[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Practically a Nooblet! XD

LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
Reactions: 1,285
edited October 2018 in General Chat
Here's my reaction to maplestory soo far:

Me: Wow! Game still feels like old times, but what the...
NPC: We now give you free respawn tokens and safety charms.
Me: Okay... I mean I didn't really need them before. I just usually take the punch.
NPC: Here's a free node stone!
Me: Okay... what is it for...?
NPC: You can only use it on the 5th job!
Me: *Toss it, and hear a slime squeak in the background* Oh... Sorry!
NPC: We got fishing now!
Me: Huh! I like fishing..., but
NPC: It comes with these quests.... (12 more quests pop up!)
Me: Oh dear God!
NPC: Hey!
Me: What now?
NPC: We got a maple guide for you take a look!
Me: What is this? Maplestory "Disneyland Edition"! You kinda killing the explorations vibe. (If you know where this joke came from you get 1000 cool points)
NPC: We now have Star Armour! That allows you to only go to certain areas of the map!
Me: Oh my Gosh!

Literally! You guys get a lot of stuff. I mean... I remember when it was a bit more simpler. I am sure it can't stay that way. Don't worry I am open to change, but Dear God!!! How can you guys breathe? Heck! I am not even going to touch Reboot.... (After what I read, it's okay guys. You can have reboot. I am totally fine where I am.) It's amazing that you guys get some nifty stuff that I wish I had when I first came to maplestory long ago, but boy do I need to relearn some things. I learned that most quests I remember (even my favorite ones like the older mushroom theme dungeon) is gone. Places are chained up for some reason like the beach. And, I am happy with the change and all for you guys keeping this game alive. Heck, I wonder? Is it still as fun?
SlicedTime

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Most people take the punch anyway; bosses no longer reduce EXP when you die inside. Buff freezers, on the other hand, are still valued.

Nodestones are actually very useful, unless you were hurting for space or the item was time-limited, you probably should have just saved it (I have about 20 saved on my Scania character from when 5th job was first released).

Fishing isn't really done, although it can be a nice break.

Maple Guide is one of the most useful things in the game. The number of recommended locations will increase as you level, but if you complete the stamps offered by the guide (usually by killing some number of mobs in the area), you can teleport to that area any time you please (except for bosses, which are available as long as you meet the level requirement).

Star Force is a very useful thing to have, as it gives free stats for mesos. Star Force areas give good EXP as well.

Mushroom Kingdom was removed and replaced with the sequel, Mush Ado About Nothing. So it's still "there" but not as you remember it.

The places that have chains around them are on the backburner for Nexon to revamp and overhaul. The only currently locked areas are Tera Forest and Florina Beach. While Chryse is blocked off on the world map, it's available as a party quest (1-6 players) called "Xerxes in Chryse" at level 110.
    Omega Sector, Korean Folk Town, Kerning Square (now Kerning Tower), and Mushroom Kingdom were previously locked and were revamped and overhauled with new storylines, while the Ellinia Forest area was changed into the Kinesis class starting area.
    While KMS has acknowledged in the past that they're far behind in revamping these areas, they've been focusing on other areas (the Black Mage/Tenebris storyline, and now the Darmoor/Grandis storyline it looks like).
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    edited October 2018
    EDIT1:

Most people take the punch anyway; bosses no longer reduce EXP when you die inside. Buff freezers, on the other hand, are still valued.

Good to hear! Wow! You mean I can fight Zakum (Wait is Zakum still the most powerful boss? He doesn't look like it anymore.) and don't have to worry about anything. Well, no fear of death in that department. I didn't really understand buff Freezers, but it does sound kinda handy.

Nodestones are actually very useful, unless you were hurting for space or the item was time-limited, you probably should have just saved it (I have about 20 saved on my Scania character from when 5th job was first released).

Well, I could, but the one I did have was untrade-able to begin with and.... it was on a mock character. So, it went down with the ship. Good to know that there are trade-able types

Cool Beans

Maple Guide is one of the most useful things in the game. The number of recommended locations will increase as you level, but if you complete the stamps offered by the guide (usually by killing some number of mobs in the area), you can teleport to that area any time you please (except for bosses, which are available as long as you meet the level requirement).

Huh? To be honest, I actually did notice it, but at first I thought it was an annoying pop up. I kept closing it out every time. It's good to know that it has some usefulness. Though, I have my feelings about it because it makes it a bit to linear for explores, but atleast it a chose to follow it or not which I am happy about. Though, I can't help it that the map looks like a disney world map. First go here, than there, and then go here!XD

Star Force is a very useful thing to have, as it gives free stats for mesos. Star Force areas give good EXP as well.

