[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Have you seen the Nintendo Switch yet?

KamiNoBeniMizuKamiNoBeniMizu
Reactions: 1,375
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
Here it is. Official source!

http://www.nintendo.com/switch
Neospector
  1. Do you think the NS is cute?6 votes
    1. I think the previous consoles are cuter
       33% (2 votes)
    2. Just as cute as the other ones
       17% (1 vote)
    3. Even cuter than the other ones
       50% (3 votes)
    4. What is this?
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited October 2016
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    It's been a while Since i've been hype for a Nintendo console other than the 3DS
  • KamiNoBeniMizuKamiNoBeniMizu
    edited October 2016
    For those that didn't follow too much info about the gaming world, this is the famous NX some might have heard of. It seems to be a powerful tablet-like device that will hopefully not burst into flames (sorry...). It also has the advantage of previous Nintendo handhelds in that it has cartridges, which means physical purchases for those that don't like digital (especially when it costs $60+).

Considering it is a handheld that can be used as some sort of home console, it is a safe purchase (IMO). Reminds me of the GameCube add-on that allowed us to play GameBoy games on the big screen.

Here is a GameSpot article.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-everything-you-need-to-know/1100-6444673/

1:We don't know how powerful this device is (it should AT LEAST be on par with the Wii U if it can run the new Zelda).
    NOTE:A portable Wii U that is quite thin? Yes please!

2:We don't know how good (or bad) the battery life is.
    NOTE:5 Hours is fine to me.

3:We don't know how much space it has, and if it will allow people to put SD cards in it.
    NOTE:It better have it. The 3DS allowed you to have one after all!

4:We don't know the launch library (obviously).
    NOTE:Most launch libraries are bad, or "meh".

5:We don't know if it has a touch-screen.
    NOTE:Not a deal breaker if it doesn't have one.

6:It is not compatible with Wii U or 3DS games physically, but there is still "hope" for digital purchases. And IF there is a touch-screen, it "might" be fully compatible with all 3DS and Wii U games digitally.
    NOTE:But it's true that if there is no gyroscope, it's useless...

7:We don't know if it'll heat up a lot.
    NOTE:If it does heat up badly...

8:We don't know the price, but we can expect it to cost at least $300 like the Wii U.

9:We don't know if it can take photos.
    NOTE:By watching the video, I haven't noticed any type of len. But maybe it was there, who knows for now.

This image shows the POSSIBLE developers for the Switch. Most of the companies after Warner Bros are engine companies (excluding Epic Games that also create games, and maybe DeNA).

As you can see, what is very interesting is that Activision, Bethesda, EA, GungHo, Ubisoft, and Warner Bros are listed. These companies are not usually developing for handhelds (GungHo is the one that created Ragnarok if I am correct, and they also did Ragnarok DS and Ragnarok Odyssey on Vita), and in Ubisoft's case, their handheld games are quite questionable in terms of quality most of the time , especially on Nintendo handhelds. So this will be interesting to see what they'll do with a handheld as powerful as this.

Even if Nintendo said this wouldn't replace the Wii U or 3DS, it is hard to believe. We "can" expect games from indies, and 3DS-like games on this device (and it should work considering it is some sort of hybrid). I doubt it will only receive "big" titles such as Just Dance, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Batman Arkham Asylum.

Since Bethesda allowed Nintendo to showcase Skyrim in the Switch's reveal trailer, we can expect the device to be more than meets the eyes. Why am I saying this? Bethesda is known to not be a crappy company despite not always being on-point (they did make people pay $5 for a piece of horse armor at one point, just search Bethesda Horse Armor DLC on Google, you'll see all the backlash this caused).

But having them on board while they ALWAYS ignored Nintendo devices in the past means something about it. And who knows, maybe Microsoft will make a new deal with Nintendo. Minecraft did release on Wii U after all (which was surprising). Nintendo might well go "neutral" instead of being in the competition against Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has the gaming handheld market (the mobile market is not dedicated enough and is quite chaotic and unsure from what I've seen) solid in their grasp, so I think dedicated gaming companies could love to develop for a gaming dedicated "tablet".

All in all, it seems more promising than the Wii U. As I see it, it is a VERY powerful handheld that will take a lot of time before being replaced. People SHOULDN'T treat this as some home console, or they will be VERY disappoint. It is literally a handheld that is as powerful as a Wii U.

In fact, it is the same concept as custom PS4s or XB1s. Or dual PS4/XB1 devices that can be taken on travels (however, they are FAR MORE bulky than the Switch).

Err... I hope I didn't sound too confusing this time. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it if you do end up buying it! I know I will (and I am rarely wrong in terms of gaming)!
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    >Sees Silicon Studio and Marvelous is in the list

Come on Senran Kagura Switch and a Bravely second Sequel.

• NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    If Atlus ever ends up making an Etrian Odyssey game for this thing and not something in the DS family I'm gonna cry because no money for more consoles. D:
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    The Switch is what the Wii U should've been :/ When I saw the Wii U, I was like, "sweet, so I can take the GamePad to go?" Bought one, flipped it on, then went outside "connection to the Wii U has been lost" lol.

Also, no Animal Crossing for the Wii U then? (screw Amiibo Festival) Was waiting forever for it... Woulda been so perfect too, with the GamePad and all.

