[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why hasn't Nexon America don't a merch store?

TsundereKyuTsundereKyu
Reactions: 2,120
edited April 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I'm like 99.9% certain that many of us would absolutely LOVE to buy plushies. I remember kthnx wanted to make one but things fell through? I'd really love to buy plushies, sketchbooks, posters.....etc. It sucks that the only way to get merchandise is go to korea and catch a pop up store, buy it from ebay, or win it on stream.

Pls nexon give me a pink bean plushie :^(
SlicedTime

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    They haven't actually said why, but I'm assuming it's because a physical store is a bit of a headache which Nexon (as a company that sells virtual items) doesn't quite know how or want to get into. You know: manufacturing, shipping, stock on hand, returns, taxes, etc, etc. Maybe they don't think there would be enough of a demand to make it worth the trouble.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited April 2018
    Nexon does not need a merch store per-say. But, they can definitely benefit from having an online store or licensing out the plushies to Tyco or Bandi. It is the same thing that Pokemon does and it is one of the things that keep them relevant to the younger generation. After a big Marketing Campaign, Nexon should allow plushies and other merchandise to be available for purchase online.
  • TsundereKyuTsundereKyu
    edited April 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    They haven't actually said why, but I'm assuming it's because a physical store is a bit of a headache which Nexon (as a company that sells virtual items) doesn't quite know how or want to get into. You know: manufacturing, shipping, stock on hand, returns, taxes, etc, etc. Maybe they don't think there would be enough of a demand to make it worth the trouble.

They have the pop up stores though :((. If they can do that then why not an online store? I just want to buy plushies fam :C
    RyoMan wrote: »
    Nexon does not need a merch store per-say. But, they can definitely benefit from having an online store or licensing out the plushies to Tyco or Bandi. It is the same thing that Pokemon does and it is one of the things that keep them relevant to the younger generation. After a big Marketing Campaign, Nexon should allow plushies and other merchandise to be available for purchase online.

That would also work. I just.........really want a pink bean plushie ; - ;
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2018
    RyoMan wrote: »

Pokémon is wider known. Not every little kid knows about Maplestory.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2018
    AKradian may be right on this one. Introducing merchandise at this stage wouldn't be the smart move, they may end up losing money. It would've been better say after the first 3 years of Maplestory.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited April 2018
    You're right they could have done merchandising when they advertise the most: In 2003-2005, when the game first launched in GMS and in 2009-11, when they marketed heavily for BigBang. If they could have taken advantage of those time periods in our market, then things might be different.

One reason every little kid does not know about Maplestory, is since 2011, NA have stopped nearly all advertising. Which resulted in fewer, and fewer players frequenting the servers. That is why, in my opinion advertising is so important, and that is why I choose to highlight that issue in its very own topic. Advertising can allow opportunities not only for merchandising, but for a host of things that the NA market have missed out on.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    I doubt a physical store would work in America, since it's a way bigger country than Korea - as in, if they set one up in LA, rip everyone in NY or Hawaii. Which leaves ecommerce as the only option. And I think every time someone suggests an online store, Nexon's always like it's difficult to set it up.

I guess they could possibly set up a physical store in LA, since it's a big city. There used to be a Pokemon Center in New York lol. Wish I could've gone there. But Pokemon's a way bigger IP.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally, since everyone is talking about the merch at the Fest), former CM @KThxBaiNao answered this one on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/8aup5a/maplestory_facebook_team_has_no_chill/dx2ymyr/

• TsundereKyuTsundereKyu
    edited April 2018
    Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally, since everyone is talking about the merch at the Fest), former CM @KThxBaiNao answered this one on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/8aup5a/maplestory_facebook_team_has_no_chill/dx2ymyr/

bless for this post
  • RyoManRyoMan
    edited April 2018

That is why I propose they advertise their events, by doing the same tactics they use in 2010. Viral Cosplay style videos http://www.butcherbirdstudios.com/maplestory-introduces-three-new-character-classes-2/

Those types of videos are very cost effective these day and many social personalities do them for free/very little cost. They were ahead of the curve then for the trends of that time period and they can get there again. If they can capture a wider audience to this game outside of the current players and attract new faces, they can at that point in time open up an online store.