It sounds useful. So far as I read on forums... it sounds more like a headache to deal with.

Mushroom Kingdom was removed and replaced with the sequel, Mush Ado About Nothing. So it's still "there" but not as you remember it.

Awww, but that was fun. I guess that will still remain in my memories. That was the time where you had to fight mushrooms in the castle and climb the vine to infiltrate. It also reminds me of mario for some reason.

The places that have chains around them are on the backburner for Nexon to revamp and overhaul. The only currently locked areas are Tera Forest and Florina Beach. While Chryse is blocked off on the world map, it's available as a party quest (1-6 players) called "Xerxes in Chryse" at level 110.
    Omega Sector, Korean Folk Town, Kerning Square (now Kerning Tower), and Mushroom Kingdom were previously locked and were revamped and overhauled with new storylines, while the Ellinia Forest area was changed into the Kinesis class starting area.
    While KMS has acknowledged in the past that they're far behind in revamping these areas, they've been focusing on other areas (the Black Mage/Tenebris storyline, and now the Darmoor/Grandis storyline it looks like).

It's good to hear they will be opened back soon. Thank you for all the info. I'll keep some of the things in mind since I am now on a more serious character I am building. Thank you for also clarifying other things as well. :)

• NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    Zakum is not the most powerful boss, although he was revamped so that his fight requires a bit more skill and a bit less "heal whenever he spams the full-map attack".
    The current strongest boss in GMS is Hard-mode Will in terms of both raw HP and mechanics.
    When the Black Mage update hits GMS, the strongest boss will then be Verus Hilla (called "True Hilla" in KMS), Guard Captain Dunkel, and finally the Black Mage himself (split up into the Gods of Creation/Destruction, the Black Mage on his throne, and the Black Mage made entirely out of light. He has a fourth phase where you fight him in Nonexistent Space, but I'm not sure if this is story-mode only).
    edited October 2018
    Edit 1:
    Wow... This is like final fantasy with the many forms of the black mage. If you ever make a theme song for the black mage, pay omage to final fantasy boss themes. There was one area that has a final fantasy theme, but it is not exact. That would be soo awesome.
  • DiximaNDiximaN
    Reactions: 1,390
    edited October 2018
    Neospector wrote: »

Wait wat?
    Neo City is about to come back?
    edited October 2018
    DiximaN wrote: »

Wait wat?

Soooo, what's neo city may I ask?

• NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    Wait wat?

Not in the near future, unless GMS adapts JMS's Neo Tokyo.
    The areas are still closed in KMS, as of their HalloweenxHaste patch.

Neo City was the area in Tera Forest. The plot was, a time traveler named Andy arrived from the year 2503 from a stereotypical "destroyed by rogue robots" future, but his time travel failed, so you (the player) are tasked with obtaining parts for his Time Diver device, then traveling to 6 different years:
    • 2021: An average town where you save a couple of kids from slimes. One of the kids mentions in passing wanting to design robots to help keep everyone safe
    • 2099: A harbor at night, where the player fights off a large mecha (Bergamot)
    • 2215: A bombed city center in the middle of a robot uprising where the player fights an android named Dunas.
    • 2216: The same city, one year later
    • 2230: A dangerous tower where the player fights another android, Oberon.
    • 2503: The air battleship Hermes, where the player fights off another battleship, the Nibelung.

Honestly, while Oberon and Bergamot have really cool designs and the BGM will always hold a special place in my heart, it was extremely lackluster, incoherent story-wise, and basically dropped off with no real resolution. That, and Nibelung as a final boss isn't nearly as cool as the image sprite has you believe; even Pianus is slightly cooler looking, if for nothing but ambiance. You can still fight the mobs in the Monster Park, though.
    LoyalHeartTiger
    edited October 2018
    Wait wat?

Not in the near future, unless GMS adapts JMS's Neo Tokyo.
    The areas are still closed in KMS, as of their HalloweenxHaste patch.