And from the way they showed Skyrim, I'm hoping that opens the door for other big-name companies to develop for the Switch. Even though I'll probably be playing their games on PC, it might be interesting to try out their games with the Switch controller (and also taking it on the go).
    edited October 2016
    Indeed, Silicon Studio is not an engine developer, and From Software makes a return to Nintendo devices which is a nice addition.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/529740-lost-kingdoms
    This is what they did on the GameCube. This game interested me a lot back in the days. Actually, I still want it...

Oh right, Skyrim is not confirmed for the Switch even if it was shown in the trailer. I hope it gets on it. If the sales are good, it'll be a good example for other companies that "M" rated games can do well on Nintendo devices again, and they don't need to be "messed up" "M" rated games either.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2016
    The Splatoon fandom blew up as well, since the Switch trailer showed some interesting updates (hairstyles, pants, gloves).

And I'm all...

Of course, I'm hoping it's an update and not an entire new game. I love Nintendo and all, but I really want them to keep the integrity of Splatoon, and a "Splatoon 2" would just be a giant moneygrab. I don't want them to pull a Pokemon and releasing brand new games that only work on the brand new consoles every year. I sure as hell don't want to pay another $60 just for what's so far 1 new map and some hairstyles.

Nintendo has so much potential in the DLC/Amiibo market and I think they're mostly wasting it on a couple gimmicks. I mean, think of how much money they could have made by making the recolored Inkling Amiibos have extra missions. It's just...ugh...such wasted potential.
    edited October 2016
    ^Oh, you became a volunteer? Sweet~ Anyway, yup. They could use the Amiibos in a slightly better way than they currently are... They're physical add-ons after all!

As for Splatoon, I hope that if they do re-release the best sellers of the Wii U on the Switch, they did backward compatibility as well (but I guess backward compatibility is a pain in the neck to program). And I hope it won't have "extra" content. There's a limit to how much you can double-cross the first wave of consumers.

Even if I didn't buy Hyrule Warriors (don't even have a Wii U), I still think it was kinda a low blow to re-release the same game with extra content on the 3DS. It's as if they were saying "you definitely should have bought a 3DS guys!", the extra content could have been released as paid DLC at least (or free if they REALLY felt generous), for the original Wii U version.

Only time will tell how Nintendo will treat the Switch. But I hope they do it in a good way!
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    KamiNoBeniMizu

As for Splatoon, I hope that if they do re-release the best sellers of the Wii U on the Switch, they did backward compatibility as well (but I guess backward compatibility is a pain in the neck to program). And I hope it won't have "extra" content. There's a limit to how much you can double-cross the first wave of consumers.
    I think they confirmed no backwards compatibility disc-wise. I'd think digital purchases would fall under this, too (or else I'd be mad, cuz I always buy physical - I like having the case to look at and store in little shelves lol. wish they'd do physical game manuals inside the case again). A Splatoon remaster or sequel would be cool though. When the Switch comes out, it'll have been near two years since Splatoon's release. Would like to see 1080p 60fps, playable octolings (waaaay overdue), new vs. game modes, a horde/firefight mode, among other things. Maybe a campaign mode that expands more on the story, too.
    KamiNoBeniMizu

Even if I didn't buy Hyrule Warriors (don't even have a Wii U), I still think it was kinda a low blow to re-release the same game with extra content on the 3DS. It's as if they were saying "you definitely should have bought a 3DS guys!", the extra content could have been released as paid DLC at least (or free if they REALLY felt generous), for the original Wii U version.
    I didn't really mind Hyrule Warriors' 3DS release lol. Wasn't the extra content just new characters? To me, every character in the game seemed to play the same. Mash buttons, spam dodge, win. The map thingies (forget what they were called) played the same, too. I bought the season pass for the Wii U, got bored after like, two maps. Only thing that was worth was the extra campaign missions that showed the perspective of Lana's evil twin (also forgot her name - been a while since I played lol. at first I guessed it was Lana's name backwards, but........).

• SandwichSandwich
    Reactions: 2,830
    edited October 2016
    I like how they kept telling us "THIS IS CALLED THE NINTENDO SWITCH. IT'S A NEW DEVICE."
    They've learned, I guess.

The way this console is set up though makes me super hype if they're going to put any decent fighting games on this thing.
  • GreenSoap1GreenSoap1
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited October 2016
    The 3DS had MapleStory: Girl of Destiny, let's see if this gets any interesting games :)
    edited October 2016
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

KamiNoBeniMizu

I think they confirmed no backwards compatibility disc-wise. I'd think digital purchases would fall under this, too (or else I'd be mad, cuz I always buy physical - I like having the case to look at and store in little shelves lol. wish they'd do physical game manuals inside the case again). A Splatoon remaster or sequel would be cool though. When the Switch comes out, it'll have been near two years since Splatoon's release. Would like to see 1080p 60fps, playable octolings (waaaay overdue), new vs. game modes, a horde/firefight mode, among other things. Maybe a campaign mode that expands more on the story, too.
    KamiNoBeniMizu

I didn't really mind Hyrule Warriors' 3DS release lol. Wasn't the extra content just new characters? To me, every character in the game seemed to play the same. Mash buttons, spam dodge, win. The map thingies (forget what they were called) played the same, too. I bought the season pass for the Wii U, got bored after like, two maps. Only thing that was worth was the extra campaign missions that showed the perspective of Lana's evil twin (also forgot her name - been a while since I played lol. at first I guessed it was Lana's name backwards, but........).

I see what you did there...! ;)