[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Haven't played in 3 years what's changed?

BelloZeroBelloZero
Reactions: 200
in General Chat
So it's been maybe 3 or 4 years since I last graced this game. What's changed?
I heard about a reboot server should I join that?
How's the grind?
Additional thoughts?
Population?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2018
    A lot of things have happened in the past three years. Notable events, in no particular order, include:
    • The release of the Heroes of Maple blockbuster, as a role-playing dungeon.
    • The revamp of several classes, such as Aran and Evan.
    • The release of fifth job (level 200)
    • The level 200+ area, Arcane River, featuring:
    • The release of the Reboot server, as you mentioned, which has no trading and no scrolling, but allows you to purchase cubes for mesos.
    • The release of the Auction House in GMS, as well as the removal of the Free Market in KMS and GMS.
    • The revamp of several areas, including Korean Folk Town, Omega Sector, Kerning Square, and Mushroom Shrine
    • The release of several new classes:
      • Kinesis, a psychic from Seoul, South Korea, on Earth
      • Cadena, a former Nova princess turned mercenary-thief
      • Illium, a member of the Verdant Flora
      • Ark, a member of the High Flora who was corrupted by a Specter (unreleased in GMS)
  • FlemshinFlemshin
    Reactions: 635
    edited March 2018
    Reboot server is fairly populated. But if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, and you want to experience or get to end game gear yourself, well it will be a long grind. Getting into the 210, 220s isn't horrible but getting the gear you need as a stepping stone to later gear isn't really feasible by yourself. You need to find carrys a guild. some items are possible by yourself, but are rather long to grind out (tryant's gloves) and the endgame "gear" they released with lucid is just downright insane. The drop rate was nerfed a while back, and I have seen people claim it takes 300+ hours to get just the weapon. Personally I have farmed in the area for maybe 5 hours, and do not have a droplet. There is also issues with the auto ban system. Innocent people claimed to have been banned, and as of this recent update, people i have played with have gotten insta banned for meso farming.

I still rather enjoy the game, but if you are trying to get from point A to B(endgame) in a timely manner reboot or this game might not be for you, but there is a community in reboot and it does have its moments.
  • BelloZeroBelloZero
    edited March 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    A lot of things have happened in the past three years. Notable events, in no particular order, include:
    • The release of the Heroes of Maple blockbuster, as a role-playing dungeon.
    • The revamp of several classes, such as Aran and Evan.
    • The release of fifth job (level 200)
    • The level 200+ area, Arcane River, featuring:
    • The release of the Reboot server, as you mentioned, which has no trading and no scrolling, but allows you to purchase cubes for mesos.
    • The release of the Auction House in GMS, as well as the removal of the Free Market in KMS and GMS.
    • The revamp of several areas, including Korean Folk Town, Omega Sector, Kerning Square, and Mushroom Shrine
    • The release of several new classes:
      • Kinesis, a psychic from Seoul, South Korea, on Earth
      • Cadena, a former Nova princess turned mercenary-thief
      • Illium, a member of the Verdant Flora
      • Ark, a member of the High Flora who was corrupted by a Specter (unreleased in GMS)

so I have a maybe 4 or 5 characters on a different server, (I forgot which) I was wondering given what I've heard about Reboot since I'm only a casual player should I stay on the server I initially started on? Or should I have a fresh start on Reboot?
    Also the revamps, guessing the classes are more accessible now?
    So I've got maple points from being away for so long, what do I do with them exactly?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2018
    BelloZero wrote: »
    so I have a maybe 4 or 5 characters on a different server, (I forgot which) I was wondering given what I've heard about Reboot since I'm only a casual player should I stay on the server I initially started on? Or should I have a fresh start on Reboot?
    So I've got maple points from being away for so long, what do I do with them exactly?

Four or five characters isn't too set in, but if you have any emotional attachment to the characters you should continue building on the world you like. Reboot has benefits, but it also has downsides a lot of people don't mention, especially if you enjoy trading.

It depends on what you mean by "accessible", I suppose. Certain classes do require certain playstyles, however. For example, Aran is focused around building combos, maximizing your damage briefly when you reach 1000 combos before dropping you back to 500.

If you have Maple Points, on non-Reboot servers you can sell those for mesos directly by clicking on the "Quick Move" in any town, and selecting the Meso Market (the lady in the pantsuit). Or you could use them to try one of the Evangelion boxes on sale right now. The plugsuits from the Evangelion surprise boxes are going for quite a bit of mesos at the moment, even if you don't get what you like.
    If you're in Reboot, the meso market is not available, but you can buy decorative items and such.
  • BelloZeroBelloZero
    edited March 2018

Four or five characters isn't too set in, but if you have any emotional attachment to the characters you should continue building on the world you like. Reboot has benefits, but it also has downsides a lot of people don't mention, especially if you enjoy trading.

It depends on what you mean by "accessible", I suppose. Certain classes do require certain playstyles, however. For example, Aran is focused around building combos, maximizing your damage briefly when you reach 1000 combos before dropping you back to 500.

If you have Maple Points, on non-Reboot servers you can sell those for mesos directly by clicking on the "Quick Move" in any town, and selecting the Meso Market (the lady in the pantsuit). Or you could use them to try one of the Evangelion boxes on sale right now. The plugsuits from the Evangelion surprise boxes are going for quite a bit of mesos at the moment, even if you don't get what you like.
    If you're in Reboot, the meso market is not available, but you can buy decorative items and such.

I should have clarified, how have they been revamped?
    The world is Bera - how is it for a world?
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited March 2018

The world is Bera - how is it for a world?

Bera's one of the most populated worlds right now, you'll find a lot of people to interact with :)
    Wesleyx3
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2018

Aran and Evan specifically?

Aran focuses on combos, as stated above. Essentially the same as how she functioned previously, however skills no longer consume combo count, and the key-based commands you perform on the arrow keys grant you additional damage. You can turn off the key-based commands and use Aran like any other class. Essentially, your efforts will be focused on obtaining 1000 combos, at which point you will enter Adrenaline Rush, which boosts your attacks and lets you use finisher skills like Hunter's Prey (single-target skill that deals between 1500% and 2000% damage 15 times, depending on how long it's charged) or Storm of Fear (gigantic tornado that draws mobs in).
    Training can get somewhat repetitive because you're mostly using the main attack key, but otherwise I like playing Aran.

Evan now uses 4 job advancements like the other jobs and has been switched to a dual-attack system with Mir. Essentially, you can attack with Mir using skills like Dragon Flash (Mir darts back and forth) or Dragon Dive (Mir slams into the ground repeatedly) and you can attack with Evan simultaneously with skills like Mana Burst (basic magic attack) or Wind Circle (summons a blast of wind in front of you). If you use certain Evan skills while Mir is attacking, they form Fusion Skills (e.g. if you use Dragon Flash followed by Wind Circle, you will activate Wind Flash, where Mir sends out a bunch of blasts in every direction).
    I find it difficult to manage Evan, personally, but this is mostly around earlier levels, which can be boring.

Evan, Aran, and the rest of the hero classes also now have skill voiceovers for both male and female voices. You can turn those off in the sound options.