Neo City was the area in Tera Forest. The plot was, a time traveler named Andy arrived from the year 2503 from a stereotypical "destroyed by rogue robots" future, but his time travel failed, so you (the player) are tasked with obtaining parts for his Time Diver device, then traveling to 6 different years:
    • 2021: An average town where you save a couple of kids from slimes. One of the kids mentions in passing wanting to design robots to help keep everyone safe
    • 2099: A harbor at night, where the player fights off a large mecha (Bergamot)
    • 2215: A bombed city center in the middle of a robot uprising where the player fights an android named Dunas.
    • 2216: The same city, one year later
    • 2230: A dangerous tower where the player fights another android, Oberon.
    • 2503: The air battleship Hermes, where the player fights off another battleship, the Nibelung.

Honestly, while Oberon and Bergamot have really cool designs and the BGM will always hold a special place in my heart, it was extremely lackluster, incoherent story-wise, and basically dropped off with no real resolution. That, and Nibelung as a final boss isn't nearly as cool as the image sprite has you believe; even Pianus is slightly cooler looking, if for nothing but ambiance. You can still fight the mobs in the Monster Park, though.

Awww! That sounds actually pretty cool. If it ever come back, I'll be looking forward to exploring that area. It sounds fun. Oh yeah! One other thing that I noticed from the game. OMG! You guys beefed up the enemies. I remember that ludi use to be an area at 50+. It now is actually almost tippled. I never thought a toy rat could kill me hard til now.
    YinYangX
  • SpuddySpuddy
    Reactions: 620
    edited October 2018
    Being someone who hasn't really logged into an account since the release of Big Bang, I've noticed big changes from back in the days before BB, used to be much harder to level, but at the same time there were more players across every channel of every world. Been a good 5-6 years ago or so but being logged in now it surprises me how much content and just.. everything has gone into this game in such an amount of time. Being a (25) Thief was hard for me or some reason back then, compared to now being a (168) B-mage. xD

Aside from that, not many people play anymore, unless you want to count bots who dissapear into the cash shop (almost every Kanna I find, no offense) especially at Ludi or AR from what I've heard from people from a friendly discord chat. Meso-farmer's and sellers alike as well, but overall to this day the game still has a place in my heart lol.

I play on Scania btw, used to be Bera for the longest time though. Downside is I have a number for a name..
    edited October 2018
    Spuddy wrote: »
    Being someone who hasn't really logged into an account since the release of Big Bang, I've noticed big changes from back in the days before BB, used to be much harder to level, but at the same time there were more players across every channel of every world. Been a good 5-6 years ago or so but being logged in now it surprises me how much content and just.. everything has gone into this game in such an amount of time. Being a (25) Thief was hard for me or some reason back then, compared to now being a (168) B-mage. xD

Aside from that, not many people play anymore, unless you want to count bots who dissapear into the cash shop (almost every Kanna I find, no offense) especially at Ludi or AR from what I've heard from people from a friendly discord chat. Meso-farmer's and sellers alike as well, but overall to this day the game still has a place in my heart lol.

I play on Scania btw, used to be Bera for the longest time though. Downside is I have a number for a name..

Yeah! I was a level 70 white knight before BB. I was DarivinL of Khaini, but I don't even have that account anymore over time. I am a white knight now, and it was surprising I am almost at or about to exceed my old character in less than a month, and I remember it took me almost half a year or more to get him at the same level. It was hard during those times. Again Zakum was actually the only boss you can fight back than too. I never fought him, but I was close. I usually help people with the old mine game to collect scrolls and get stuff.

Well, I noticed if you play around my time, the botters come out to play because they are not afraid when I came around. I don't think they are even paying attention to their screens becuase I was on the map for a while and it was still going. Weird because their character is floating (not even touching the ground) and teleport everywhere.

I play in Renegades, and as before I use to play Khaini. I could still create names. That's pretty odd to still not be able to claim a name. Aren't you afraid people may mistake you as a hacker using a number name?

• NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    The number name comes from the name-clearing that happened some time ago. All accounts who had not logged in to the game for some time (something like 3 years at the time of the event) had their character names deleted and changed to numbers, freeing up hundreds of names for more active players. Ample warning emails were sent out to all players who would be affected, and players only had to log in once to keep their names.
    For a short time after the clearing event, GMs would freely change the names of characters of anyone who happened to miss the event or not log in on time. There were also several events that gave away free name change coupons for a period of time.

