon could do is just implement a way to find out that you are an active player still. If they see you're still being active on an account but not on these mules then that would white list you off the deletion list of unused igns. They could also implement a "button" of some sort that you you can enter your pic or something that could protect that character from being deleted. Of course this would also require some work on your part to remember to come back in time to lock that character in place so that it doesn't get deleted. However, if you're indeed an active player or know you will come back to the game for sure after a break then this shouldn't be a big issue. As other players stated many other mmos do this already and it's more or less fair game for them do this if you're offline for a good amount of time. Maybe 3-6 months is a bit short. However, after a year of absence is is indeed plausible to think one is not going to return anytime soon. I personally wouldn't care if I took a year long break and they decided to delete one of my toons. It would be my fault for not hoping back in the game to secure my account . It takes a few mins just to log back in the game and reactivate your account. Surely you have that sort of time to spend out of your life.

    I know people who uninstall Maple when school starts, and don't install it again until summer vacation. They know they have self-control problems and if they log in while school is in session they will get sucked into playing "just this event" until their grades suffer.

    Granted, that means "only" 10 months off Maple, but still, I wouldn't be so quick to declare that someone "is never coming back."

    Maplestory has almost no really new players. Nearly all "new" players that I see either in-game or on forums/reddit/discord are actually returning players who quit years ago. And sometimes they actually want to keep using their old characters. I don't think it's good business to tell a potential returning customer "we've written you off."
    Sherri
  • ImparatorImparator
    Reactions: 540
    Posts: 24
    Member
    edited December 2017
    Let me repeat it again. We're not here to say X months or X years is enough for clean up. That is Nexon's job and that is exactly why I put an option saying "Yes, but under specific rules", rules that will be chosen by Nexon. We are only here to make our voices heard that we want old IGNs of inactive accounts to be available for us to use.