[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.219 Awake: Flicker of Light Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Request] Optimization and Clean-up of The Game

PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
Reactions: 3,190
Posts: 480
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I would like to suggest an optimization/clean-up of the game.

Now; it was asked/requested many times already but i have a suggestion on how to execute it this time!

Make a separate Huge Optimization and clean-up of the Client and game's database and files,
what do i mean by that ?

Just make a separate patch and work on it as much as possible in the background or on the-side.

Make it separate from the KMS and Non-KMS Updates, so this patch will not have a Dead-Line and could be worked on as much as needed to iron out and fix all of the bugs and the messed up code and whatever else is clogging up global maplestory' client.

Try to clean up all of game's database, client, unused stuff that resides in the client like; S-Rank Nebulites and other CMS/TMS stuff.

Just work on it as much as possible and as much as needed take all the time that you need with this patch.

With the help of not having a deadline (or the lack of not having a deadline) Unlike kms or non-kms updates you could take as much time as you need to fix everything that is wrong, miscoded, etc and once it's done just apply it to GMS and we will hopefully have a bug-free, smooth running client.

That's my request to the Global MapleStory Developer Team.
JakeofJakeAcgnoliaLyeden
  1. Should the GMS Devs try and apply my plan on making a separate huge clean-up patch without deadline?9 votes
    1. Yes this will benefit everyone and the lack of a deadline should make things easier
       56% (5 votes)
    2. No it's unrealistic and consumes way too much time and resources
       44% (4 votes)

Comments

  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,145
    Posts: 5,947
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    Disclaimer: The following is my own opinion and conjecture, and is not based on anything I have been told as VFM.

    You know how sometimes we get bugs fixed, and then the fix comes undone at the next major patch? Or text that was already in English goes back to Korean?

    This leads me to believe that whatever Nexon uses for code version management (software and/or procedures) is very flawed. And is definitely unsuitable for anything like what you describe. There would be no practical way to merge this "side project", once it's "done" (are such things ever truly completed?) back into the main development tree without the whole game breaking down.
    SlicedTimeArgentLyeden
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,190
    Posts: 480
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    Disclaimer: The following is my own opinion and conjecture, and is not based on anything I have been told as VFM.

    You know how sometimes we get bugs fixed, and then the fix comes undone at the next major patch? Or text that was already in English goes back to Korean?

    This leads me to believe that whatever Nexon uses for code version management (software and/or procedures) is very flawed. And is definitely unsuitable for anything like what you describe. There would be no practical way to merge this "side project", once it's "done" (are such things ever truly completed?) back into the main development tree without the whole game breaking down.

    i get what you are saying and it's definitely a possibility, but that still doesn't mean that nexon america/the korean global maplestory dev-team; should just throw their hands up in the air and give up on trying to fix GLOBAL MapleStory. (we still got a lot of stuff to fix/add/re-work)
    i can make a WHOLE LIST of what needs to be added/re-worked/fixed in Global MapleStory. :P

  • EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,310
    Posts: 120
    Member
    edited August 2018
    following the posts above I can only say it won't happen at all. Not because it's too time-consuming but because taking down a game longer than potentially necessary is not good. And you'll have people complaining about this decision to optimize the game. So they find it BAD when something gets IMPROVED. Which is a dumb mindset but nothing you want to grow stronger. I wish a lot of optimizations would happen, even if it would mean it takes a week or more. But sadly that is a very smart portion of people who thinks like that.
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,190
    Posts: 480
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Enokumo wrote: »
    following the posts above I can only say it won't happen at all. Not because it's too time-consuming but because taking down a game longer than potentially necessary is not good. And you'll have people complaining about this decision to optimize the game. So they find it BAD when something gets IMPROVED. Which is a dumb mindset but nothing you want to grow stronger. I wish a lot of optimizations would happen, even if it would mean it takes a week or more. But sadly that is a very smart portion of people who thinks like that.

    but the thing is; it won't need to take a week+ since they aren't taking down the main game to optimize/work on it but rather, making a separate patch on the-side (in a separate client) and working on that as much as possible to iron out all the bugs, glitches and everything else until it's completely polished before porting that over to the main game/client.

    i've mentioned it here: "Just make a separate patch and work on it as much as possible in the background or on the-side."
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,085
    Posts: 377
    Member
    edited August 2018
    The problem is that GMS is the regional dump for the major clients of maple (KMS, JMS, TMS). Once upon a time the GMS team had sovereignty over its own game and therefore added, modified and maintained game content to their own discretion (more or less). It wasn't perfect but it was far more stable than the current situation. The higher ups seem to have pulled the plug on independent development in GMS in the course of recent history.

    And now we're stuck in this situation where we just keep adding recycled code on top of our legacy code and hope it doesn't blow up. And there is really no long term plan. The standard protocol seems to just consist of band aid fixing surface problems as soon as they come up. It isn't surprising, we are extremely faint on the revenue radar so naturally there is nothing more we get beyond localisation. I highly doubt what you're suggesting would get a single nodding head in the board room meetings at nexon HQ.

    Even so, the whole situation is deeply convoluted. KMS pretty much does its own thing and is blind to any changes made to other regions. This causes a TON of problems from glitches to class exploits to equipments being abrogated. I don't really see a clear solution to this as far as GMS is concerned, we've already committed to being the dump of the maple world so even if KMS annexation could solved this whole mess in one fell swoop, it is out of the picture.

    We just have to make the best of our situation and hope we don't become the next MapleSEA.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,650
    Posts: 1,252
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    ShadEight wrote: »
    The problem is that GMS is the regional dump for the major clients of maple (KMS, JMS, TMS). Once upon a time the GMS team had sovereignty over its own game and therefore added, modified and maintained game content to their own discretion (more or less). It wasn't perfect but it was far more stable than the current situation. The higher ups seem to have pulled the plug on independent development in GMS in the course of recent history.

    And now we're stuck in this situation where we just keep adding recycled code on top of our legacy code and hope it doesn't blow up. And there is really no long term plan. The standard protocol seems to just consist of band aid fixing surface problems as soon as they come up. It isn't surprising, we are extremely faint on the revenue radar so naturally there is nothing more we get beyond localisation. I highly doubt what you're suggesting would get a single nodding head in the board room meetings at nexon HQ.

    Even so, the whole situation is deeply convoluted. KMS pretty much does its own thing and is blind to any changes made to other regions. This causes a TON of problems from glitches to class exploits to equipments being abrogated. I don't really see a clear solution to this as far as GMS is concerned, we've already committed to being the dump of the maple world so even if KMS annexation could solved this whole mess in one fell swoop, it is out of the picture.

    We just have to make the best of our situation and hope we don't become the next MapleSEA.
    I think at this point the best option for GMS is to just become a 1:1 copy of KMS. This means a lot of content is cut, sure, but it makes the game run a lot more smoothly.
    Now if this were to happen we would lose a lot of content, including some classes, but if that content was added at the cost of stability of the client, I hate to say that (imo) it never should have been allowed to be created in the first place. I would personally support a 1:1 KMS conversion even if it meant we had to skip a patch season or two.
    MMOs are in a constant state of decay, new life has to be breathed into it or else players drop out of the game. I think it would benefit all versions of Maplestory to have one game that all the development teams contribute towards. This is easier said than done, but I personally think this is what needs to be done.