That was some time ago, so the event is long over. Name change coupons are still available in the cash shop for 15,000 NX, but GMs have stopped doing free name changes to my knowledge. They might still do it, but I wouldn't rely on it.
    edited October 2018
    Wow... that's $15.00 just to change a name.... I think I'd rather buy more slots to make characters. It only cost $6.90. 2 Character slots will only be $13.80. Sorry, I love translating Nx cash back into american dollars. Actually, let me know if you are having a black friday sale. You can tell me. Can you Neospector? Better to wait on maple black friday ;) Give a little girl some juicy details about it.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    Black Friday is usually when permanent transparent items go on sale, so yeah, you'll hear about it from everyone when it rolls around.
    edited October 2018
    Thank you! That is what I am waiting for. Thank you for letting me know. I'll be looking forward to it.
  • SpuddySpuddy
    Reactions: 620
    edited October 2018
    Spuddy wrote: »

Yeah! I was a level 70 white knight before BB. I was DarivinL of Khaini, but I don't even have that account anymore over time. I am a white knight now, and it was surprising I am almost at or about to exceed my old character in less than a month, and I remember it took me almost half a year or more to get him at the same level. It was hard during those times. Again Zakum was actually the only boss you can fight back than too. I never fought him, but I was close. I usually help people with the old mine game to collect scrolls and get stuff.

Well, I noticed if you play around my time, the botters come out to play because they are not afraid when I came around. I don't think they are even paying attention to their screens becuase I was on the map for a while and it was still going. Weird because their character is floating (not even touching the ground) and teleport everywhere.

I play in Renegades, and as before I use to play Khaini. I could still create names. That's pretty odd to still not be able to claim a name. Aren't you afraid people may mistake you as a hacker using a number name?

Yeah I haven't talked to anyone in game because I'm kinda secluded from everyone else if thats the right word. Zakum at my level (normal) is like a few punches, czak isn't gonna be possible without level 220+ to my knowledge solo, uness you're my level with 3-5 people in a party even though we don't see anyone anymore so lol. I haven't ran into anyone who looked at me like a hacker but I've reported many of them. The hackers on my world seem to have a "d36g9bkue" type of username instead of a number. I feel like I'm the only person in my area to even have a name like that.
    The number name comes from the name-clearing that happened some time ago. All accounts who had not logged in to the game for some time (something like 3 years at the time of the event) had their character names deleted and changed to numbers, freeing up hundreds of names for more active players. Ample warning emails were sent out to all players who would be affected, and players only had to log in once to keep their names.
    For a short time after the clearing event, GMs would freely change the names of characters of anyone who happened to miss the event or not log in on time. There were also several events that gave away free name change coupons for a period of time.

That was some time ago, so the event is long over. Name change coupons are still available in the cash shop for 15,000 NX, but GMs have stopped doing free name changes to my knowledge. They might still do it, but I wouldn't rely on it.

I talked to a GM over the live chat the other few days ago before and they said they changed both my numbered character names, but when I logged in, it's still a number and nothing changed. I can't remember the GM's name but i think it was a J name, but 5 letters or something like that. I'd rather just kinda have it changed like that instead of paying the 15 dollars to do it because I was never aware of the name changes, I haven't actually seen an email, otherwise it would've popped on my hone a long time ago saying they changed things. If I have to pay 15 dollars, I'll just have to wait until I can get it I suppose. :/ lol
    edited October 2018
    So, I tried to attempt to fight zakum... but the waiting period takes a long time. Is this normal?
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    So, I tried to attempt to fight zakum... but the waiting period takes a long time. Is this normal?

If you mean you tried to boss queue (t), yes. Boss queues tend to be dead unless it's around reset time (at least from my experience). Probably would be faster if made your way to El Nath manually.
    LoyalHeartTiger
    edited October 2018
    El Nath manually... So, It's basically getting closer. Because... going there by foot looks like suicide according to the map. I don't mind a butt whoopin once and a while, but slaughter house is another story.
  • ChroniusNightmareChroniusNightmare
    Reactions: 1,975
    edited October 2018
    El Nath manually... So, It's basically getting closer. Because... going there by foot looks like suicide according to the map. I don't mind a butt whoopin once and a while, but slaughter house is another story.

Good news! You don't have to trek that far at all. Just step inside the 3rd job building for explorers and talk to the one that is for your class and they were send you do the Zakem area for free. When you reach the entrance for Zakum, talk to Adobis for free Eyes of Fire. Yes, FREE! No more running through the mines or having to do a jump quest! Cracked Eye of Fire is for Easy Zakum, and regular Eye of Fire is for Normal and Chaos. To get back to town, just talk to Adobis in the 4th option to go back to El Nath, never having stepped foot in the nasty star-forced areas to be roasted alive or body slammed to death.
    LoyalHeartTiger
    edited October 2018
    THANK YOU!
    ChroniusNightmare