[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Play with a controller using Steam

TensunkiTensunki
Reactions: 410
edited March 2018 in Game Guides
Controls provided are in order by [Steam/Xbox/PS4] controllers

Launching Maplestory and getting to the Steam Controller Configuration page.

1.) First you'll need to install Steam, then install Maplestory through Steam.

2.) Once they're installed you'll need to Run Steam as an administrator, simply Right Click on the Steam shortcut and choose Run as administrator.
Or if you want it to be permanent Right Click on the Steam shortcut, choose Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and check the 'Run this program as an administrator' check box.

3.) Once that's set launch Steam and go into Big Picture Mode (click on the controller icon in the top right hand corner or hold down your controller's Guide button).

4.) Go into your Library using your controller and launch Maplestory.

5.) Once Maplestory has been launched you can press the Guide button, the button that turns on your controller, for the Steam overlay menu.

6.) On the overlay menu choose 'Controller Configuration'.

7.) From here you can Browse Configs by pressing X/Square or create your own configuration.

8.) If you decide to create your own remember to choose Export Config to save your configuration, you can do this by pressing Y/Triangle, you can create multiple configurations for different classes and switch them out through the 'Browse Configs' option.

Configuration Tips.

Getting More Buttons.

This method is similar to Final Fantasy 14, you can hold down the left or right trigger to apply different skills/items.

1.) Click on 'Add Action Layer' at the top of the page.

2.) Click on your Default action set.

3.) Go to the Left Trigger/L2 or Right Trigger/R2

4.) Go to Binding on the left hand side.

5.) At the top there will be an icon that has 3 circles in a column, click on that.

6.) From the drop down menu you're provided choose 'Hold Action Layer'

7.) Then choose the new action layer you created earlier.

8.) Once this is set click on your new 'Action Layer'.

9.) From here you can now set your dpad buttons and face buttons to whichever skills/items you'd like.

Adding rapid fire.

This option will be helpful for skills you generally need/want to hold down to activate instead of having to manually press it each time.

1.) Choose the button you would like to have rapid fire.

2.) Press the Back/Option button to go into Activators.

3.) On the far right you can turn on 'Hold to Repeat' option and use the slider beneath it to determine how quickly it repeats.

Creating a Macro

Creating a Macro is a quick and easy process in Steam.

1.) Choose which button you would like to perform the macro.

2.) Click on 'Binding' to enter the keys you would like.

3.) Once you're on the binding page press Y/Triangle on your controller to 'Toggle Multi-Button On'.

4.) From here choose the keys in the order you would like them performed.

If you have any questions or tips of your own feel free to leave a comment below.

Comments

• EnvoEnvo
    Reactions: 440
    edited March 2018
    Two questions.

If I do not have a steam controller (I want to use a PS4), how do I do step (4) - launch maplestory using your controller? Maybe I misunderstood the step.

Does this only work for wired controllers or can I use a Bluetooth dongle?
  • TensunkiTensunki
    edited March 2018
    Envo wrote: »
    Two questions.

If I do not have a steam controller (I want to use a PS4), how do I do step (4) - launch maplestory using your controller? Maybe I misunderstood the step.

I personally play using a PS4 controller with the Bluetooth dongle as well. To launch a game using your controller you first need to be in Big Picture Mode. Follow step 3 to get into Big Picture Mode. Once you're in this mode you can use your controller to navigate the menus. Simply go into your Library and choose MapleStory from the list to launch it.
    Envo
  • EnvoEnvo
    edited March 2018
    Tensunki wrote: »
    Two questions.

I personally play using a PS4 controller with the Bluetooth dongle as well. To launch a game using your controller you first need to be in Big Picture Mode. Follow step 3 to get into Big Picture Mode. Once you're in this mode you can use your controller to navigate the menus. Simply go into your Library and choose MapleStory from the list to launch it.

Hey, thanks so much. I did get the controller working with wired - I still need to configure for bluetooth.

Just wondering about this; I only have one PS4 controller right now, and I could pair it to my PC - but then I believe I'll have to repair to my PS4 each time I want to use that console. So I have an old PS3 controller paired right now, do you know if Steam supports controller mapping for those? Should I just map it as an XBox controller?
  • TensunkiTensunki
    edited March 2018
    Tensunki wrote: »
    Two questions.

Hey, thanks so much. I did get the controller working with wired - I still need to configure for bluetooth.

Just wondering about this; I only have one PS4 controller right now, and I could pair it to my PC - but then I believe I'll have to repair to my PS4 each time I want to use that console. So I have an old PS3 controller paired right now, do you know if Steam supports controller mapping for those? Should I just map it as an XBox controller?

I personally haven't ever owned or used a PS3 controller on Steam before, it may recognize it as a PS4 controller or a Generic Gamepad. Either way you can still use it.
  • EnvoEnvo
    edited March 2018
    @Tensuki I was reading earlier that Steam has a rumble emulation feature. Do you know if this can be done for PS4 controllers as well through controller configuration? As in, is there any option to add a rumble for a certain button press? Thanks again!
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Another way to play using a controller without steam is to grab a joypad to keyboard input program (I recommend Anti-micro) and just disconnect your controller once after starting maplestory.
    Maplestory no longer auto-detects controllers other than when first running the program.

You will need to run the program in administrator mode in order to Maplestory to detect it, but it works using the same basic concept as this guide.