[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why do I need to redownload half the game when...

FlemshinFlemshin
Reactions: 635
edited April 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
it updates.. I would like to know why it is set up this way. As someone with slower internet it takes me a long time to download, well anything. I can't even use the nexon standalone launcher as it times out. Steam is the only thing stable enough for my long long downloads. I am left wondering why I have to download half the game file when there is updates as nothing new is added besides taking out the events and adding new ones.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    The Nexon Launcher doesn't actually download "half the game". It only downloads the new or changed stuff, but the way it displays it is by saying how much of the 10GB you already have on your disk has already been corrected. It does have issues with poor net connections and does not recover gracefully (or at all) from connection hiccups. Nexon is aware of this issue and will hopefully fix it at some point. I recommend trying to patch with Nexon Launcher first, maybe you'll get lucky.

Steam's patcher seems more robust, but, unfortunately, it does download entire files if there was any change made to them, which leads to considerably slower patching.
  • FlemshinFlemshin
    Reactions: 635
    edited April 2018
    Bummer, I have tried nexon's launcher plenty of times, and i cannot finish the download, it always times out. Downloading it off steam is 4-6gb usually when it updates, and that takes me multiple days. Difference is I can stay connected to steams servers and not time out, where I can't with Nexons.
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Could you explain in more details ?
    for example : it says that it's downloaded : X GB / 10.2 GB
    and installed : X GB / 11 GB

So how much is it really downloading or installing ?

Here is a picture :
    ffZVwsc.png
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Could you explain in more details ?
    for example : it says that it's downloaded : X GB / 10.2 GB
    and installed : X GB / 11 GB

So how much is it really downloading or installing ?

Here is a picture :
    ffZVwsc.png

In your case it really is downloading 10.2 GB. I don't know why.

Usually it will look something like this:
    V92WJcA7R6ehby_dcqwOFw.png
    In this case, it's downloading 679MB.
    It then uses the data it downloaded to update the installation, and it's telling you how far the updates have reached.

Consider a patch to be like editor's notes on a book that has 300 pages.
    "On page 5, line 18, change 'then' to "than"'
    "On page 144, after line 10, insert this paragraph: 'blah blah blah'"
    "On page 201, delete lines 5-8"
    The "download" will show 1/3, 2/3, 3/3.
    The "installing" part will first show 0/300, then 5/300 (after fixing page 5), then 144/300 (after fixing page 144), then 201/300 (after fixing that page), and finally 300/300 when the patching process sees that there is nothing else to change.